PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 7.0 Same procedure as every year!

Eppo
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Same procedure as every year!
K. Knopper is presenting the new Knoppix 7.0 at CeBIT Hannover
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
An article about the new features is there (German, couldnīt find it in English):
http://www.linux-magazin.de/Heft-Abo/Ausgaben/2012/04/Knoppix-7.0/

A download-version will come (as every year) later. ;)

utu
02-29-2012, 04:17 PM
For the german-challenged, like myself, you can get a better
idea using google translate. Just add it to your browser toolbar.

http://translate.google.com/translate_tools

Some things don't come through quite right. I think Klaus has
REPLACED lxrandr with arandr. I would, anyway.

Capricorny
03-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Looks evolutionary rather than revolutionary to me, I think that's fine.
Shall be interesting to see how the advertised chroot into a pure 64-bits system may work in practice.

utu
03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
'
Find this at:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix70-en.html

utu
03-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Availability

KNOPPIX 7.0 / ADRIANE 1.4 is currently included exclusively in Linux Magazine (http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2012/137/On-the-DVD-Knoppix-7.0). About 4 weeks after CeBIT, the public edition of CD and DVD will be available for download again from the usual KNOPPIX mirror sites (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html).

utu
03-08-2012, 01:44 AM
A few more details trickle out:
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/CeBIT-2012-Knoppix-7-0-presented-1464749.html

Capricorny
03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I wonder if someone with access to the 7.0 DVD could uncompress the minirt and post the 7.0 init script. That might save us some work later, to make the announced 7.0.1 maintenance release as good as possible.

utu
03-08-2012, 10:41 PM
@ Capricorny
Perhaps a pm to Werner?

Werner P. Schulz
03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
I have sent it to your email-address.

Greetings Werner

ruymbeke
03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Hello,
I also would like to get the Knoppix 7.0 minirt for the same reason.
The magazine will only show up in a month in the US...
Thx, Gilles

ICPUG
03-13-2012, 01:27 AM
Hello,
I also would like to get the Knoppix 7.0 minirt for the same reason.
The magazine will only show up in a month in the US...
Thx, Gilles

I have put the file here for you to download:
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/programs/minirt.gz

Let me know when you have it as I will remove it afterwards.

Note that the file size is the same as that for Knoppix 6.70 so it may not have changed since then.

ruymbeke
03-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Hi ICPUG,
I got it. Thank you very much ! :razz:
Best Regards,
Gilles

PS: the changes in the Knoppix 7.0 minirt init script are very minor:
mainly some text update (unicode char added) and an almost insignificant bug fix.
That means less work for me when I will get the DVD... :grin:

utu
03-13-2012, 06:25 PM
A new DistroWatch summary page for Knoppix 7.0 at:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix
But no new link to free 7.0 CDs & DVDs yet.

Werner P. Schulz
03-13-2012, 08:03 PM
KK anounced the appearance of the new free versions in about five or six weeks after the CeBIT.

Werner P. Schulz
03-14-2012, 11:53 PM
I have finished the script to remaster (http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html) the CeBIT version of Knoppix V7.0DVD and adapted the HowTo (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto) of chroot-method.

VeryConcerned
03-19-2012, 04:38 AM
I've noticed that there is a bittorrent now out that says its Knoppix 7. My query is how valid is this image ? If (as I suspect it might be, seeing as it can be remastered fairly easily) it is an image with malware in it, then perhaps it might save many people heartache if an MD5 and or an SHA1 of the genuine image is published ? I say this because there is bound to be many people unwilling to wait for the image being published on the official mirrors etc. or unable to source the magazine that it is initially released upon. This is not intended to be a scaremongering post, just one that is trying to help people not potentially become infected if the said torrent image is a bad one.

Werner P. Schulz
03-19-2012, 08:53 AM
The Knoppix V7.0DVD is the CeBIT version; you could get it at the CeBIT or you can buy the magazine (especially in Germany) with the DVD in it. KK doesn't offers this CeBIT versions for download and therefore he doesn't publish the md5sum for this versions.

All obscure V7 of Knoppix for download aren't authorized by KK.

JimmyGiro
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
I have finished the script to remaster (http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html) the CeBIT version of Knoppix V7.0DVD and adapted the HowTo (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto) of chroot-method.

Greetings Werner, from a Linux noob.

