PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo wireless Driver

soxnil
02-22-2012, 12:00 AM
I have bought about 10 Lenovo all in one wireless computers and i have installed Knoppix sucessfuly but somehow i am getting error on wireless card. wireless card is not showing up when i do ifconfig. I do know that i need a driver for wireless card which is broadcom Device 4358. I have tried to find a driver but i have not able to find it? Also, if someone could tell me how can i install driver on this box and how can i make wireless card to show up in fi config once i install the driver. I need this to be done in a week .

thanks.

utu
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Perhaps this will help:
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt
Let us know how it goes.

soxnil
02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I tried that but it didnt work. I have Linux Microknoppix 2.6.32.6 #8 installed. Is it 32 bit system I think it is. Also, Once i get the driver where does the wireless driver resides which file i should put it in to. If you give me some steps would be great.

soxnil
02-22-2012, 11:08 PM
I have Linux microknoppix installed and when i do ifconfig command the wlan0 adapter does not show up. Also, when i do iwconfig it says no such device found. Please help? if i need a driver.. once i extract it what is the next step. If you could send me a brief overview of how t install driver on unix that would be helpful if i am missing a driver.

Werner P. Schulz
02-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Did you tried the hints for Network Wireless (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:FAQ_Page)?

utu
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
@ soxnil

As I read it, the Broadcom document says the STA driver applies to 4358 series.

The STA driver can easily be installed via Synaptic.

Synaptic either already has the driver, can get the driver from an all-up CD or DVD,
or you need to download it from the internet.

If the latter is true, you can use a separate external wifi as a means of obtaining
the STA driver. Drivers for some external wifis are already built into the Linux
kernel. I have an old Netgear WG111v2 which I use to bring in the STA driver.

Other avenues is are, Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS; their LiveCDs include the STA driver.

utu
02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
I have Linux Microknoppix 2.6.32.6 #8 installed.

This must be an old version of Knoppix. The current flavor is Knoppix 6.7.1 with a
3.0.4 Linux kernel. 2.6.32.6 may pre-date current STA drivers.