PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix

germanramirez
06-15-2003, 04:20 PM
I'm a newbie and would like to try linux. But the disclaimer scared me away with it's not responsible for damag to hardware saying. Is there any truth to that? Can software really damage my hardware? I really would like to try knoppix but not if there is a chance that it will break my new computer. Can someone tell me if it can break my computer?
germanramirezvazquez@hotmail.com

Stephen
06-15-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm a newbie and would like to try linux. But the disclaimer scared me away with it's not responsible for damag to hardware saying. Is there any truth to that? Can software really damage my hardware? I really would like to try knoppix but not if there is a chance that it will break my new computer. Can someone tell me if it can break my computer?
germanramirezvazquez@hotmail.com
Any software can break your computer setup if not used properly and if you think that disclamer is scary read the EULA that comes with windows. You basically sign away any rights you have and they can do anything they want to your computer with no gurantee that the software will even work.

Anyway now that I'm done my rant it should work fine I have never had any problems with data loss.

rickenbacherus
06-16-2003, 04:16 AM
Something you may not be aware of: Linux is nothing like another OS we don't need to mention here (again). ;)

With Linux you have control. You may think you know your hardware but I promise you that if you decide to learn Linux you'll learn more than you ever imagined was possible. With this knowledge is a certain risk. For example: Can you change your hard drive from 16bit I/O to 32bit I/O on the fly from the commandline? Nah. There are tools here that, if used improperly do have the ability to cause hardware damage. As Stephen said, I've never had any hardware broken because of Linux.

Remember- you are using GNU, Open Source, Free software. It's understandable that the license should include a disclaimer to the effect of "it's free so don't hold me responsible". At least with GNU/Linux you get a warning up front. There are no hidden clauses, fine print etc. It's all there for you to read- please do read about free software by the way. Not "freeware winapps" where with each download you get a complimentary virus. Here in GNU land- you get what you don't pay for.

Do yourself a favor and try Linux- then come back and tell us why you're dumping wimpdoze. :)

muzzletalk
06-17-2003, 03:15 AM
I have never seen a piece of software from any manufaturer that has never had that warning or of similar type. Nobody wants to take responsability. Knoppix is a little different though. Before you load it on your HD just run it from the CD.