PDA

View Full Version : screen's background going black and super irritating gesture's driven GUI ...

Albretch
11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
I need to use knoppix 6.7.1 (dvd version) because I need to use its ANSI C and ANSI C++ compilers for some projects:

$ uname -a Linux Microknoppix 3.0.4 #12 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 8 05:27:05 CEST 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

there are however two really annoying things with that version of knoppix.

1) the screen's background tends to go black (except the title bar) and what is supposed to be black (background of terminal windows) turns white. I don't think it is related to the monitor at all or the hardware it is run on because I use it with different hardware bases at work and at home. It seems to be related to fat finger typing and I haven't been able to notice exactly which keys did I press (or at which speed?) or how to turn the display back to its proper state

2) also, there is this new super irritating thing about windows opening and closing in funky ways, as well as closing and moving around the display when you are trying to reach them with the mouse, which I really, really, really would like to stop how can you have your windows opening and closing as they used to?

I think these two problems relate to each other because when I have like 5 of those funky windows open, the screen turns black.

I remember not long ago that on one version of knoppix the background of terminal windows had some stupid transparency for "visual effects" some "visually motivated" people would say

How could you troubleshoot/reconfigure those problems?

lbrtchx

utu
11-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Are you using a laptop with a keypad by any chance?
If not, you probably need to give us a few more clues.

Werner P. Schulz
11-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Try the cheatcode
knoppix no3dto deactivate compiz 3d functions.

utu
11-22-2011, 11:04 PM
If Werner's hunch is right, then maybe you can be selective
in turning off just some of the Compiz effects.

The two Compiz effects that displease me most are:

Preferences>Compiz>Window Mgmt>Scale and
Preferences>Compiz>Desktop>Expo

These are effects triggered when the mouse cursor is at
some screen edge or corner, as I recall.

Gondarc
11-23-2011, 10:12 AM
This may be related ... I normally use the quick codes ctrl+c for "copy" and ctrl+v for "paste", but Linux terminal (on the distros I have used so far, so it may not be general) requires ctrl+shift+c and ctrl+shift+v, respectively. However, Compiz appears to use ctrl+shift+c to invert the display within the windows (not the title bar or edges) for the visually impaired (hence the black/white change, and in the case of "crux" colour scheme that I prefer, light blue headers on knoppix.net turn beige) and ctrl+shift+v has no effect. I was wondering how to bypass the Compiz reaction and get the key sequences (or a replacement) to work within the terminal, but still retain the Compiz control, because I have colleagues who are visually impaired who do use Compiz for this facility ... I will have to contact one to find out what he does in the terminal ... I resort to using the copy and paste facilities under the edit menu, but the long-windedness of this is the reason why I like the shortcut key sequences.

Albretch
11-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Werner for President!
~
knoppix no3d
~
did it for me and I very much doubt that it was a hardware thing since it was happening in all computers I use, but anyway for the record those are the graphic interfaces of the computers I use most:
~
$ lspci | grep VGA 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 04)
~
$ lspci | grep VGA 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
~
$ lspci | grep VGA 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
~
and by the way. Thank you for letting me know such things are very important for some people. I am glad to hear that there was a reason for that 3d thing to be in your interface
~
lbrtchx