I've noticed that Knoppix has a small programme for installing Knoppix to an empty and formatted USB drive, from a live running DVD, or another live USB drive.

Presumably this programme installs a vanilla copy of the original Knoppix files, minus any user changes such as updates and preferences, which reside in the 'persistence' file, if using an USB live system; which, presumably, is not copied to the second empty USB drive.

Could your remastering and recombining script, be integrated in such a way as to allow a user with a running modified Knoppix USB system, to 'simply' press the "install to usb" button, and have the 'new' system installed on an empty USB drive, with all the personal modifications recombined; leaving the user free to create a fresh persistence file, at next launch?

Such a process being performed without using any 'swap-space' on HD drives, but using only system ram and the two USB drives, one live and the other empty.

VeryConcerned
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
The Knoppix V7.0DVD is the CeBIT version; you could get it at the CeBIT or you can buy the magazine (especially in Germany) with the DVD in it. KK doesn't offers this CeBIT versions for download and therefore he doesn't publish the md5sum for this versions.

All obscure V7 of Knoppix for download aren't authorized by KK.

Thanks for your reply, I guessed as much that was the case in order to give some sort of exclusivity to the said magazine? (or possibly allow time for more polishing before general release maybe ?)
It is unfortunate then that the MD5 and SHA1 are not published until the official general release occurs, it might help in diminishing potential malware flourishing if the MD5 and SHA1 checksums were published even if the actual images were not until later.

utu
03-19-2012, 03:00 PM
@ VeryConcerned

Thanks for your concern.
I agree it is prudent to 'pass up' this possibility.
By my count, we may have something 'official' on the mirrors in about three weeks.

Werner P. Schulz
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Could your .. recombining script, be integrated in such a way as to allow a user with a running modified Knoppix USB system, to 'simply' press the "install to usb" button, and have the 'new' system installed on an empty USB drive, with all the personal modifications recombined; Short answer: recombine on the fly isn't possible.

JimmyGiro
03-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Oh well, it was just a hopeful thought. Thanx for the reply, Werner.

ruymbeke
04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Hello,
I finally got my Knoppix 7.0 DVD with the magazine shipped to me by a friend in UK.
I guess there nothing confidential in a md5 hash of the iso file
I created from my purchased DVD using dd from the running Knoppix 7.0:
dc87b42bbd1b60099e33790b5798dd11 *knx70.iso
Best Regards,
Gilles

BTW, I did post here my Knoppix 7.0 modified minirt and virtual machine:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/11589-ISO-boot-from-FAT-NTFS-USB-%28GRUB.exe-grldr-from-boot.ini%29?p=126465#post126465

ruymbeke
04-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Hello,
As reported by Edwin Evenson in the Debian-Knoppix mailing list:

"KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX failed sha1sum on 2 copies of this dvd.
Anyone else have this problem?
TIA
Ed"
I confirm that the sha1 of my /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is:
a5d6cce5250c0a03ad6f501cd0d8b5eb09a48c5c */KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

instead of what is in the /KNOPPIX/sha1sums file:
c873541e03834e9b9574089bf3461e8a8b0f4931 *KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

Best Regards,
Gilles

ruymbeke
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello,
Please find below the content of the file broken-files.txt after running
the following command from a konsole when running the Knoppix 7.0 Live DVD: "sudo tar cf - /KNOPPIX/ 2> broken-files.txt | dd of=/dev/null"

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /KNOPPIX/dev/log: socket ignored
tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin/strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strings: File shrank by 65932 bytes; padding with zeros
tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
tar: /KNOPPIX/var/run/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe: socket ignored
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Interestingly copying the same DVD content from a Windows 7 machine to a hdd does not create any error and
running the same command within a virtual machine using the iso created from the DVD gives the exact same errors:

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo tar cf - /KNOPPIX/ 2> broken-files.txt | dd of=/dev/null
18583120+0 records in
18583120+0 records out
9514557440 bytes (9.5 GB) copied, 124.68 s, 76.3 MB/s
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cat broken-files.txt
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /KNOPPIX/dev/log: socket ignored
tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin/strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strings: File shrank by 65932 bytes; padding with zeros
tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
tar: /KNOPPIX/var/run/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe: socket ignored
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

