PDA

View Full Version : USB stick undectable after Knoppix Flash Install

Terry M
12-03-2011, 05:05 AM
I have downloaded Knoppix 6.7.1, verified the MD5 checksum and burnt is slowly at 1x to cd. Knoppix booted from CD with no cheat codes. I then inserted a 1 GB usb memory stick and used Gparted to create a new partition table (used the default msdos type partition table), then created a new partition (fat32) then set the flag to 'boot'. I used the Knoppix menu command to install knoppix to flash drive. I told it to format and it began working. At the end I got this error message
cp: reading 'KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': input/output error

After acknowledging the message, I went to file manager to take a look at the drive contents. The drive is not detected at all. It does not show on the list of devices, mounted or unmounted. I went to Gparted, but Gparted cant detect it either.

So I booted back to Windows, ran Partition Wizard which detects the drive, reformated it. and now it can be seen by a Knoppix booted system again.

So I repeated the above dance trying a different usb stick, one that has booted Puppy Linux before, but I get the same error message and same undetectable drive. I also tried a gpt partition table type, and a flash install this time with file copying only no formatting. Same error message each time, same undetectable drive.

What is the problem? I don't see what I'm doing wrong if anything, but I have little Linux experience and none with Knoppix so I may be missing something.