PDA

View Full Version : Flash Player Install?

Ares Rex
06-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Hey guys, I have some problems. At the moment I'm working with Knoppix 4.0.2 but I can't watch videos on youtube. I think I have to install the Flash Player, but I have no idea how to. I've got Knoppix 5.1 too, but at the moment I use the other version. If it's not possible on the older version, you can also teach me about the 5.1 ;) Thanks.

Werner P. Schulz
06-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Why not try the new Knoppix (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29854-Knoppix-7.0.1-EN-DVD-notes-comments?p=126788#post126788) (=> 4a) version?

Ares Rex
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Why not try the new Knoppix (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29854-Knoppix-7.0.1-EN-DVD-notes-comments?p=126788#post126788) (=> 4a) version?

For free? I can also use Knoppix 5.1. Is there a way to intall the flash player?

klaus2008
06-02-2012, 08:17 AM
You should read the system requirements for Adobe Flash player 11 on Linux systems: Adobe Flash Player 11 / Tech specs (http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html) Firefox 4.0 or better won't run on Knoppix 5.1.1 since some libraries are too old.

user89
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
some videos are not working with Knoppix 5 + an old Flash player so it's better to use a Knoppix 6 at least - download the Flash player on the Adobe.com (.tar.gz) and uncompress it - create a "plugins" directory in your ~/.mozilla - copy the libflashlayer.so you got in the archive into this plugins directory - then sudo cp -r usr/* /usr with Chromium/Knoppix 7, it's even easier ;)

rajibando
07-14-2014, 10:48 AM
The Flash Player downloaded from the Adobe site is the following file:
install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
There is a readme.txt file inside the archive which states:

Unpack the tar.gz file. Once unpacked you will see the following:
+ libflashplayer.so
+ /usr
o Identify the location of the browser plugins directory, based on your Linux distribution and Firefox version
o Copy libflashplayer.so to the appropriate browser plugins directory. At the prompt type:
+ cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation>
o Copy the Flash Player Local Settings configurations files to the /usr directory. At the prompt type:
+ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr
However, when the command
cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation> is executed at a root terminal it gives the following output:
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
I also manually copied, as a superuser, the file to the folder
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/extensions/a folder under this
So where am I going wrong?

rajibando
07-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Yes, it indeed is! One should follow the directions in the readme.txt file inside the archive install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz downloaded from the Adobe site, after following the instructions contained in the above post to create a 'plugins' directory, and manually copy the libflashplayer.so inside the plugins directory, restart the Iceweasel, and the effects will take place. Thanks!

krishna.murphy
07-15-2014, 02:40 AM
cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation> is missing the letter "p" in libflashplayer.so

Cheers!
Krishna:mrgreen:

rajibando
07-15-2014, 03:02 AM
is missing the letter "p" in libflashplayer.so

Cheers!
It is because the original text file within the archive contains the error :)

krishna.murphy
07-15-2014, 04:46 PM
It is because the original text file within the archive contains the error :)

Correct - also explains the error message.

Cheers!

rajibando
07-15-2014, 04:53 PM
Correct - also explains the error message.

Yes, we need to guess intelligently and improvise.
Regards

Harry Kuhman
07-29-2014, 09:25 PM
I've hit a "new to me" problem with Knoppix and Flash. Hoping that others here with more experience with it can help. Here are the details:

I'm using Knoppix 7.0 on a laptop that has a few problems (no hard drive, and a cracked screen so using HDMI out to my monitor). I have not had good results with 7.2 on this computer, so stayed on 7.0 which worked well until now. (Last time that I ran Knoppix was around the beginning of this month and all seemed to go well). I've been unable to get an install to a thumb drive to work properly, so I just boot my 7.0 Knoppix DVD and then install Flash with the menu "Install Components" option.

Today I booted Knoppix and took the "Install Components" option. Takes a lot of extra time, but I saw the message that Adobe Flash was installed fine. Fired up Chromium (had not had any luck with Iceweasel but Chromium worked fine before). Now some sites are simply acting like I don't have Flash installed at all. Hulu is giving me a message about a version of Flash that I need, not saying if it is failing to see Flash or if my version is too old). I actually have no idea which version of Adobe Flash the "install components" option is installing.

