PDA

View Full Version : possible to format partition as reiserfs during hdinstall?

stefan_isaacs
06-16-2003, 06:11 AM
As the subject line says.

Is it possible to format a partition as reiserfs during hard disk install?
If not, it seems problematic.. 'cause one would have to boot into
Linux to run mkfs.reiserfs (as someone else recommended) wouldn't one?

I think the best way to do this might be to boot off the 3.2 CD, remount the hard disks as rw, run mkfs.reiserfs on all the partitions, and then remount the partions ro (or just reboot) and then do the hd_install?

But I suppose my question is that some elements of Knoppix depend on the HD, right? Maybe just the swap so if I leave the swap partition alone I'm ok? The rest of Knoppix runs off a combo of CD and ramdisk?

thanks for any clarification,
Stefan

rickenbacherus
06-16-2003, 12:57 PM
As the subject line says.

Is it possible to format a partition as reiserfs during hard disk install?

thanks for any clarification,
Stefan

Sure it is.

stefan_isaacs
06-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Perhaps a little clue??

It is not one of the options presented by cfdisk (2.11z) during the
standard knx-hdinstall..

I cannot even choose ext3 apparently. Just Linux and Linux swap
(selections 82 and 83) I believe.

Is reiserfs perhaps called something else or did your response simply mean that it was "possible" if not necessarily within the context of cfdisk?

thanks,
S.

rickenbacherus
06-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Perhaps a little clue??

It is not one of the options presented by cfdisk (2.11z) during the
standard knx-hdinstall..

I cannot even choose ext3 apparently. Just Linux and Linux swap
(selections 82 and 83) I believe.

Is reiserfs perhaps called something else or did your response simply mean that it was "possible" if not necessarily within the context of cfdisk?

thanks,
S.

Oh.......now I see what you're asking- cfdisk cannot select reiserfs or any other filesystem for that matter. It just marks a partition as Linux, swap or whatever. When you do the install there will be a menu to choose your file system type from.

stefan_isaacs
06-17-2003, 06:07 AM
My mistake.. thanks much. Sorry for not being more precise at the start.

cheers,
Stefan

rickenbacherus
06-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey no problem. I have actually been seeing quite a few people (Knoppix mailing list included) saying that the option to format w/ Reiser was not there. In fact- it has gotten a few nasty answers from a few people. Not sure what's going on- maybe some releases are broken? I haven't seen the issue myself but that could conceiveably be because I already have all of my partitions formatted w/ Reiser. Let us know if the option doesn't show up for you- of course it's always best to use the latest release (6-6-03 at the time of this post) unless you have hardware that just absolutely won't work otherwise.

ron4ld
07-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Hellooo I'm a total newbie here....
what's the option number in cfdisk for Journalised FS , ext3, & Reiser FS

thx
-Ronald-

Dave_Bechtel
07-08-2003, 08:52 PM
--As mentioned above, you only need to make sure your "target" partitions are type 83, with at least 1 partition of 128-500Meg being type 82(swap.) The type of filesystem that then goes on that partition is selected later on, at a different point in the script.

Hellooo I'm a total newbie here....
what's the option number in cfdisk for Journalised FS , ext3, & Reiser FS

thx
-Ronald-