PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix, Optiplex -- No Boot After load

cnelson
01-07-2003, 07:45 PM
I've found an odd problem here at work. We've got some new Dell Optiplex GX260. After loading Knoppix (which seems to work fine) and then after shutting down, the computer won't reboot. It doesn't even post the bios. Just powers on and stays black.

Thankfully, it is recoverable -- the trick is to unplug the power from the back of the box and then restart. Any ideas on why the Knoppix CD or shutdown process would put a box in this state?

eadz
01-07-2003, 08:35 PM
quite a common problem it seems with those dells :

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=423

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=717

someone said they had to unplug the ram and put it back in..

I suspect an apm bug. does it still do it if you use the cheatcode

"knoppix noapm noacpi" at boot ?

cnelson
01-07-2003, 09:31 PM
These options don't seem to make a difference. It still shuts down, and it still locks out the bios on the next reboot.

Unplugging the pwer cord does seem like it fixes the problem. I don't know about removing the ram :)

Oddly enough, even though the system clearly says it's not enabling apm in the boot messages, the system will still do a full shutdown and power off the machine. Odd.

I 've even tried halting manually, hitting the power button at 'Knoppix halted' instead of waiting for it to eject the cd and turn off ... but it still doesn't seem to make any difference. Leads me to think its happening somewhere else.

In a related note I use debian on some of these systems, and I haven't experinced this type of problem before. Not sure what option is causing the problem...

Tigren
01-07-2003, 10:05 PM
That sounds really strange. I don't have an answer, but please keep us posted on what you find. Sounds interesting.

A. Jorge Garcia
01-07-2003, 10:22 PM
I may have a related problem. After running knx-hdinstall on an old Gateway (PII233/32MB RAM) I can run the Debian install fine.

However, after shutdown, when I power-up (cold-boot), nothing happens. I try again and I get "no operating system found." I then warm-boot (ctrl-alt-del) and finally get the dual boot screen.

What a pain!

Anyone else encounter something like this and find a fix?

Thanx,

cnelson
01-08-2003, 01:04 AM
Hmm. I really think this has got to be a problem with the ACPI. But it doesn't look like Knoppix is properly disabling it. For instance, I notice what looks like a typo in the [F2] instructions on boot:

says i can disable napic <-- shouldn't that be no acpi ?
ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)

APIC is the timer ... I don't think anyone would want to diable it (can you?)

I nknow I've gotten them mixed up before ...

However, neither noapic nor noacpi seem to disable the power management. (I don't think it's a problem with the old APM module, though I've been disabling that as well -- and I read the diag that's it IS in fact diabled).

The computer is still shutting down by itself and the reboot continues to require unplugging before it recognizes the BIOS.

01-08-2003, 03:13 AM
These options don't seem to make a difference. It still shuts down, and it still locks out the bios on the next reboot.

Unplugging the pwer cord does seem like it fixes the problem. I don't know about removing the ram :)

Oddly enough, even though the system clearly says it's not enabling apm in the boot messages, the system will still do a full shutdown and power off the machine. Odd.

I 've even tried halting manually, hitting the power button at 'Knoppix halted' instead of waiting for it to eject the cd and turn off ... but it still doesn't seem to make any difference. Leads me to think its happening somewhere else.

In a related note I use debian on some of these systems, and I haven't experinced this type of problem before. Not sure what option is causing the problem...

I've seen this too. It is very strange. I had to pull the CMOS battery to get it back up.

darose
01-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Same problem here: a Dell 4550 and Win XP; screen boots to black (no BIOS) after I use Knoppix. Diagnostic lights in back are indicating a memory problem ... I think. (Hard to read those things.)

Am able to solve the problem by opening the PC case and then closing it up again. Maybe that causes the BIOS to re-examine the system fresh again, and kicks it out of whatever "bad memory" state it's in. Your guess is as good as mine.

Would love to know a fix for this.

DR

cnelson
01-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Well no fix yet. I've tried pretty much every combination on these machines to no avail. A few notes.

The dell ACPI doesn't look like it's supported under linux. I don't think, however, that the kernel is using ACPI for power management.

Even when I use noapm on the boo tline, the apm module is still showing up in 'lsmod' . Trying to rmmod on apm give a device busy errror.

I do seem to be able to avoid unpluggin the power cord if I use reboot from the root prompt and go into another load (debian or windows) nd let one of them shut down the computer.

Sorry, no fix so far ....

Stonent
01-09-2003, 02:41 AM
Well no fix yet. I've tried pretty much every combination on these machines to no avail. A few notes.

The dell ACPI doesn't look like it's supported under linux. I don't think, however, that the kernel is using ACPI for power management.

Even when I use noapm on the boo tline, the apm module is still showing up in 'lsmod' . Trying to rmmod on apm give a device busy errror.

I do seem to be able to avoid unpluggin the power cord if I use reboot from the root prompt and go into another load (debian or windows) nd let one of them shut down the computer.

Sorry, no fix so far ....

I've started a thread here: http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=oplex_other&message.id=9592

Maybe some others will join in.

cnelson
01-09-2003, 07:45 PM
One thing I noted, was that after running 'dmesg' I get some info about the ACPI and it clearly states that it isn't recognized, and then it mentions that it's a XEON acpi ? Huh, Don't know what that's about. Is that right? Or is Linux screwing things up here.

Rubicant
01-09-2003, 08:20 PM
This may warrant looking into... But of course..Dell's are screwy in many ways.

So a Knoptiplex won't work....interesting.

(knoppix + Optiplex)

Dave_Bechtel
01-09-2003, 10:09 PM
>> So a Knoptiplex won't work....interesting.
(knoppix + Optiplex)

--Good one! Ka-nop-ti-plex... ROFL

This may warrant looking into... But of course..Dell's are screwy in many ways.

So a Knoptiplex won't work....interesting.

(knoppix + Optiplex)

Rubicant
01-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Is this a Dell precision workstation 750?