PDA

View Full Version : probs with SB Live!

beetlebz
06-16-2003, 12:44 AM
hey,

today is my first day with knoppix, and for that matter, any form of linux. when the system boots knoppix from the CD, it shows my sblive! in the startup hardware list, but when the GUI comes to its loading screen, i hear a womans voice go "init, init, init, init..." in a constant loop and i can do nothing about it besides turn off my speakers. am i doing somthing wrong?

Loper
06-16-2003, 01:41 AM
today is my first day with knoppix, and for that matter, any form of linux. when the system boots knoppix from the CD, it shows my sblive! in the startup hardware list, but when the GUI comes to its loading screen, i hear a womans voice go "init, init, init, init..." in a constant loop and i can do nothing about it besides turn off my speakers. am i doing somthing wrong?
SB Live! is supported OK. There may be other problems, though, which can lead to this symptom. The first thing to do is test the CD -- from the boot: prompt, the cheat-code syntax is Knoppix testcd. If the CD is OK, try the alternate sound driver -- Knoppix alsa. If it's still giving you fits, BIOS settings are next. Disable PnP OS and Assign IRQ to PCI VGA. This last can be a problem if the sound card is in the first PCI slot -- the one next to the AGP video card slot. I always leave that first PCI slot empty if I can help it; it shares a hardware interrupt with the AGP slot -- if the sound card is there, move it if possible. If all this fails, more system details are in order.

Good luck! I think you'll have fun with Knoppix.