I've tried completely rebooting and reinstalling Adobe Flash with the same result.

The above hoop-jumping listed in this thread doesn't look like a good option, I had tried something like that with no success a while ago, and since I've been unsuccessful in using a thumb drive to boot from I don't want to go through all of that every time that I boot the DVD.

So does anyone have any good Knoppix solutions to offer which address the Flash issue. Has anyone remastered an ISO to include a current Adobe Flash that they will share? Is there a simple trick that I'm missing? Are there any other Live DVD's other than Knoppix that address and resolve the Adobe Flash issue?

rajibando
07-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Flash Player is pre-installed in Google Chrome and updates automatically!
You could check whether Adobe flash player is installed at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html
I don't remember which plugins Iceweasel of Knoppix7.0 contained, but the present versions have script blocking and ad-blocking plugins. Maybe they were there in 7.0 too? If they were, you could allow the scripts to run in your system by right clicking and enabling the scripts. There are a lot of options.
For installing Flash in Iceweasel you better try the above-described easy way of creating a plugin folder and just copying-pasting the libflashplayer.so in the folder. Then start Iceweasel.
I am sorry I could not be of much help. You might already have tried these avenues. Maybe my reply would even be found irrelevant when the real problems are detected.
And you are the site-administrator! I am sorry I saw your laurels after I posted this message. You are supposed to be one of those exalted beings we, the mere mortals, never come across!

rajibando
07-30-2014, 03:49 AM
Some additions:
I use persistent image in the HDD to save changes. This way the changes are carried across reboots and are permanent. Later, if I need another system with custom packages, I rename the image file extension with some easy-to-recall text appended at the end of .img extension and reboot from my native Debian-Grub system with Knoppix loopback option in the menu of grub.cfg and Knoppix automatically asks for 'persistent drive'. What you then have is a new system in which you can install and remove packages and make a custom system.

Harry Kuhman
07-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Yea, I'm a mod/admin. But there is still plenty that I don't know about Knoppix and Linux. I've read all of the stuff about Flash being built into Chromium, but just reading all of that hasn't helped, I still have had to use the Install Components section in the menu to be able to use Flash based sites from Chromium. That did work OK through last month. This month I'm having the Adobe flash install still work fine, but then the sites that I've been using fine (including Hulu) are no longer working (at least not recognizing that I have flash). I don't know if it is because the sites have changed something or if something has gone different with the plug-in I'm installing, although it seem less likely that multiple sites would have changed at once.

Never have had any luck installing Knoppix, I've always used it as God intended, as a live CD or DVD. I've had good results installing Debian, but with no hard drive in this laptop that is not an option. Still hoping to find a remastered Knoppix or some other Live disc with a working flash built in.

rajibando
07-30-2014, 05:17 AM
You are blessed, in that you have the ability and patience to read things! I have a reading difficulty which makes me a very visual person. Doesn't booting from thumbdrive (we call it pendrive in India) have the option to use grub.cfg and cloop? If it has, then you could boot from the iso image and create a persistent drive. Your cheat codes explain things.
I did not talk about installing Knoppix on HDD in which case it is a Debian version.
When you already have tried creating the plugins folder as the /home/user./mozilla/plugins and copied-pasted libflashplayer.so in that folder and tested with iceweasel, things are beyond my abilities.
But my best wishes to having your problems solved at the earliest.

rajibando
07-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Please check this page: http://flashtester.org/
and particularly [ very important], https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf
I have tested my Iceweasel-Flash combo. It appears my Flash player plugin appears broken for some sites and working for others. I have tried with third party flash sites at http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/best-flash-sites and while some fails, such as these: http://cloudsovercuba.com/ and http://24hoursofhappy.com/, this: http://bear71.nfb.ca/#/bear71, works nicely. My Iceweasel plug-in is 11.2.202.394 whereas Chromium version is 11.3.31.109.
But most sites that are Flash based also use javascript to load the flash application. Maybe there is a problem with javascript. Check whether this is true.

