PDA

View Full Version : Custom data on floppy querie

timmoore47
06-17-2003, 01:52 PM
On 3.1, I used to save details to floppy and reload AOK.

On 3.2 I seem to save data AOK, but at boot pront I type:-

knoppix myconfig=scan

or

knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy

and I get this error message:-

'mount failed retry [Y/n]'

and thats it all my settings blown away, yet again.

3.2 is great, its a shame to live with 3.1 for such a silly detail!

The motherboard is QDI running an Athlon processor, 256Mb ram. Its seems solid as its run Seti for 6 months!

Any ideas, very welcome!!

TIA

Tim

jBeach
06-17-2003, 06:27 PM
On 3.1, I used to save details to floppy and reload AOK.
On 3.2 I seem to save data AOK, but at boot pront I type:-
knoppix myconfig=scan
and I get this error message:-
'mount failed retry [Y/n]'
and thats it all my settings blown away, yet again.
I posted almost the same question two posts back. I get exactly the same errors you do... :cry: :cry:

Looks like all the version 3.2 releases are broken. The 5/20 and 6/06 versions are both broken for sure.

Looks like no one uses the save/restore configuration option.

-jb

timmoore47
06-18-2003, 03:13 PM
On a complex network situation, not being able to save the settings is a major pain! Also if you use a word processor its nice to save the source. Maybe that bit still works!

Many thanks for the reply!

Anybody else with any ideas?

jBeach
06-18-2003, 03:56 PM
I talked to a nice fellow (jasonHK) on the #knoppix IRC channel last night. He uses a USB memory stick to save his home directory and knoppix configuration settings.

Both the computers I'm currently running knoppix on have USB ports, so I'm going to pick up a memory stick on the way home tonight. I'll let you know if it works out...

-jb

timmoore47
06-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Do let me know how it goes?

I'm pepared to put in a dedicated HD for Knoppix. Its a great version of Linux but I can't re-customise on each power on! Major pain!

Tim

jBeach
06-20-2003, 09:27 PM
I purchased a 32 megabyte USB memory key for $29. It correctly stores and restores my Knoppix configuration and home directory data in Knoppix v3.2 2003-06-06-EN. :D

I start Knoppix with "knoppix lang=us myconfig=scan home=scan" and the configuration and home directory image/data is restored.

It is certainly nice not to have to set the configuration and networking up everytime I boot the Knoppix CD!

Although I have it working, I do have a few questions that I'm going to post in a separate message. I think I made it a lot harder than it really is...

-jb

timmoore47
06-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Congrats! I'll have to try that!

Tim