PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 7.0 USB and HD install glitch

Gondarc
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Trying to install KX7.0 from the Linux Magazine DVD ... the destination machine is an Advent QC430 that does not have a working DVD drive <knackered>. So I used a Samsung R780 64-bit machine to create a bootable 16GB USB, which works on the R780 (64-bit) ... however, trying to boot this USB on the 32-bit Advent sticks on the BIOS screen and never reaches the Knoppix boot display. Although the 16GB USB works on the KX6.7.1 currently installed on the Advent, I think the BIOS may be too old ... 2004 ... to boot a USB of this size ... the KX6.7.1 was a CD image loaded to a 2GB USB stick. I have found a DOS BIOS update dated 2007 ... is there any way to update the BIOS on the Advent from KX6.7.1 ... various other distro's have jump-through-hoops ideas on this, but I wondered whether Knoppix has something available before I try anything else.

Gondarc
04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Fixed ... created an 8GB USB stick which boots on the Advent. Now loaded to KX7.0. Still having fun with en-GB settings ... cannot find the hunspell-en-gb package for Libre Office ... hey, ho!