PDA

View Full Version : Synaptic- ReloadInfo- ErrorMessage

Karibu
04-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi all Knoppix Fans...

Today I tried to "Reload the Package Information to become informed about new, removed or upgraded Software packages" and got some messages which I attached as screenshots.
After a "Restart" I did not notice a change in the behavior of my Laptop, except that the Icon for Bluetooth has disappeared from the panel and I cannot get it back!
Also attached is the terminal output for 'dmesg', although I'm not sure if it gives any valuable info for this case.:confused:
I appreciate any response!

klaus2008
04-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I think that libc6 could not be replaced properly. I would suggest the following attempt.

Reboot your Knoppix into runlevel 2. You can achieve this by adding the number 2 to the list of cheat codes. Usually
knoppix 2 is sufficient.

In the shell issue
chroot /UNIONFS
dpkg -a --configure
apt-get -f install
exit
rebootThis time boot into the desktop environment and try to find out whether there is any issue left.

Karibu
04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Hello,
@Klaus
Thank you for the response.
Before I have read it, I was trying to fix the issue by reinstalling the broken dependencies
but it didn't work.
For your information I post some more screenshots and if they confirm your assumption I go ahead
and follow your instructions.

klaus2008
04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Your images 'BrokenDep2' and 'BrokenDep3' confirm my assumption that you have an issue with libc6 and libc6-dev packages.

I had a similar issue some time ago when I upgraded some packages relying on a libc6 that was more recent than that being shipped with Knoppix.

The pre-install script finds the same libc6 twice because of the use of the aufs. But when I issued "chroot /UNIONFS" I was able to finish the installation procedure of the new libc6 and libc6-dev packages because the pre-install script found only libc6 at the ordinary place.

The use of runlevel 2 instead of runlevel 5 avoids conflicts with system services that would make use of libc6.

Karibu
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm having a difficulty with runlevel 2:
Boot sequence hangs for ever--see screenshot

PS.:
These are the first two lines of my syslinux.cfg file

# Edit Mar 29, 2012: DEFAULT (line 1) from adriane to knoppix nomodeset
DEFAULT knoppix 2 nomodeset
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
TIMEOUT 100If I place "nomodeset" at the end of the line APPEND the graphics won't start at all (black monitor screen)

klaus2008
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
As far as I understand your screenshot the boot sequence has finished. You do not start the graphical desktop environment if you are in runlevel 2 as opposed to runlevel 5 with its automatical start of the Xserver.

Now you are in the shell where you are root and should be able to issue the commands
chroot /UNIONFS
dpkg -a --configure
apt-get -f install
exit
reboot

Karibu
04-04-2012, 08:40 AM
....not start the graphical desktop environment if you are in runlevel 2 as opposed to runlevel 5 with its automatical start of the Xserver. Thanks....I was not aware of that!

Now you are in the shell where you are root and should be able to issue the commands
chroot /UNIONFS
dpkg -a --configure
apt-get -f install
exit
reboot
After that (reboot), it seems the whole system is rebuild because Synaptic loads every thing new. Now I got stuck!
I write this from another computer and attach the "Error Message" concerning a grub dependency issue.
The Laptop is still in this condition and I don't know what happens when I 'Close' this window.:confused:

klaus2008
04-04-2012, 09:19 AM
I think you may close the windows. The error message is about installation issues of grub. I never had this error message. I have to guess what you could do. Sometimes the interpretation of error messages is an art or you need much experience.

As long as you use syslinux as boot loader you do not need grub. The only situation where grub is needed should be an HDD install of Knoppix.

I would suggest that you try to install the package libgnome2-perl and tell us what has happened.

Karibu
04-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I would suggest that you try to install the package libgnome2-perl and tell us what has happened.
It's easier said than done...I must have a very rudimentary installation right now because the Menu does not show Synaptic P.M., no Internet, in all, it is quite different as before. I can not 'Logout' either because there is a "Failed to execute child process lxsession-logout.." warning. The only way out is "Power OFF"!
If I turn power ON again, I end up with a confusing "log file" message on the screen, which disappears after a few seconds. I think I wrecked the USB system with the "chroot" procedure and need a new install from the CD.
Any thoughts on that?

klaus2008
04-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Some ideas:

Do you have a camera to take a photo of your current desktop environment?

It is possible to delete the persistent image file and create a new one. It is unnecessary to do a full reinstall from the CD.