Please find below the link to the md5 file of the /KNOPPIX content using the following command (skipping the /KNOPPIX/dev directory):
sudo find /KNOPPIX/ | grep -v /dev | xargs md5sum >> knoppix.md5
http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k700/debug/knoopix_md5.zip
Best Regards.
Gilles

otropogo
04-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Does Knoppix 7.0 support USB3.0, DVD-RAM, and/or UDF/DLA access for optical media?

stoneguy
04-19-2012, 08:10 PM
The sha1sum result from the torrent iso matches the one for the iso generated from Linux Pro Magazine: 08a031b548cba80fa83a12ab803661799a15900c. They both fail bootable self-test, however.

sae.area
04-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Hello,

the first time I noticed a problem with the DVD was when I tried to use the feature of copying it to HD from the running Live system. It always failed towards the end of the process. And GRUB is not being updated. When I update GRUB from a different linux installation it finds KNOPPIX and puts an entry into the boot menu. I can start it from there.
Then I ran knoppix testcd and it fails. I tried testdvd and it fails too. Then I thought I have a broken copy so I wrote to Linux Magazine and they sent me a new copy. But it has exactly the same problem.
My machine has 4 GB of RAM of which I have set 1 GB for the video card. My CPU is AMD E350, which is an APU (CPU+GPU).
I tried this on a laptop with 6 GB of RAM and it has the same problem.
I am wondering whether I need more RAM in order to get a successful testcd/testdvd?

Best regards,
Stefan

sae.area
04-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Hello,
As reported by Edwin Evenson in the Debian-Knoppix mailing list:
"KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX failed sha1sum on 2 copies of this dvd.
Anyone else have this problem?
TIA
Ed"
I confirm that the sha1 of my /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is:
a5d6cce5250c0a03ad6f501cd0d8b5eb09a48c5c */KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

instead of what is in the /KNOPPIX/sha1sums file:
c873541e03834e9b9574089bf3461e8a8b0f4931 *KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

Best Regards,
Gilles

My sha1 is the same as yours:
a5d6cce5250c0a03ad6f501cd0d8b5eb09a48c5c */media/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

Best regards,
Stefan

hotlips69
04-26-2012, 04:33 AM
I've been following this thread for over a month now, keenly waiting for Knoppix 7 to appear on the mirror sites, having been using 6.7.1 since it was released.

Is it expected to have been released by now, or could there be anything that's delaying it, i.e. known bugs etc..?

utu
04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
@ hotlips69 & others
Be patient a short while longer; great things are coming.

fatmac
04-26-2012, 06:15 PM
I've been following this thread for over a month now, keenly waiting for Knoppix 7 to appear on the mirror sites, having been using 6.7.1 since it was released.

Is it expected to have been released by now, or could there be anything that's delaying it, i.e. known bugs etc..?

As CeBit was 6-10 March, the release is definately running late.

Others seem to have found a problem with the DVD, so it is likely that this is being investigated, & therefore causing a delay.

I, like you, eagerly await my turn to try it out; having been given to Linux Magazine first has, in my opinion, caused a little bit of unrest to the regulars wanting to get hold of it.

We must, however, remain calm, as this is a work freely given to the community......

8-)

johnmd
05-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Hi Everyone Re problem with Knoppix 7.0 dvd from Linux Magazine [see also my post about this earlier:

http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29797-Knoppix-7.0-HD-Install-from-Linux-Magazine-DVD-error-message

I now have a solution, for me anyway. From the Linux Magazine I have now received a second replacement dvd, a Luxembourg version this time and in it the sha1sum value for the critical /KNOPPIX/ file is ok on this one and this version installs to hd perfectly with no error mesages. This one is a much more substantial dvd, much more rigid than the English version. Oh, it does of course need extra cheatcodes [for me] to set the language and keyboard to English. Hint about doing this is handy in /KNOPPIX/cheatcodes.txt on the dvd - but also I think it is letters z and y are reversed in position from us keyboard.

Best wishes, John

utu
05-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Greetings, johnmd

One of the cheatcodes for an EN version of a Knoppix LiveDVD is 'knoppix testcd',
to be used at the initial boot screen. Have you used that yet? Did it pass?

Thanks.

johnmd
05-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Hi utu
Yes indeed, if you run testcd on the Linux Magazine (EN) dvd you get the reply

checking KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX...Failed!

whereas if you run it on the LinuxUser (LU) dvd you get instead

checking KNOPPIX/background.png...Fehlen!

I'm not a great German scholar but I think I can make a good guess at what 'Fehlen!' means.