Harry Kuhman
07-31-2014, 12:47 AM
As to flashtester.org. I get a 500 Internal server error. As to "Maybe there is a problem with javascript. Check whether this is true.", I'm a bit confused there on what you think I should check and how you believe this would be happening. As I tried to make clear, I'm using the same DVD and the same PC that has worked for about the last two years, but starting this week (although not tested for the last few weeks), I'm successfully installing Flash from the Knoppix-> Install Components menu, but then flash (under Chromium) is failing on several sites that I've successfully used it on previously, including Hulu.com.
How do you reconcile that with being a javascript problem, and if it were is there anything that I could do about it?

rajibando
07-31-2014, 03:17 AM
... then flash (under Chromium) is failing on several sites that I've successfully used it on previously, including Hulu.com. ... Sometimes, sites upgrade their software. I have no idea why this happens. But I tested using the same st of software with my Knoppix and the idea I suggested looked plausible. I asked you whether you tried manually making a plugins folder and copying-pasting libflashplayer.so (downloaded directly from Adobe site and uncompressed) into that folder. You now say you used the Knoppix / install components option. I simply don't know what happened to your system, but I told you the results of my tests, based on your inputs. You will surely find a solution if you persist, but please don't forget to post the result in this thread. Good luck!

Harry Kuhman
07-31-2014, 04:44 AM
Please check this page: http://flashtester.org/
and particularly [ very important], https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf

Well, the flashtester page is working now, must have been a temporary problem with the site. However, it isn't of much use. It seems to be a few links to Adobe, then a history lesson about various versions of Adobe Flash. Still following the links there but so far nothing is helping.

As to the "very important" Adobe link, when I clicked on that link from Firefox in Windows it worked fine and identified my Flash version for me. However, I really don't care about Windows. When I tried the same link fron the above in Chromium under Knoppix, the results were, to put it politely, complete crap. I was warned that this type of file can harm my computer. When I told it to keep the file anyway, I got a little download notice at the bottom of the screen. When I selected OPEN there, Knoppix tried to open the file with VLC media player and informed me that VLC can't deal with the file's "input format". Clearly I'm just running a stock Knoppix DVD release with the "install components" option for Flash exercised, so I don't believe that I'm doing anything wrong. Other links on the flashtest site to Adobe are faring no better. Most seem to want to coax me into installing Flash yet again or want me to pick if I'm running under Apple IOS or Windows and don't even give a Linux option.

If javascripts on sites like Hulu have indeed changed, there doesn't seem to be much that I can do about that. Seems strange that several would have all changed at nearly the same time, but I can't prove that didn't happen. But that doesn't get me access to the sites.

I'm not even going to try to jump through all of the hoops to do the more complex manual install if I can't save it, and without a hard drive or a booting thumb drive Knoppix install I seem to be dead there. Still would love to find someone who can offer me any live DVD (doesn't have to be Knoppix) that can boot and run a browser with Flash without doing extra installs.

rajibando
07-31-2014, 05:16 AM
My difference with yours is that my family uses only Linux (knoppix and debian), so I have no other option than to solve my issues as soon as they arise. And two different versions of Linux help in identifying the source(s) of troubles. Presently, I have none, except perhaps a few sites who keep their software at the cutting edge :) Good luck!

Werner P. Schulz
07-31-2014, 05:09 PM
Hallo Harry,

I suppose your problem is induced by using the outdated Knoppix version 7.0 and the "Install components"-tool.

Just now I've used this tool of K Knopper within Knoppix 7.2. Some hundred packages have been tested and a lot of them upgraded and at the end of this process the version 1:3.5 of flashplugin-nonfree has been installed.

Now I can see YouTube within Iceweasel and Chromium. Within Icewaesel the (View => Toolbars) "Add-on Bar" must be visible; within this bar you can see the icon of NoScript in the left corner and in the right corner the "Option"-button. With this button you can select your proper settings - for example: Temporarily allow youtube.com.

Why do you have a problem with Flash disk install and version 7.2? Is the md5sum of download ok and are there no errors using the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"? Because you cannot boot from USB, why not using a bootonly-CD 7.2?

I cannot test your preferred site because I get this message from www.hulu.com: (http://www.hulu.com:) Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States.

