Re.:
HP Pavilion g6-1b67ca Laptop
Knoppix 6.7.1 USB Install

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1705
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9647
00:01.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device 1714
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1709

The terminal printout of 'lspci' clearly shows that there is an Audio device detected but there is probably
no driver for it installed.
I can not play any mp3 files with GNOME MPlayer.
When I click on a song and open it with GNOME MPlayer the title is recognized but immediately after "play" it is "stopped".
What is missing?

Karibu
03-07-2012, 08:08 AM
More Info:
The Volume Control is not displayed in the panel. although the applet is added ...see scrennshot

Karibu
03-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Hi, As I'm still struggling with my
No Soundissue, I wonder where I could get the
lshw - list hardware tool or inxi - a Information retrieval script to extract more detailed information on the hardware and installed/used drivers configuration of my Laptop? BTW, it is, in my opinion, not a bad idea to have such tools installed by default on Knoppix!

Werner P. Schulz
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Within Knoppix is hwinfo installed. To get an overview type
hwinfo --helpto get special information use the hw_items - in your case
hwinfo --soundIf you like lshw, you can install it with aptitude (or Synaptic); to install inxi have a look at http://code.google.com/p/inxi/wiki/Installation

Karibu
03-15-2012, 04:17 AM
Hi Werner, I really appreciate your fast response....'hwinfo' works great! If you don't mind, please have a look on the info for sound ...I wonder why I get two, slightly different, results concerning the Vendor, SubVendor, Device? Thank you!

klaus2008
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Now we know that your system has got two audio devices. What is the output of the command
cat /proc/asound/cards

Werner P. Schulz
03-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Do you have a soundcard and onboard-sound?

Karibu
03-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Do you have a soundcard and onboard-sound?

Actually, I don't know! I bought this Laptop (HP Pavilion g6-1b67ca) direct from HP! I never opened it and added a sound card!

Karibu
03-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Now we know that your system has got two audio devices. What is the output of the command
cat /proc/asound/cards

This is what i says:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Generic]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
HD-Audio Generic at 0xf0544000 irq 43
1 [Generic_1]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
HD-Audio Generic at 0xf0540000 irq 16I have absolutely no clue why there are two devices!

--------------------
If you use the "Go Advanced" button, you have more abilities to format your posting and with the "Preview Post" button you'll see, how your posting looks like.

Greetings Werner

klaus2008
03-15-2012, 05:30 PM
I would suggest that you create a configuration file .asoundrc (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/28322-Sound-system-configuration-is-flaky?p=121157&viewfull=1#post121157) in your home directory.

Karibu
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
I would suggest that you create a configuration file .asoundrc (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/28322-Sound-system-configuration-is-flaky?p=121157&viewfull=1#post121157) in your home directory.

Thank you, klaus2008. I know how to create the file but I do not know what to enter in my case because I can not identify the correct name of card one or card two. Is it Generic or Generic_1 or something different? I tried the same file you used but couldn't get any result! I cannot find a volume control in the LXPanel either, assuming that the LXPanel = taskbar on the bottom of the screen.

klaus2008
03-16-2012, 09:08 AM
The output of the 'cat' command gives you the number of the sound device that ALSA uses to identify the particular audio device. It is the number before the name inside the brackets. The default device should have the number 0 and the sound card number 1 should be the device you want to use. Thus I would create a configuration file /home/knoppix/.asoundrc with the two lines
defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1If there is still no sound I would try the programm alsamixer to adjust the volume. Do not forget to the select the correct sound card before you change the sound volume or to restart the graphical desktop environment. In most cases the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace should restart the desktop environment.

Karibu
03-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Do not forget to the select the correct sound card before you change the sound volume or to restart the graphical desktop environment. In most cases the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace should restart the desktop environment.

Fantastic...it works...Ctrl+Alt+Backspace was missing...Thank you, klaus2008, for an excellent support! Issue [SOLVED]

Karibu
03-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi, Now, as I have Sound, I hear this charming voice at start-up but I'm not quite sure what she is talking about. The only word I understand is "Sequence" at the very end. Out of curiosity I would like to know the whole text. Would somebody be so kind and tell me that, please?

utu
03-19-2012, 03:07 PM
To me it sounds like:
"Initiating start-up sequence."

Karibu
03-20-2012, 12:10 AM
To me it sounds like:
"Initiating start-up sequence."
Could be...
Somebody told me it's K.Knopper's wife, Adriane, talking...Just out of curiosity, is that the case????