05-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Background:

These notes apply to a LiveDVD made from an iso d/l-ed on 5/29/12 that passed
testcd. I d/l-ed my iso from one of the sites at:
http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
I used for convenience a LiveUSB made from this LiveDVD, but expect that
most of the observations reported here may be confirmed to exist as well in
a valid LiveDVD. My LiveUSB uses an 8 Gb Class 10 SanDisk with
1.4 Gb persistence and 2.4 Gb free in /mnt-system.
My computer has 4 Gb ram and uses a Broadcom wifi.

General Observations:

Klaus K has just presented his latest 'download version' of Knoppix 7 with
significant improvements over the CeBIT version released in March 2012.
These differences include faster booting; a very late kernel; a greatly
improved installation technique for Broadcom wifi drivers; and a new
experimental capability, zram. Klaus K has also included numerous bug fixes
identified by Gilles.

Detailed Observations:

1 The new Knoppix LiveDVD is a real feast of material: it includes
incredible numbers of fonts, screen-savers, games and educational programs;
IceWeasel 10.0.4 and LibreOffice 3.5.3.2 are included. It has a 3.3.7 Linux
kernel, CeBIT's was 3.2.4.

2. My DVD-size LiveUSB boots to wifi online in 42 seconds; this compared
to 50-to-60 seconds for my 6.7.1 CD-size LiveUSB.

3a The usual extraordinary hardware discovery and installation for keyboard,
video, and peripheral devices was made even better by a wholesale improvement
in adapting the Broadcom catalog of wifi devices designed for Windows to
a useful afterlife in Linux. Now virtually all Broadcom wifis may now use
b43 drivers with the same ease & simplicity as wl, which worked for some
Broadcom owner/users, but not all.

3b. The following references provide a lot of pertinent detail concerning
both the b43 and wl Broadcom driver approaches:
linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices; and
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

4a. Unlike the CeBIT version, the download version of Knoppix 7's Iceweasel
does not initially include Flash. Apt, Synaptic or Install Components may
be used to install a flashplugin-nonfree package. License restrictions make
this necessary.

4b. LibreOffice 3.5.3.2 now has Liberation-fonts by default. There is thus
less reason to use Knoppix-Install-Components or Synaptic to bring in
ttf-mscorefonts-installer(3.4), but this option is still available.

5a. Keyboard handling may have changed recently. I used-to disable the
touchpad because of extraneous text and display interference while editing,
and use instead a wireless mouse as a pointing device. Disabling my
touchpad no longer seems necessary with Knoppix 7.

5b. Knoppix 6.7.1 included a package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics version
1.4.1-1 +b1; 7.0.1 uses version 1.6.1-1. Each of these contains a program,
syndaemon, one purpose of which is to disable some touchpad gesture functions
while typing. See man syndaemon for details. Perhaps the default value
choices are just better now. See also Synaptic (dpkg mgr gui) description
found at package>properties>description.

6. Both lxpanel and LibreOffice have been upgraded in Knoppix 7.
The Mandriva LXPanelX 0.5.6 fork adapted by Klaus K to debian-knoppix.alioth
0.5.8-3 lxpanel used by some Knoppix 6 users to overcome an LO/lxpanel bug
may no longer be necessary. However, if the 0.5.9-4 upgrade fails to serve,
0.5.8-3 is still availabele via Synaptic or apt.

7a. Compressed swap in RAM, zram is an experimental linux innovation that
provides swap performance improvement in systems that might otherwise swap
to other media, such as hard drives or SDDs, for examples: older computers,
netbooks or any computer 'low on ram' considering the random access memory
demands of all its program(s) being used concurrently.

7b. This new capability configures and installs itself behind the scenes,
without need for user intervention. It may effectively nearly triple the
apparently available ram, under ideal circumstances, without nearly the
performance penalty associated with swapping to hdds. Enjoy.

jacksonon
05-29-2012, 11:41 PM
My goodness!!!!!! Is there someone happier than me? :D :D :D
Thank you, thank you so much for sharing this! It was neither announced on the website nor are the official Torrents listed yet but anyway, this is BIG news....... seriously BIG.