In each case after the Failed/Fehlen message it asks if you want to continue anyway - but that is to continue with booting from the dvd rather than to continue with testing the other files.

The difference is that for the LinuxUser dvd according to the sha1sum test done individually on each of the KNOPPIX/* files <background.png> is the only one that fails and I think I can live with a different wallpaper image.

In the Knoppix Magazine dvd the <KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX> file is the only one where the computed sha1sum differs from the value given in the file <sha1sums.txt> and that is something that at least potentially could give problems with using Knoppix 7.0. Whether it actually does cause problems I haven't found out yet.

I have so far found no problem with using the Linux Magazine (EN) dvd, either directly or as a hard drive install but then i probably use regularly less than 10 out of the 100's of programmes available on the dvd. But I am definitely going to use the LinuxUser (LU) dvd and hd install from now on at least until someone who knows a lot more about it explains why that isn't a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes, John

utu
05-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks, johnmd.

My take on this is:

If you pass the sha1sum tests, you know your files
match what LinuxMagazin meant you to have.

If you pass the testcd tests, you know your files
match what Klaus K meant you to have.

If KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX fails testcd, there is a flaw in it.

I've managed to get some miles out of a flawed LiveCD of
my own making, but that's asking for trouble.

I'm like you, there's a lot in the DVD I'll never use.
Just don't get comfortable with a flawed system.

johnmd
05-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi Utu
Thank you so much for all your patience. Now I think I understand.

I had assumed that the 'testcd' cheatcode just did a sha1sum test on all the DVD files - with the only difference from a manual sha1sum test being that the 'testcd' command exited with the message 'Do you want to continue anyway?' as soon as it came across the first "bad" file and so didn't check the others. One strike and you're out.

I do take your point that even if all the files on the DVD passed their sha1sum tests that would only show it was the same as the version the DVD maker used to burn the DVD.

So - what I need to do is to buy a dvd of Knoppix 7.1 or whatever the freely released version turns out to be [when that's available]. Until then I will use the least bad one I have and hope for the best.

Best wishes, john

electroken
05-09-2012, 06:25 AM
I also bought the magazine and had a problem with the dvd. I also thought perhaps there might be some sort of error because of the media and maybe making a copy of the disk as an iso and ignoring the read error might give me a workable copy. The iso maker software also had an error reading the disk at some point and would not continue.

I am disappointed that the disk did not work since I bought the magazine mainly to get the disk since it seems to have a lot of extra features and apps for the knoppix install/live disk. I am a newbie so now sure it can install like Ubuntu. I am waiting patiently to be able to download the working dvd.

Does anyone know a way to contact the magazine and is there some way to show you bought it and be able to download a good version of the disk from the magazine? Or is that only wishful thinking on my part?

--------------------------
Please use double "new line" for new paragraph. wps

Werner P. Schulz
05-09-2012, 07:34 AM
If the magazine DVD is damaged, you can request a new DVD. Look in your magazine (impressum or within the article) how to contact them.

By the way, if a DVD has read errors you cannot get a DVD without read errors if you make a copy of it. Did you test the DVD with the cheatcode?
knoppix testcdWrite this in the early startup behind "boot:" in the left bottom corner. Knoppix tests the checksums of the whole DVD.

kmb
05-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Hello!
I'am here for the first time after five years and I'am seeing the same "catch" from Linux Magazin...

Short explanation:
1. sha1 checksum is valid for the CEBIT version of Knoppix only /version without logo Linux Magazin... hehe/;
2. Knoppix installer is complaining because it;
3. for the Linux Magazin version is valid md5 checksum only;
4. md5 checksum for the torrents /I have checked Pirate Bay/ is the same;
5. torrents are legit copies the version from Linux Magazin.

I'am waiting for Knoppix 7.1 of course...

