PDA

View Full Version : ELSA External Modem

DavidTempler
06-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi There
Can anybody tell me how to get my ELSA Microlink Modem working?
Knoppix finds the modem and I can dial up my ISP but It does not connect I get error 10 & 19 unalbe to read /var/ !
Do I need to set up my country first on the modem or is it not possible to run a modem using Knoppix CD?

:mrgreen:

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 04:13 AM
Hi There
Can anybody tell me how to get my ELSA Microlink Modem working?
Knoppix finds the modem and I can dial up my ISP but It does not connect I get error 10 & 19 unalbe to read /var/ !
Do I need to set up my country first on the modem or is it not possible to run a modem using Knoppix CD?

Definitely possible to use a modem with Knoppix. How is your modem connected? Serial? USB? Always give some details.

Have you tried any of the modem config tools from the menu?

How about the search function here on the site?

Sorry but I wouldn't expect too much assistance from me- I haven't used a modem in many years and I've probably forgotten more than I knew. ;)

DavidTempler
06-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi again,

I have a serial external modem I could not connect at the time (I have a feeling its a server thing)

Now I have Web & Email up and running.......

I wish there could be doc. on Modems it would save a lot of hassle ( I do not seem to be alone on this...)

Now that I have Sound Screen & Modem I would like to install Linux fully....

Thanks Again for your Time

Dave :mrgreen:

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Hi again,

I have a serial external modem I could not connect at the time (I have a feeling its a server thing)

Now I have Web & Email up and running.......

I wish there could be doc. on Modems it would save a lot of hassle ( I do not seem to be alone on this...)

Now that I have Sound Screen & Modem I would like to install Linux fully....

Thanks Again for your Time

Dave :mrgreen:

Some documentation on modems you say? That is a good idea. IMHO it would be best written by:
A) Somone who uses a modem.
B) Someone who had to work at it a little to figure it out.

So now that you've got it working are you not going to tell us how you did it? Think about this:

Mr. X boots Knoppix. Everything is great except- his Micromodem won't work. Mr. X (being the good Linux user that he is) does a search and lo and behold there it is! A post about his own modem but wait! There isn't an answer at the end of the one and only post about Micromodems. You see where I'm going with this right?

Perhaps you were not aware that anybody can write docs on this site. It is called a wiki- check it out and see if you can contribute in some way. You could start small and others could add to it and in time.......well we might just have another great how-to for modem users. :)

DavidTempler
06-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Message understood over & out :mrgreen:

jammers
06-29-2003, 03:01 PM
hey
i have exactyly the same porblem and i have exactly the same modem
caould uy please tell me how u fixed it?

DavidTempler
06-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi , can you tell me about your problem & I may be able to help ....

I have got my modem working but under 3.2 I cannot save settings for internet , so i have to enter then every time I boot Knoppix :x

jammers
06-30-2003, 09:28 PM
its on com2
i enterin all my acounts
qwery the modem
when i connect it dials
but does not ortharise and gives exit vals 10 & 19

i havent got any drivers for it
and it is knoppix 3.2 think :? (it came free on julys pc format)

DavidTempler
07-02-2003, 09:31 PM
jammers in KPPP go set up ,query modem does it show the name of your modem if it does then you have the correct device....as for drivers you need none (thats the beauty of ex.modems)

the only settings I needed to get my modem running was phone number log in ( name) & password leave all others alone ....

jammers
07-04-2003, 07:15 PM
i mannaged to get it
i used PAP and it worked (i had used it b4 :? and i didnt work) must of been there problem

thanx for hte help