A BIG THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

The level of detail is brilliant!!! Very informative post.

Unlike the CeBIT version, the download version of Knoppix 7's Iceweasel
does not initially include Flash.

No problem at all for me. Since the second week after I started using Knoppix, I have always maintained a list of tweaks to be applied and programs to be installed in a given sequence within Knoppix (whether live or HD install) to suit my requirements(and hardware as well). And anyway it is better if the Flash player plug-in is not provided built-in since it issues regular updates and therefore it is better for me to manually install the latest available version known to be secure at that point of time.

Thank you once again! :)

Here I go, beginning my HTTP download.

utu
05-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Klaus K ha posted his own summary of 7.0.1 contents at:
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix701-en.html

Enjoy.

ICPUG
05-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Just to let you know that on the Knoppix mailing list Klaus is suggesting there may need to be a quick 7.0.2 revision to deal with what he considers a major printing bug.

See here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2012/05/msg00003.html

Blacksimon
05-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi,
First I've set root password using Menu/Knoppix/Set password for root.
Then I try to customize active services using Menu/Preferences/Services but every changes is impossible to do. To enable or disable the services you need to enter a password, but the root password is not accepted.

Only when I run services-admin in Root Terminal I can able to activate or not the services
For now is what was found on first use.

Bye

utu
05-31-2012, 01:16 AM
@ Blacksimon

You may want to follow this dialog on debian-knoppix:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2012/05/msg00004.html

And, good luck.

Blacksimon
05-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi utu
thanks, it's certainly a good starting point
it is very likely that all depends from setting the right privileges to the user knoppix

bye

Blacksimon
05-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi ICPUG,
I solved the problem with my Canon printer.
using synaptic to installi Cups-Driver-Gutenprint 5.2.7-5

bye

Karibu
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Hello,
I downloaded Rev.7.0.2 and I would like to know if the size of the
USB flash of 8 GB is enough for this “real feast of material” offered by the new Knoppix LiveDVD?
Can somebody be so kind and confirm it, please?

jacksonon
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
The new DVDs are large....pretty large....both 7.0.1 as well as the slightly larger 7.0.2..............how do I fit any of them onto a 4 GB flash disk or even a 4 GB micro-SDHC card ? Anybody successful in doing so ? I know that in terms of storage, 4 GB = approx. 3.725 GBs usable(unformatted) and the DVD ISO is around 3.89 GB,so at first glance itself it seems silly. However, I wish to know whether there are work-arounds.

Werner P. Schulz
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
As for the CeBIT-Version you also need for the new 7.0.x versions 8GB at least. You'll get abou 4GB for persistent memory.

jacksonon
06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Thank you.

Yes, that is the only solution which makes sense . However, for my netbook's regular usage, specifically the requirement is that I boot into a locally saved(on the HDD) copy of the files (made via knoppix tohd boot option) from a memory card which is always present inserted in the card reader.(the memory card is used for nothing else).

Now, I already have a 7.0.1 working DVD burnt on my desktop but I usually use Knoppix on my netbook only AND before some time ago I was planning to buy another hard-disk (doesn't matter whether internal/external,I just want more capacity of atleast 100 GBs desperately for backups),especially since I don't have any memory card / USB flash drive of capacity greater than 4 GBs.

Now, in order to make use of the new Knoppix given my case, I see the need for 2 purchases:
(1) An external hard-disk as was being planned some time ago. I hope I can turn this into a live Knoppix disk just like a regular USB flash disk and this obviously wont be as small as 8 GBs.
(2) A larger memory card of atleast 8 GBs which will replace the one in the card reader and remain across reboots unless I need to access another memory card, since I dont use the card reader for anything else.
(3) A larger USB flash drive.....but I don't intend to purchase this right away, since I prefer to wait for the arrival of Windows-To-Go certified USB flash drives (special feature of Windows 8 enterprise edition)...and they will have to be of atleast 16 GB capacity I guess.