Happy leeching /and seeding, I hope/...

ruymbeke
05-14-2012, 05:07 AM
Hello,
I finally got my hands on the German version of the Knoppix 7.0 DVD
which successfully passes the "knoppix testcd" test, and has the following md5:
300586ae0d536b2522494c82d845534b *knoppix_7.0.iso
For those who may be interested in correcting the few corrupted (and not critical)
files included within the English version of the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop file
please find below the link to the correct data extracted from the German DVD:
http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/k700/KNOPPIX_70_fix.tgz
and below the md5 of the correct files included in the above file:
d6aafd5451b9b1700b5bcb393948b92c KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strings
af9cbfed007c6bb158d80c7200a5e85c KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strip
af9cbfed007c6bb158d80c7200a5e85c KNOPPIX/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin/strip
After copying the content of the /KNOPPIX folder and replacing the corrupted files
by the content of the above KNOPPIX_70_fix.tgz file you may want to use the
following command to recreate a corrected KNOPPIX cloop file:
mkisofs -R -U -D -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad KNOPPIX_folder | nice -5 create_compressed_fs - 65536 > KNOPPIX
Then update the sha1sum check file for your new KNOPPIX cloop and recreate the iso.
Please note that the above command requires really a lot of RAM to run properly
and not have corruption as the whole KNOPPIX data content is piped using RAM.
Is this the corruption problem that happened during the English remastering ?
In all cases, I hope that this will be helpful to someone.
Best Regards,
Gilles

ICPUG
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Please note that the above command requires really a lot of RAM to run properly
and not have corruption as the whole KNOPPIX data content is piped using RAM.

How much RAM minimum do you suggest we need?

'really a lot of RAM' is hard to quantify!

ruymbeke
05-15-2012, 04:46 AM
Hi ICPUG,
My guess is that in the worse case scenario (of a very slow computer) the amount RAM required
for the pipe to work properly is the size of the data that you need to compress into the cloop file
which in this case is about 9GB. So I would recommend the use of a swap file larger than 9GB.
Best Regards,
Gilles

How much RAM minimum do you suggest we need?
'really a lot of RAM' is hard to quantify!

Werner P. Schulz
05-15-2012, 07:55 AM
mkisofs -R -U -D -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad KNOPPIX_folder | nice -5 create_compressed_fs - 65536 > KNOPPIXWhy don't you use the option "-f"

create_compressed_fs --helpas in the HowTo (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto)?

You need a huge amount of space, either within RAM or within disk (swap file, swap partition or output file).

ruymbeke
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Hi Werner,
I did not know about this "-f" option and I did not check the remaster howto for quite a while.
In all cases yes it does make sense to use the -f option to lower the RAM requirement even though
I did not try it yet, but I will for sure use it in the near future, as well as the -L -1 (for lzip compression).
Thanks for the suggestion :D,
Best Regards,
Gilles

PS: the help option for "create_compressed_fs" is "-h" (instead of --help) ;)

Werner P. Schulz
05-16-2012, 08:25 AM
PS: the help option for "create_compressed_fs" is "-h" (instead of --help) The Linux way to use options within shellscripts is longterm version like "--help". In some cases also shortterm version like "-h" will do the job.

To avoid headache I always use "--help".

ruymbeke
05-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi Werner,
What I meant is that the "--help" parameter is not recognized by "create_compressed_fs"
(but still prints a nice help message), as you can see below:

# create_compressed_fs --help
2 processor core(s) detected
create_compressed_fs: unrecognized option '--help'
Usage: advfs [options] INFILE OUTFILE [HOSTS...]
Best Regards,
Gilles

Werner P. Schulz
05-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Yes, this nice help message doesn't differ from the message you get using

create_compressed_fs -h

ruymbeke
05-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Hello,
I just found this live CD using Knoppix as an engine:
http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm
and interestingly it is based on Knoppix 7.0 (or 7.1 ?)
as it is using a new Linux kernel 3.3 and have a CD size.
I wonder who is working on this Knoppix remaster ?
Cheers,
Gilles

Werner P. Schulz
05-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't know, who is working on this remaster.

But klaus2008 (http://knoppix.net/forum/members/39501-klaus2008) did many tests with new Kernel versions (http://www.knoppixforum.de/knoppix-forum-deutsch/remastern/thread4992/knoppix-7-0-0-mit-kernel-3-3-2-remastert.html) for Knoppix 7.0

utu
05-17-2012, 10:32 PM
@ Gilles & others

Just made a liveusb from the Runtime 6.9.9 livecd.
kernel is 3.3.2.

Desktop includes Iceweasel, GParted & Synaptic.
wifi no better (or worse) than 6.7.1 in regard to Broadcom.
Lots of disk examination & recovery modules, use space
vacated by Office programs.

'Newness' is in the disk forensics and association with
Runtime in a commercial venture.
Knoppix 'newness' below my expectations for 7.0+ except for
kernel.

