PDA

View Full Version : usb boot+apps

binary_dreamer
02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
at the moment i created a boot usb of knoppix using pendrive.
everything is OK and i copy it to ram to be faster.
during my first boot i have been asked to create a folder (1GB) to have all my files there, which i have done.
will it be possible to do all the system update/upgrade/app installation by making use of that space without touching the other drives?

Werner P. Schulz
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
..to do all the system update/upgrade/app installation..For that all I think you need at least 5-10 GB free space in your persistent memory.

But be aware you may run in trouble, if you try to update Knoppix and you will get serious problems, if you upgrade it except when you are a very experienced user.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

binary_dreamer
02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
thanks a lot for the reply.
how about the installation of a few apps of no more than 100MB all together.
will it be installed in the 1GB of the USB or will destroy my other system?

Werner P. Schulz
02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
By default other partitions of your productive OS are not mounted within your Knoppx session. Therefore you can install some apps to Knoppix or delete something; all of this is only written to your persistent memory.

binary_dreamer
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
in order to speed up the whole process during the boot i choose:
knoppix toram no3d
i pressume that this is OK and will save everything in the space of the USB?
or is another way to make it safer?

Werner P. Schulz
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
If you have a lot of RAM, you can use the cheatcode "toram". But it doesn't make anything more safe. There still remains the abilitiy to mount all your partitions and to write to it. To be really safe, remove the cables from the hard drives before booting Knoppix.