Figuring a way out.

utu
06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
@ jacksonon

8 Gb works fine for LiveUSBs made from Knoppix 7 LiveDVD; i save enough room,
by using only 1.4 Gb for persistence, to backup knoppix-data.img,

I've found that Knoppix LiveCD's create good 2 Gb LiveUSBs with lots of persistence.
I've used a 16 Gb unit to do self-contained re-mastering of CD-size LiveUSBs
using one of Werner's techniques.

wspc
06-01-2012, 10:12 PM
is touchpad enabled in 7.01?
can we scroll etc and is there a user definable menu as with oth linux distros?

otropogo
06-02-2012, 05:55 AM
The new DVDs are large....pretty large....both 7.0.1 as well as the slightly larger 7.0.2..............how do I fit any of them onto a 4 GB flash disk or even a 4 GB micro-SDHC card ? Anybody successful in doing so ? I know that in terms of storage, 4 GB = approx. 3.725 GBs usable(unformatted) and the DVD ISO is around 3.89 GB,so at first glance itself it seems silly. However, I wish to know whether there are work-arounds.

I just installed it to USB flash today, and the knoppix folder alone takes up more than 4GB, so I think you'll need an 8GB flash drive at minimum.

otropogo
06-02-2012, 06:19 AM
When I installed Knoppix 7.0.1 EN to an 8GB thumbdrive today I was surprised to get no persistent image dialogue. In fact, I can't remember how I got the persistent image, but I must have it, since I'm able to save items to the desktop, and I no longer get the 'must have a persistent image' message when saving the firewall configuration.

Yet I've noted at least one post here describing the choice of the persistent image file size, which I was definitely not prompted for, as in previous versions.

I was asked whether I wanted to format and use the entire drive, and said "no". Does this mean that the Knoppix file is dynamic, and simply grows to fill the available free space on the drive, or is there a limited amount of free space available within the Knoppix folder?

If the latter is the case, what happens when it's filled? Will I be able to remove applications before Knoppix locks up, or can I just copy the usb drive or the knoppix folder and boot folder to a larger flash drive and carry on?

The only proof I have of persistence is that I was able to save a jpeg file to the desktop which persists after rebooting.

Am I missing something?

NB: as one who's been playing with Knoppix since version 3.xx, and is probably still using Linux mainly because Knopper's efforts to popularize the LiveCD, I would add that this is the fastest and most trouble-free version I have yet experienced.

Several recent attempts refused to work on one or more of my PCs, but this one managed to boot into the desktop and run off a single USB thumbdrive on two desktops after being created on a laptop, the only apparent issue being the need to change the display resolution on one desktop in order to see the left half of the desktop.(Note to Klaus: the display configuration window should always be available via mouse click from anywhere on the display - I had to hook up a second monitor to get access to it in Knoppix7.0.1)

Werner P. Schulz
06-02-2012, 07:18 AM
In the new version you get the offer to create persistent memory and encrypt it before knoppix-flash script end its work, not after it.

Capricorny
06-02-2012, 12:24 PM
To avoid unneccesary trouble reporting/shooting, I suggest that anyone running into problems with 7.0.1 upgrades to 7.0.2, to see if the problems persist. A few bugs prompted Klaus K to release 7.0.2 on May 30. 7.0.2 runs fine for me off a 32 GB USB3 thumbdrive partitioned into 8GB FAT32 + 24GB ext3. Very quickly too.

utu
06-02-2012, 03:29 PM
... is there a user definable menu... ?
Yes.
See Main Menu>Preferences>Main Menu. It's called Alacarte, and has more capability than lxmed.
See also:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29858-Hidden-Gems-in-Knoppix-7

otropogo
06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
In the new version you get the offer to create persistent memory and encrypt it before knoppix-flash script end its work, not after it.