My liveusb never asked to set persistent store parameters.
That's a surprise. Will now do belated testcd on the cd.

utu
05-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Addendum to my post #51

testcd was ok.
liveusb has persistence. Lots of it.
Now I know why it took so long.
Don't recall being asked how much to use.

jacksonon
05-18-2012, 12:24 PM
I agree that this is free software (free as in freedom) and is offered for download free as well(free as in free lunch).However, given the reputation which Knoppix has earned over several years as being a showpiece distro for anyone wanting to try out Linux and see what Linux can do.................it pains to learn about the delay in public availability of Knoppix 7.0(or 7.1 for that matter ,if that is being worked on).Please bring some accountability and transparency into this and let us know WHAT is the EXACT reason for the delay,no speculations please.

I have been using Knoppix since 2009 August, to be precise, right from version 6.0............the last update I did was 6.7.1 and that was 8 months ago...... In fact I use it so heavily that I have even installed the 6.7.1 DVD edition as a live system on my microSD-HC card and use that with a write-protected SD-card adapter to boot up any laptop having a card reader and demonstrate what using Knoppix is like.

The release notes say Firefox(Iceweasel) 10 is included in Knoppix 7.0..........lol....... Firefox 12 too is several days old now...........and as far as the Debian packages are concerned, Iceweasel 11 and 12 packages have already entered the experimental repo of Debian...........I hope that Knoppix 7.0 is released to the public by the time Iceweasel 12 reaches the testing repo.......and of course Firefox 13 would have already rolled out by then most probably as a native package..........its good actually.....browsers must update themselves frequently, the web is the future.

johnmd
05-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Hi Jacksonon
Yes perhaps when you have paid $1000 for your dvd of Knoppix and the maker is a multi-billionaire and the Knoppix Corporation has commited to produce one or two new releases each year then you would feel you had a right to complain if things were running late, but since as far as I know none of thsese things are the case, I think it is more respectful to wait until the person in charge thinks that the new release is ready.

Just imagine if the very capable person/people in charge of knoppix were to say - if people are so ungrateful for all our work we will just have a year off and rest on our laurels. Just imagine a world with no knoppix at all - what would we all do with our ageing and so very various hardware with nothing so reliable and so competent to run on it. I for one am happy and grateful to make use of the wonderful knoppix we have already and look forward to the ones we, hopefully, will enjoy in the future and say the biggest and loudest thank you possible to Klaus Knopper and his team for all they have done and are doing for our benefit.

Perhaps if you need the next week's firefox and thunderbird so urgently you should be thinking of aptosid or siduction rather than knoppix.

Best wishes [and a big glass of ice-cold patience to pass the time] John

jacksonon
05-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Lol......I am sorry you did not get my point. I am not asking them to develop a new version altogether...............my only intention is to know that IF KNOPPIX 7.0 WAS RELEASED IN THE MAGAZINE DOZENS OF DAYS AGO THEN WHICH ISSUES ARE SO CRITICAL / TIME CONSUMING TO FIX THAT PUBLIC RELEASE HAS BEEN DELAYED?
That's all.......what you say is applicable in case I was nagging by asking why they haven't released a completely newer version like e. g. Knoppix 7.2 (OR 8 for that matter) yet.Please note,had KNOPPIX 7 not been given in the magazine too,I wouldn't be worried(and the related browser version issue wouldn't be dragged into my post as well), because I trust them to be working with serious things. I know that things take time to fix. But keeping a gap of more than 2 months between an exclusive magazine release and an official public release doesn't appeal to me,especially when there is no reason given behind the delay that can explain WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON SINCE SO MANY WEEKS AFTER HAVING IT RELEASED WITH THE MAGAZINE.

HENCE, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE REASON. That's all. At least SOME LITTLE WORD should be given about exactly WHAT went wrong and what problems were detected in the magazine release of Knoppix. In the absence of this transparency into the development process, I am sure many enthusiasts like me are frustrated.

jacksonon
05-28-2012, 08:38 AM
I had already acknowledged in my post that we get Knoppix for free. I am not being ungrateful....after the last public release of version 6.7.1 in September, I would be happy if the next version took one full year to develop and was released in September 2012 WITHOUT ANY INTERMEDIATE RELEASES IN THE MAGAZINE. Nowhere I claimed that I paid a huge sum for the media or that there is a dedicated professional team behind developing Knoppix. I feel specifically at a disadvantage because they have also talked about it at CeBIT, which someone will do only when they are sure about the product. I don't understand why a public release takes so many issues to fix in that case.

