PDA

View Full Version : newb cable modem help

beetlebz
06-16-2003, 12:41 AM
hey guys,

I just started playing around a wee bit today with knoppix for the first time. keep in mind im a complete and total newb to linux :X Ive been searching forums, knoppix help, and either i cant find it or its just not there, but how do I get my cable modem to work through knoppix? its a motorola surfboard thru earthlink, running through a linksys NIC. i just cant find an option anywhere in the gui to configure my cable modem! what am I doing wrong, or what am i not doing?

Stephen
06-16-2003, 12:55 AM
How do you connect by static settings, DHCP do you use PPPoE ? If you use PPPoE (you have to connect it's not always on) then there is a tool in the Knoppix menu IIRC. If you could provide a little more information it would be easier to help.

beetlebz
06-16-2003, 01:24 AM
honestly i know as little about cable networking as i do about linux. I do not have to dial up. i just installed my nic card, plugged everything in, and ran the windows connection wizard. i know my internet is always connected and i do NOT have to do anything to access the internet. just turn the comp on and its there. thats about all i know about it :\

Stephen
06-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Well in that case you are more than likely connecting via DHCP. Some things you can try:

Open a console window (the clam shell icon in the taskbar) and enter netcardconfig for the network card configuration tool and agree yes to dhcp and you will see messages in the window to tell if it has been successful (if not post the error). Also in the console window ifconfig eth0 will tell you the settings of your ethernet card. You can also use the ping command to see if you can contact the internet eg. ping www.google.com or ping 216.239.39.99 which is google's IP address. Whatever errors if any you get post them.

Also be a little more specfic as to the steps you have tried eg. I turned on the computer and booted the CD when I enter some address in Mozilla and try to connect I get this error blah blah ... that sort of thing will help to get it working.

beetlebz
06-16-2003, 04:52 AM
when i ran netcardconfig it said:
"sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed. failed."

when i ran ifconfig eth0 everything was zero except for dropped received packets, which was 378.

anything else ya need to know?

Stephen
06-16-2003, 05:44 AM
when i ran netcardconfig it said:
"sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed. failed."

when i ran ifconfig eth0 everything was zero except for dropped received packets, which was 378.

anything else ya need to know?

In a console window the output of :

lspci -v

dmesg | grep eth0

lsmod

and the model number of the network card (should be in the output of lspci if not include).

beetlebz
06-21-2003, 09:27 PM
errr sorry stephen, I got suddenly very busy with work and ran out of time to play with linux :(

I'll come back and figure it out once and for all when I finish building my filesharing box :)