Greetings Werner

rajibando
07-31-2014, 07:17 PM
... When I tried the same link fron the above in Chromium under Knoppix, the results were, to put it politely, complete crap. I was warned that this type of file can harm my computer. When I told it to keep the file anyway, I got a little download notice at the bottom of the screen. When I selected OPEN there, Knoppix tried to open the file with VLC media player and informed me that VLC can't deal with the file's "input format". ... This is because your file association is incorrect. The file association information are in defaults.list, mimeapps.list among other files. The swf file downloaded because your flash is not associated with .swf files in your system. So Chromium downloads the .swf file. Also, your swf file is not associated with flash standalone player, but associated with VLC media player. That's why VLC is trying to play the file. This is not a major problem and can be corrected by changing the association. Then in Knoppix too, chromium will give you the version number. Your upgrading the version of flash does not affect Chromium, AFAIK. It affects Iceweasel. You could try with the suggestion. Then, if you still have not been able to resolve the difficulties, Mr. Schulz's suggestion awaits your applying it.

Harry Kuhman
07-31-2014, 10:00 PM
rijabando: Yes, I know about file associations and understood what was happening. That doesn't mean that I (or others following the given instructions) know how to change these associations in Linux. With an installed system it is reasonable to expect that file associations may be different for different users, but for a LIVE DVD we are working with a well defined situation. As far as I know Knoppix does not change any file associations based on hardware configuration, so I had expected that the instructions provided would work on a stock Knoppix system booted from an optical disc. They didn't, which unfortunately is what I find to be far too typical of the Linux experience and what is still keeping it from the mainstream desktop. Sure, those who know all of the secret handshakes recognize the problem and fix it instantly, it is so simple to them that they don't even bother to mention the actual steps taken.

And I'm not saying that as an ignorant user who shouldn't be allowed to even have a computer in the first place. I was a hacker in college even before the term was well know and worked all of my professional life in software. I've worked with many operating systems very intimately, diagnosing and repairing bugs deep inside OSs and system software. I can program in assembly as well as higher level languages. I've picked through core dumps and resolved problems many times, both software and hardware issues. I've written a forth interpreter as part of a three man team. I had figured out all but one of the hardware tricks of the C64 BEFORE the C64 programmer's manual was released. But Linux doesn't make even using it as a basic user easy. There is way too much that the experts assume everyone should just somehow "know". And when the users don't innately know something the experts too frequently point this out without ever saying just what the basic user needs to move to the next step.

I also know the lore about Chromium having Flash built in and the Install only being for Firefox/Iceweasel. All I can say about that is that it conflicts with the facts. I could run the Knoppix->install Components->flash option and still was completely unable to access flash sites with Iceweasel (and I generally prefer Firefox over Chrome although each has their merits). And if I booted Knoppix but didn't do the Knoppix->install Components->flash, Chromium would fail on the flash based sites for me. When I did the install that supposedly only affects Iceweasel then Chromium would work on the sites that I was interested in (and Iceweasel would not).

Warner: To be honest, I don't remember exactly what the issue with 7.2 was. I did get a good download, checked the md5 chacksum and confirmed that I had a good low speed burn. It just didn't work well on this particular hardware. And I do acknowledge that I have less than perfect hardware, no hard drive, broken screen, can't even get to the BIOS because it doesn't recognize and access the HDMI output the way the Knoppix does. This wasn't the first time that a newer version of Knoppix failed over older versions (I stayed on 4.02 for quite a while because it suddenly supported a PC card WiFi interface correctly that older versions and, sadly, newer versions would fail on.) So I simply made the reasonable-at-the-time choice to stay with the 7.0 that did all that I needed than to add to my problems with 7.2.

Yes, maybe I should find my 7.2 DVD again (or download another copy). The first thing that I looked at was if there was anything newer than 7.2, but that was not the case. But if I'm going to start downloading again anyway, I was hoping that someone here might know of a distro of a live DVD that I could use that already included a viable flash in it (maybe one of those ones with too many vowels in the name or even something less mainstream so not to attract the ire of Adobe). Particularly since I remember enough about 7.2 to remember that it didn't work well for me.

