PDA

View Full Version : CD?

ant
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi!

I see v7.0.1 and v7.0.2 DVDs are released, but where are the ones for CDs? Or did I miss them?

Thank you in advance. :)

Capricorny
06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Klaus K:
The smaller CD version is still work in progress. Look at: http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html. The last CD versions have had some problems, probably mostly because of space requirements, so it may be safer to go with the DVDs.

ant
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Klaus K: Look at: http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html. The last CD versions have had some problems, probably mostly because of space requirements, so it may be safer to go with the DVDs.Ah thanks. The reason is that because not all very old computers can read DVDs. I also don't need all the extra programs (e.g., OpenOffice), etc. for urgent utilities for problematic computers.

Capricorny
06-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Sure. But if they have USB2 w/booting, you may use a USB stick. USB1 is sloooow, but may still be faster than optical drive.

ant
06-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Sure. But if they have USB2 w/booting, you may use a USB stick. USB1 is sloooow, but may still be faster than optical drive.True. According to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html , I still need to do it from a running KNOPPIX system like a live disc:

"In order to create a bootable USB-medium (memory flashdisk, SD-card, digital camera with USB connector, cellphone with microSD, ...), the program flash-knoppix can be started from a running Knoppix system. This program installs all needed Knoppix files onto the FAT-formatted flashdisk, and creates a boot record for it. If desired, the target medium can be partitioned and fornatted, or left in its inistal state, so that existing files stay intact..." That means using DVD version one requires a huge USB flash size too.

Does KNOPPIX not offer an USB media maker/creator without running KNOPPIX like other distributions?

Capricorny
06-03-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't think so. That's because Knoppix is able to run on so much hardware, and usually there is little problem in getting it up and running. A USB install can be created on any PC able to run the DVD. Plus, Knoppix is a low-budget mainly personal Debian derivative.

ant
06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't think so. That's because Knoppix is able to run on so much hardware, and usually there is little problem in getting it up and running. A USB install can be created on any PC able to run the DVD. Plus, Knoppix is a low-budget mainly personal Debian derivative.Interesting. I guess I will have to do an extra task: Download ISO, burn to a DVD, boot it, make a USB flash media. Too bad I can't download and run program to make the bootable USB media.

Capricorny
06-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually, there are some alternatives for running ISO images in virtual machines or by GRUB, but I think it is easier to find a PC running DVD..
Could surely make a program too. I think there will soon be several alternatives for such tasks. In principle, it could be a program outside the compressed KNOPPIX image to be run from the loop-mounted ISO image.

ant
06-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Actually, there are some alternatives for running ISO images in virtual machines or by GRUB, but I think it is easier to find a PC running DVD..
Could surely make a program too. I think there will soon be several alternatives for such tasks. In principle, it could be a program outside the compressed KNOPPIX image to be run from the loop-mounted ISO image.Yeah, I know but it would easier and faster to skip that disc/ISO part. :)

Capricorny
06-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I know but it would easier and faster to skip that disc/ISO part. :)
Well - Knoppix is basically a compressed image wrapped up in an ISO file, with a few auxilliary files - and for Linux users, that is an acceptable way to do it. I don't really see a great need for creating several variants, as the ISO image may be mounted as an image and programs contained outside the cloop KNOPPIX file run therefrom.

Assuming a program mkflash with option -f (formatting) in a directory utils on the DVD, the whole flash creation could be done like this, using only the ISO file:

sudo mkdir /tmp/knx702
sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop KNOPPIX_V7.0.2DVD-2012-05-30-EN.iso /tmp/knx702
cd /tmp/knx702/utils
mkflash -f /dev/sdb1

I don't think other alternatives would be that much easier and faster, all complexities taken into account.

utu
06-03-2012, 08:12 PM
@ ant

Pendrive Universal USB Installer is a Windows program
that allows you to make LiveUSBs directly from isos.

It currently lists Knoppix V7 as one of its offerings.
You might give this a try. You'll need an 8 Gb usb to include persistence.

Caveats are:
0. If it's called 'V7' it must be a DVD-size offering (today, anyway).
1. This is not a Knopper product.
2. If this is the CeBIT Knoppix 7, it may have some errors and it's not the latest.
3. You may not have a way to verify like testcd or checksum; I don't know.

We'd be happy to hear how this works for you.

ant
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
@ ant

Pendrive Universal USB Installer is a Windows program
that allows you to make LiveUSBs directly from isos.

It currently lists Knoppix V7 as one of its offerings.
You might give this a try. You'll need an 8 Gb usb to include persistence.

Caveats are:
0. If it's called 'V7' it must be a DVD-size offering (today, anyway).
1. This is not a Knopper product.
2. If this is the CeBIT Knoppix 7, it may have some errors and it's not the latest.
3. You may not have a way to verify like testcd or checksum; I don't know.

We'd be happy to hear how this works for you.
Thanks. Wow, 8 GB. The biggest size I have is 1 GB. Heh. Another reason for CD version. I will just wait. ;)

utu
06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
8 Gb Class 10 SDHCs are $7, sport.

Capricorny
06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Actually, I had already used qemu-kvm to create flash directly, I just forgot about it, see http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29398-new-Knoppix-hangs-in-vmware-waiting-for-root-device post #10. (It runs best in 64-bits system, and I haven't used that since remastering 6.7.0.

# lsusb Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0951:1624 Kingston Technology .....
#qemu -cdrom /store/download/iso/KNOPPIX_V6.7.0DVD-2011-08-01-EN.iso -hda /store/vm/qemu/knx670_disk.img -m 1024 -boot d -usb -usbdevice host:0951:1624 &
Then "Install Knoppix to flash disk" can be used in the virtual machine.

I think anything below 8GB (good brands cost from about $10) is rather impractical for Flash Knoppix 7.X. But masochism is of course an option ;)

ant
06-03-2012, 09:05 PM
8 Gb Class 10 SDHCs are $7, sport.But I will have to buy one of those memory card slots. Do they even work fully with very old computers?

Capricorny
06-03-2012, 09:50 PM
But I will have to buy one of those memory card slots. Do they even work fully with very old computers?
An 8GB USB stick may be the safest bet for old computers. The SD cards have changed a bit, at least my old DSLR thinks so..

ant
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
An 8GB USB stick may be the safest bet for old computers. The SD cards have changed a bit, at least my old DSLR thinks so..Yeah, I will have to get one of bigger sizes. Of couse assuming the PC can boot from USB devices. I know Dell Dimension 8250 PCs can't. Blah!

utu
06-03-2012, 10:45 PM
But I will have to buy one of those memory card slots. Do they even work fully with very old computers?

I use a Sony adapter. So long as your USB is USB-2, It'll work fine.

For your first attempt,
buy a Class 10 SDHC but don't buy a premium class jobbie unless you are into
using a video camera. And don't pay more than 1$ per Gb.

After that, treat yourself to something more expensive if you think you still want it.

Cheers.