Expectations / hopes of performance , as they say, can only be kept / raised from those who have actually worked rightly so in the past, and Knoppix has. I am not asking Red Hat to again start distributing officially supported Linux distributions free of charge for the (non-enterprise) end-user after about a decade since RHL 9 Shrike.I am asking the team behind KNOPPIX to let me know what is the reason they are taking time. I have not seen such a delay between a magazine release and a public release at any point of time in the last 3 years that I have been using Knoppix.

Instead of the word `enthusiasts' in the previous post,I should probably say people who unfortunately are not customers of the magazine, because given this delay, I feel only they(the customers of the magazine) are targeted to benefit in a timely manner.

Oh.....and by the way I am allergic to ice.Lol.

Werner P. Schulz
05-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Please bring some accountability and transparency into this and let us know WHAT is the EXACT reason for the delay,no speculations please.
Why don't you ask Klaus Knopper by himself: knoppix@knopper.net.

Allways consider: Knoppix is a bootable Live system and it is as it is!

It is not a distribution like all the others with the ability to update or upgrade and it doesn't offer daily security fixes.

In the absence of this transparency into the development process, I am sure many enthusiasts like me are frustrated. Perhaps KK is frustated to read such demands like yours.

jacksonon
05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
I still do not understand why people are failing to get my point.

Let me explain..........I know that this is a contributor website but surely there must be SOME people here who know the reason behind the delay,but are not disclosing(sad for free software). I do not think it is necessary to send a cold e.-mail to the lead for this (especially when the e.-mail address has been written as it is in a spam-friendly manner).

I have never held that I am all for INSTALLING Knoppix as a resident OS for primary use...........in my earlier post I made it very clear that I use Knoppix as a live system on my microSD card for my use as well as to DEMONSTRATE LINUX (BY RUNNING IT LIVE) on any laptop having a card reader (I forgot to add netbooks too since they dont have optical drives).Neither have I asked for daily security fixes. The point about old browsers was simply because the delay between the two points, i. e. (1) When the release notes are written for a supposedly distribution-ready version 7.0 and (2) When NON-CUSTOMERS of Linux Magazine (or for that matter non-visitors to CeBIT) actually get to use it from official sources .......... makes the system old because whether we like it or not, browsers are used more and more and therefore when an OS's release notes claims that XYZ browser version has been included, it means something when you realise that by the time YOU GOT TO USE IT, the browser was outdated. Of course I know that Knoppix doesn't distribute/manage packages on it's own, nothing prevents anyone (including me) from updating the browser using the Debian repositories once Knoppix is loaded and is connected to the internet. What I meant to point out was that how disappointing it feels to base your experience on release notes written several weeks back because not many users (especially those who want to make use of the system as a live OS) would want to update their browser manually. It is natural for them to expect the latest version to be built-in.

What I want is some PUBLIC (not in private) announcement of what the team is working on......PLEASE NOTE VERY CLEARLY: I AM NOT ASKING ANYBODY TO REINVENT THE WHEEL,NOR DEMANDING ANYTHING EXTRAORDINARY WHICH NOBODY HAS ATTEMPTED BEFORE..................you can have a look here: http://web.archive.org/web/20101223040105/http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
Read the last paragraph on that cached page........you will understand what I mean.

(1) It contains atleast a FEW WORDS (atleast a FEW WORDS,repeat) describing WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON CURRENTLY(i.e. at that point of time) and that answers my question.
(2) Its on the official Knoppix home page, to which I believe only the development team (or rather a small subset of it) has access, and hence, my demand for a similar post detailing the progress (or the lack of it) on Knoppix 7.0 is NOT something that would frustrate someone in their team.