rajibando
08-01-2014, 04:22 AM
rijabando: ... doesn't mean that I (or others following the given instructions) know how to change these associations in Linux. With an installed system it is reasonable to expect that file associations may be different for different users... Dear Harry, it is not complicated! There are lines, for example," text/css=gedit.desktop;" which you can replace with your chosen package, such as, "text/css=kwrite.desktop;" . That said, I did not find any association like vlc or swf, which means if such lines are there in the file it should be replaced with appropriate ones. In the root too there is only one association, application/octet-stream=gedit.desktop;
... I find to be far too typical of the Linux experience and what is still keeping it from the mainstream desktop. Sure, those who know all of the secret handshakes recognize the problem and fix it instantly, it is so simple to them that they don't even bother to mention the actual steps taken.... I completely agree, I have said to many that Linux fails to reach end users because of its cryptic help files, which are for programmers. Sometimes, I too think whether this Open Source and Proprietary battle is actually a battle of egotism, like, "I am more right than you are"! But then there are good things with Open Source, which ultimately is about freedom. Proprietary systems keep us enslaved, we are free so long as we are with them!
... There is way too much that the experts assume everyone should just somehow "know". And when the users don't innately know something the experts too frequently point this out without ever saying just what the basic user needs to move to the next step... Perhaps, the experts don't assume anything, but expect that the users have explored the system well. At other times, may be it gives them an ego-boost! Man is after all animal, and like all animals, territorial and irrational. But, keeping these things aside, let us explore the possibilities before replacing a seemingly broken system with a new one.
...When I did the install that supposedly only affects Iceweasel then Chromium would work on the sites that I was interested in (and Iceweasel would not)... No, I take back this statement. I find that when I ran the flash tester swf both versions of flash player for Chromium and Iceweasel were the same. Maybe, Chrome shares the plugins folder with Iceweasel. I have to check this out further.
...Warner: ...So I simply made the reasonable-at-the-time choice to stay with the 7.0 that did all that I needed than to add to my problems with 7.2. ...Yes, maybe I should find my 7.2 DVD again (or download another copy). ... I remember enough about 7.2 to remember that it didn't work well for me.... I am not talking on behalf of Mr. Schulz, but personally I feel you shouldn't change if you don't want too. Familiarity brings with it some comfort level. And most of the time, this comfort level lets us focus on the task at hand, rather than our sudden impulse to become a programmer cum systems-admin ourselves :)

rajibando
08-01-2014, 04:51 AM
Answer me one question: if you don't have a HDD where do you have your persistent knoppix-data.img file?

Harry Kuhman
08-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Answer me one question: if you don't have a HDD where do you have your persistent knoppix-data.img file?

I don't. I have been running Knoppix from a stock DVD. Browsing the web with great comfort that I can't do much harm no matter where I go. In fact, it is the one system that I trust to follow suspicious links when trying to determine if a post is legitimate or malware. This has worked well for me, I use it for browsing that I don't want to trust on my main Windows system. If I visit a site that seems to be trying to start trouble I just reboot and start again. Plus I use the HDMI out to watch Hulu, Crackle, Youtube and other video sources on my large screen TV. But starting some time this month I can no longer access many flash based sites that used to work fine this way with the same Knoppix 7.0 DVD, including Hulu and Crackle. I just found that I can play some videos on Youtube, but I'm suspecting that they are using HTML5 or some other video technology rather than Flash, as everything else seems to have broken at the same time.

I've actually never had a persistent image working with Knoppix. As far as Linux is concerned I've used Debian systems for things where I wanted persistence. But none of the systems that I have that I can run Debian on have HDMI out, so I would still like to find a live DVD with Chromium (or some other browser but with Adobe flash already installed) so that I can just boot the system and browse when I want without having to muck with ugly Linux Flash installs each time.

rajibando
08-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Then how can you carry all the packages installed in your system by installing newer versions across reboots?

...I'm suspecting that they are using HTML5 or some other video technology rather than Flash, as everything else seems to have broken at the same time...
I told you that this might be the case, and might happen when websites update their software.
The other culprit could be java. Maybe script blockers are blocking java scripts.
And I appreciate your choices.
I will check with my Knoppix 7.0.2 when I have some time.
Good luck :)

Harry Kuhman
08-01-2014, 06:59 AM
To clarify one more thing, I've been doing some additional playing on that system tonight, and my problems with Iceweasel have not been Flash, they were javascript problems with sites like Hulu. I had simply put that out of my mind since they were resolved by switching to Chromium. Prior to July I could watch flash based videos with that configuration on pretty much any site that I tried, but now, although the Flash install is reporting that it was successful, I fail when I actually try to use Flash based sites.

