PDA

View Full Version : Boken Open Office Upgrade

Tortoise
06-17-2003, 06:12 PM
I have a hard drive install of 3.2, and wanted to upgrade Open Office to the new beta.
I used Apt-get remove openoffice-de-en to remove the old version, downloaded the beta tarball, then used tar to decompress it. I ran setup, and the install seemed to go ok, but now when I click on the open office toolbar icon, I get

The desktop entry file /usr/share/applnk/Office/OpenOffice/openoffice.desktop has no Type=... entry.

I guess the link is broken, but don't know how to fix it.
If I try to run it from the Kmenu, nothing happens, I guess those links are broken too.
How do I run it, and, if possible, fix the links?
Thank you!

aay
06-17-2003, 08:49 PM
If you downloaded the tarball and used setup to install, then you should have the following directory within your home directory: OpenOffice.org1.1/

You can then Open OO, by going to a shell and cd OpenOffice.org1.1/

Then ./soffice

To be able to open OO from the task bar do the following:

Right click on the current icon and remove it.

Right click again on the taskbar and choose: Add/Special Button/Non-KDE Application

Then navigate into your home directory and then into OpenOffice.org1.1/

You will then want to select either soffice or navigate further into program and choose swriter or scalc or whatever.

After you select soffice or swriter, the next box that pops up should have place to enter "Optional command line arguments" Click on the Icon beside it to choose an appropriate icon for OO. You may need to navigate through some of the submenus there to get to an icon that you like.

Tortoise
06-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Great! That works, although just for anyone else having the same problem, if you installed as root, the path will, of course, be different!
Thank you!

Tortoise
06-19-2003, 11:48 PM
More Open Office schenanigans...
I am not sure I like the beta - I would really like to revert to the stable - I tried Apt-get remove openoffice-de-en, but the package has changed names - how would I find out what it is called to remove it?
Thanks!

Stephen
06-20-2003, 12:59 AM
In a console window:

dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt

This gives you your selections in a file selections.txt then

[08:57 PM Thu Jun 19: root @ /home/stephen]
># cat selections.txt | grep openoffice
openoffice-de-en install
ttf-openoffice install

Will then you show the packages containing openoffice in their name.