Werner P. Schulz
05-28-2012, 07:24 PM
.I know that this is a contributor website .. Here you are within a forum not on the contributor website:
"http://www.knoppix.net/forum" != "http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/"

Please have a look at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/, have a look at the email address at the bottom of this page and ask KK why he doesn't hurry up with the new Knoppix version.

electroken
05-28-2012, 07:43 PM
I understand what Jacksonon is saying. I bought the magazine and right from the start had a bad copy. I tried to file copy it to see if I could make another disk using the files I retrieved from the disk, but the fact was that the main file I needed to run the kernel was defective in some way. I am being patient too and simply waiting to see when the new version of Knoppix will be available to download. I read some posts which suggested that there was no point in having the magazine send me another copy of the same disk with the defect still in it. I agreed and made no attempt to do that.
It would be nice to know how big a problem they have with the new version. I sympathise with the makers of the disk and it must be frustrating for them and the producers of the magazine too, but most of us waiting patiently for the release (especially those of us willing to buy the magazine to get the disk direct) should be told what kind of flaw they are trying to fix. Maybe it would only involve leaving out one of the applications to fix it and perhaps that will not be so bad that we cant wait for months to see it back in the distro again. But we are not told anything and I see his point. It is like waiting in line to purchase something and there is a long delay with no explanation; most of us only want to know why it is taking so long. If I were told, my reply would probably go along the lines of, "oh ok, I can see that could be a major problem". "Thanks for doing all you can to fix it".

jacksonon
05-28-2012, 09:05 PM
I think there is some confusion....when I wrote that I know that this is a contributor website, I meant to say that the website HOSTING this forum is listed as a contributor website on http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-links/ .I am well aware that neither Knoppix.net(as a website) nor this forum(as a community) is managed by the Knoppix developers on their own.

Thanks electroken. You understood me right...........I believe sharing details of progress made (or the lack of it) while performing voluntary,unpaid work (such as producing free software) helps restore confidence in the product and gain better acceptance among users.

Capricorny
05-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Myself, I'm using Knoppix as my main Linux version, and there are of course quite a few drawbacks to the "development model". They are not new but rather well known, and I don't think anyone following this forum should be disappointed when things don't turn out as they want and expect. And I think it is a misconception to view Knoppix 6+ as an entirely separate distro - it is rather a Debian derivative staying quite close to standard Debian in many important ways, but also with quite a few diverging choices. Most of which I have found to be well thought out, so I tend to think of Knoppix as the "right" (i.e. acceptably good) way to build a shrink-wrapped version of Debian.

Whatever reasons Klaus K has for not notifying users about upcoming versions/road maps, I just have to accept his decision. In the open source world, things may happen in a much less predictable way than elsewhere, and I think it is way too easy to suggest that sharing details of progress/problems is uniformly better than the way Klaus K does it now. It is quite likely that Klaus K had himself expected to release the next version 1-2 months after the magazine version, and if he had announced this, people could really get upset and have their plans overturned when it didn't materialize. It is way better that people turn to other Linux alternatives if they can't live with the situation, than criticizing Klaus.

Another alternative might be to create kind of "shadow version" of Knoppix: Many of us are doing extensive modifications of Knoppix, and there is nothing to stop us from carrying out this to produce an updated version, kind of "next Knoppix without Klaus' novelties". This could be done in a much more predictable way than "the real deal", and right now, 7.0 could be the starting point for such a version. I guess one main obstacle is the differences in ways of working. Kind of bimonthly or quaterly update with latest good kernel, updated packages, updated drivers etc could be quite useful. With each release firmly based on the latest official Knoppix version, we could also avoid any unneccessary kind of forking.

sae.area
05-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I also bought the magazine and had a problem with the dvd. I also thought perhaps there might be some sort of error because of the media and maybe making a copy of the disk as an iso and ignoring the read error might give me a workable copy. The iso maker software also had an error reading the disk at some point and would not continue.

I am disappointed that the disk did not work since I bought the magazine mainly to get the disk since it seems to have a lot of extra features and apps for the knoppix install/live disk. I am a newbie so now sure it can install like Ubuntu. I am waiting patiently to be able to download the working dvd.

Does anyone know a way to contact the magazine and is there some way to show you bought it and be able to download a good version of the disk from the magazine? Or is that only wishful thinking on my part?

--------------------------
Please use double &quot;new line&quot; for new paragraph. wps

Hi, I have a subscription to the English magazine and found that the KNOPPIX file fails when running testcd. I then assumed that this is a broken DVD, so I asked the magazine for a good one. They were very quick with a new one, but that DVD has exactly the same problem. That makes me think that all of the English DVD's are broken. I ran a checksum on the KNOPPIX file and it had a different hash then written in the file. So I used some program that lets me edit files in the ISO and changed the checksum to what I calculated. Then I burned it and the testcd was, of course, ok. But this is really not the way to go. Someone should look into the broken DVDs and find out why they broke.