Werner P. Schulz
08-01-2014, 07:08 AM
The first thing that I looked at was if there was anything newer than 7.2, but that was not the case.Hello Harry,
it seems to me that KK is working hard these days with the new version of Knoppix and we can expect V7.4 in the near future.

Greetings Werner

rajibando
08-01-2014, 07:16 AM
...I've been doing some additional playing on that system tonight, and my problems with Iceweasel have not been Flash, they were javascript problems with sites like Hulu...
Then, a Thank You is in order, perhaps? Eh?
Simply stop the scripts- and ads- blockers and check.
Have a good time :)

Harry Kuhman
08-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Then how can you carry all the packages installed in your system by installing newer versions across reboots?

I don't. I don't care about any of that. Knoppix has always been for me what it was originally intended to be, a Live CD (or DVD). I've never understood why, if someone wants an installed system they would muck with Knoppix rather than just do a Debian install. All I want here is a disc that I can boot in my lame laptop and it will boot, recognize that hardware, and run a decent Linux system on the hardware with HDMI output, and a browser in there somewhere that will support javascript and Flash. Through June of this year Knoppix fit my needs, although I had to reinstall Flash after each reboot. I could browse if that is what I wanted (and it usually was), or there were plenty of Linux applications pre-installed that I could play with, or I could try installing something new, it was fine with me that, if I did install stuff, the system would go back to "stock" the next time it was rebooted, it simply meant than no matter what I did I wasn't going to "break" anything.

Let me add that I've been known to carry a Live Knoppix DVD with another laptop when I travel. If I'm somewhere that I might feel uncomfortable logging in with the Installed Windows system, such as a cyber cafe, I may run the DVD. I might even pull the hard drive just to be safe before running the Knoppix DVD.

All I'm looking for here is to get back to a "boot the disc and run" situation, I certainly don't want something where extensive Linux "fixes" have to be put in place to make the disc suitable for basic use each time that it is booted.

rajibando
08-01-2014, 07:30 AM
You and I have been typing and posting together :) which is a good sign!
Like I said, I appreciate your choices :)

I've never understood why, if someone wants an installed system they would muck with Knoppix rather than just do a Debian install
I hope you just said that as a figure of speech, because I use Knoppix exactly like that, and I have my own reasons ;) .

...I could browse if that is what I wanted (and it usually was), or there were plenty of Linux applications pre-installed that I could play with, or I could try installing something new, it was fine with me that, if I did install stuff, the system would go back to "stock" the next time it was rebooted, it simply meant than no matter what I did I wasn't going to "break" anything....
Anyhow, you can't break anything even in persistent images. Just rename the image and a clean slate reappears!

Harry Kuhman
08-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Then, a Thank You is in order, perhaps? Eh?
Simply stop the scripts- and ads- blockers and check.
Have a good time :)
No, I think you completely miss the point. Iceweasel has javascript disabled by default. Chromium works with javascript without having to reconfigure every time you boot. So I've been using Chromium. Nothing about that changes that the Knoppix 7.0 and Chromium combo that worked through June of 2014 is no longer letting me watch Flash and is now complaining either that I don't have Flash installed or is complaining that the Flash is too old.

rajibando
08-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Iceweasel has javascript disabled by default
I am saying the opposite! Stop the blocking of scripts, i.e., enable the scripts, i.e., disable the scripts- and ads- blockers.
And you can understand that some (not all) sites have become inaccessible for your native Flash.
So, that's it. If your flash is old, replace with a new flash libflashplayer.so plugin manually in /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins.
Even then, if flash doesn't play for those sites, the sites are doing something complicated & your knoppix is fine!
How could I miss the point? :)

Werner P. Schulz
08-01-2014, 08:54 AM
I have been running Knoppix from a stock DVD. Browsing the web with great comfort that I can't do much harm no matter where I go.If you only want a secure browsing medium, you don't need the Knoppix DVD. You can use the CD version and remaster it. Install Chromium and flashplugin-nonfree and purge LibreOffice and Gimp (otherwise you'll exceed the size limit for an CD). With my remaster script (http://www.wp-schulz.de/summary/summary-remaster.html) it's an easy done job.

rajibando
08-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Hello, Mr. Schulz, I never had the opportunity to say hello again, when we met here after a long time! Thank you for the information. I would have a look at it shortly.