Is this an offer one might not notice, as in the 3 second flash on the screen of previous versions? Could you post a screen save of it? I definitely didn't choose any persistent memory size, yet my setting changes persist after reboot with the USBflash installation.

otropogo
06-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Is this an offer one might not notice, as in the 3 second flash on the screen of previous versions? Could you post a screen save of it? I definitely didn't choose any persistent memory size, yet my setting changes persist after reboot with the USBflash installation.

Have now had a closer look in Puppy Linux at my Knoppix 7.0.1 usb flash installation (I couldn't figure out how to view the disk while running from it in Knoppix), and it appears that I do have a file called 'knoppix-data.img' sized 1000M inside the Knoppix folder on the disk. This size is either a default, or kept from a pre-existing file (see below).

Another interesting point is this. When I chose to preserve data on the thumbdrive, rather than wiping the entire capacity, Knoppix 7.0.1 installed over the existing knoppix file within the Knoppix folder, but left untouched several files from my brief August 2011 experimentation with Knoppix 6.4 (as shown by the date stamps). The two files preserved are background.png and backgroundreadme.txt, and also an empty folder called 'modules'.

Since I've already made changes to the persistent image file, its date stamp tells me nothing. But I wonder whether that file was also preserved unchanged from the 6.4 installation, and whether this might account for the lack of a prompt to create it and/or the size of 1GB?

In any case, it's a feature that deserves some attention, to avoid unwanted results (such as a too small a persistent image file size. Maybe the modules folder might also cause problems, if the modules are not compatible with the current version of Knoppix?

A means of resizing the persistent image file, as provided in Puppy Linux, would also be helpful, or does it already exist? Puppy's unfortunately only sizes upward, so if a glitch results in an excessively large file, there's no way to downsize.

Werner P. Schulz
06-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I couldn't figure out how to view the disk while running from it in KnoppixYou can all of it see within the folder '/mnt-system/' while running the flash disk install:

/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX the compressed filesystem
/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img (..aes) your persistent memory and so on.

Maybe the modules folder might also cause problems,It's only a empty folder since some versions.

otropogo
06-03-2012, 03:31 PM
You can all of it see within the folder '/mnt-system/' while running the flash disk install:

/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX the compressed filesystem
/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img (..aes) your persistent memory and so on.
It's only a empty folder since some versions.

Thanks Werner. I'm having trouble deciding on a strategy for use and sizing of the thumbdrive's persistent image, since I don't know exactly how it works. I gather that I can't simply create a new, larger knoppix-data.img file, and copy all the contents of the old one to it Yesterday, I tried to install an application called Quantum GIS via Software Center. dpgk reported I would have to uninstall a number of installed programs to achieve this, and I agreed. However, the installation failed, and the popup that reported the failure makes very little sense to me. I saved the text, but after spending a good hour studying the requirements of reporting the bug to either the KDE or Quantum GIS, concluded that I lack both the skill and the time for this. The problem is that, although there was a cancel button onscreen with the popup, it's not clear that it was active. So now I'm wondering whether programs have been removed or replaced, and other programs will be crippled as a result. The issue seems to have been with Mysql core server, which dpkg wanted to replace with a newer version. But I can't see it listed among the installed programs. Is there a way to see whether any programs have been disabled? And if so, how can that be fixed? If I were to simply delete my existing knoppix-data.img file now, would my installation be crippled on reboot, or would I simply lose everything in the img file and be prompted to create a new one? BTW. is there a way I can use spacing in my posts? The forum preview function shows all formatting removed - not only spacing, but also quotes...

utu
06-03-2012, 04:00 PM
BTW. is there a way I can use spacing in my posts? The forum preview function shows all formatting removed - not only spacing, but also quotes...
I replace NoScript with AdBlock Plus for this reason.
Then I compose in Leafpad and cut and paste with no loss of whitespace.

Hope that helps.

otropogo
06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I replace NoScript with AdBlock Plus for this reason.
Then I compose in Leafpad and cut and paste with no loss of whitespace.

Hope that helps.

Thanks UTU. How do I access that option? All I see below is post icons and under "additional" options, disable smilies and automatically parse links in text.

Could it be that my posting permissions don't allow me this function?