Are you able to switch to a console with the key combination Ctrl-Alt-F1? There you could issue the following command which will open a terminal window on your desktop environment.
chvt 5 && su -c "DISPLAY=:0 lxterminal -l" knoppix & In the lxterminal you could try some commands.
killall lxpanel
lxpanel --profile LXDE & If you have lxpanel running but still no nm-applet then you could try
killall nm-applet
nm-applet & In the lxterminal it is possible to start synaptic package management
sudo synaptic &

Karibu
04-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi Klaus and thanks for your time....

Do you have a camera to take a photo of your current desktop environment?
Yes, I do. After Power "ON" it runs through boot "using /mnt-system/Knoppix/knoppix-data.img" (for a spit second I can see root/Microknoppix #) and ends up there. - see attachment.

Are you able to switch to a console with the key combination Ctrl-Alt-F1?

I'm not able to get the console!
I probably could change syslinux.cfg on my Desktop to Run level 2, but I think it's not worth it.
I came to the conclusion that it is for me to much effort to go through the whole configuration (WiFi, Bluetooth, ...) again and I would like to wait for the Knoppix Rev. 7 and do it then. What do you think?

Karibu
04-05-2012, 02:11 AM
chvt 5 && su -c "DISPLAY=:0 lxterminal -l" knoppix &
Out of curiosity I tried Run Level 2 and got the console as I assumed. But there is no lxterminal -
see screenshot and message root@Microknoppix:/# bash : lxterminal: command not found

klaus2008
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Maybe you made too many updates at a time or some essential packages were removed automatically.

The screenshot shows error messages of the Xserver.
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device The framebuffer device was not found. My first idea is that you could boot with the additional cheat code 'nofb'.

I came to the conclusion that it is for me to much effort to go through the whole configuration (WiFi, Bluetooth, ...) again and I would like to wait for the Knoppix Rev. 7 and do it then. KK should publish the next Knoppix 7 public version within the next few weeks, but I think that you cannot be sure that Knoppix 7 will be working 'out of the box'. On the other hand you know now how to get Knoppix 6.7 running on your system.

If you remove the persistent image file all your personal settings and downloaded files are lost. If you still need one or the other then you should copy it to a place outside the persistent image file. In this case I would boot into runlevel 2 and create a new directory /mnt-system/myfiles
mkdir /mnt-system/myfiles Copying files is easy if you can use the Midnight Commander. The command
mc will start the program. The article 'An Introduction to the Midnight Commander (http://tldp.org/LDP/LG/issue23/wkndmech_dec97/mc_article.html)' explains the basic usage of that program.

After you have copied your personal files you can delete the persistent image file. The main thing is that this file may not be in use. I would boot into runlevel 2 with the additional cheat code 'noimage'. In the console you can issue
mke2fs -F -m 0 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img This will create an empty file system inside your persistent image file.
reboot lets you reboot your system.

Karibu
04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
.........all your personal settings and downloaded files are lost. I got mc running! I created directory "/myfiles" where you recommended.
Am I right, all my personal settings are in directory "/home"?

After you have copied your personal files you can delete the persistent image file. The main thing is that this file may not be in use. I would boot into runlevel 2 with the additional cheat code 'noimage'. In the console you can issue
mke2fs -F -m 0 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img This will create an empty file system inside your persistent image file.
reboot lets you reboot your system.

Do you here talk about preparations for a new Knoppix 7 installation on the same USB stick?

Thanks for your help, you are very supportive!

klaus2008
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Am I right, all my personal settings are in directory "/home"?Now that you have created a directory outside the persistent image you can copy the important files from your home directory and its subdirectories to the new directory. Your home directory is /home/knoppix because 'knoppix' is the user name. I think that most users will have their important files in /home/knoppix/Desktop and /home/knoppix/Downloads, but there could be other subdirectories, too.

Do you here talk about preparations for a new Knoppix 7 installation on the same USB stick?I am talking about the creation an 'empty' persistent file for Knoppix 6.7 so that you can start the configuration of Knoppix again. If you plan to create a USB stick with Knoppix 6.7 and Knoppix 7.0 at the same time you must rename the KNOPPIX directory and use the cheat code 'knoppix_dir=[new directory name]' They cannot share the same persistent store! Each version of Knoppix needs its own persistent image. Sharing the same files can be done by using a directory outside the persistent image files. I think that the creation of a multiboot USB stick is for very advanced users who exactly know what they do. You won't have a setup program which would assist you.

I hope that helps!

Karibu
04-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you, Klaus...Yes that helps....
Wish you Happy Easter Holidays:)

Karibu
04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
OK, System is up and running again...Although no update/upgrade with Synaptic Package Manager possible because of message

Could not apply changes!
Fix broken packages first.Which I'm still not able to do!