Werner P. Schulz
08-01-2014, 09:09 AM
If NoScript for Iceweasel is unwanted, deinstall it before remaster. Per default this add-on isn't within Iceweasel; KK added it to enable secure browsing with Knoppix.

utu
08-01-2014, 02:33 PM
If NoScript for Iceweasel is unwanted, deinstall it before remaster.
Greetings, all.

This thread has got me thinking about using NoScript by default with IceWeasel.

I've put up with its quirks for some time, but it does seem quite a nuisance at times.
I've recently disabled but not uninstalled and I find I get warnings when
some script is hung up which I can disable. That seems to be more useful than
all the hangs I run into usually.

Also, I note that there are a lot of individual choices one may employ using
NoScript to target just individual scripting nuisances. See the screenshot,
for example.

So, just tweaking NoScript choices may be another option for those Knoppixers
that are not happy browsers.

Harry Kuhman
08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
My issue is resolved, at least sort of.

First of all, I want to apologize to the group for my inability to make myself clear. I had a Live Knoppix DVD 7.0 that was installing flash from the menu option and then doing what I wanted it to do (play web videos), up through June of 2014. In July of 2014 something happened. Same DVD, but now after the Adobe Flash install (which, of course was from somewhere on the web and not the DVD) I could no longer use the system for the same sites that it had worked on previously. Sure, just maybe all of the sites that I was visiting all changed how they deal with flash at the same time and managed to keep that secret. But I'll really always believe that something changed with the external site that flash was being installed from. What I wanted was information on live CD/DVD alternatives. Remastered Knoppixes would have been the most preferred, since I know Knoppix and it has worked well for me on this crippled hardware. But any suggestions that were known to let me boot an optical disc into Linux and browse with flash (and javascript) would have been welcome.

What I wasn't looking for, and wasn't very receptive to, were suggestions that I should be making a lot of technical changes to my broken Knoppix system. I had a very negative attitude that I could successfully make those changes (based on years of frustration in dealing with that type of Linux fixes) or that they would really resolve the issue anyway or that it would matter at all since I had tried to make it clear that I was dealing with a Live Disk with no hard drive to store the changes. I wasn't receptive to discussions about changing no-script in Iceweasel, since I was happy using Chromium that didn't have the Iceweasel no-script issue, and if there were any scripting issues with javascript changes on the sites that I was visiting they were out of my control anyway. I had no interest at all in doing my first Knoppix remaster to try to fix a problem of this nature, and I don't have a computer with a hard disk that I can install Knoppix on do start fooling with the remastering process anyway.

So I decided that I wasn't being pointed in the directions that I was hoping others who had already fought this problem and might have helpful experience with would point me in, and I didn't want to fight with the directions that I felt that I was being told to go. Instead I decided to just blindly search for other Linux Live CDs and find something that I could try. I expected that I would have to reject a few systems but would eventually stumble across something that would be the tool that I was looking for without having to become a tool maker just to be a tool user.

I seem to have gotten lucky with my first pick. I downloaded a copy of Linux Mint DVD. It does boot on my questionable hardware and finds the HDMI output and lets me use the system. I had some reservations since the release notes had a lot of "helpful" suggestions about cheat codes that might be needed during booting and I would be unable to use any of them (I can't see the screen until Linux is booted up, remember). I can again browse and go to Hulu and all of the other sites that I previously used, and so far everything is working.

I'm certainly not recommending this particular distribution. First of all, I haven't used it nearly enough to do that. Second of all, it is much more limited than Knoppix (the DVD is only 1.3 gig). It only has one browser, Firefox and not Chromium. It lacks a lot of the eye candy of Knoppix, the 3D effects, the games and a lot more. It seems to be slower than Knoppix was when it was working. But it lets me do the thing that I used to do with Knoppix but stopped working in July, browse the web and watch videos. And it does that with a built-in flash that I don't have to reinstall from the web every time that I reboot. It's just a tool to do a particular thing, but that is what I was looking for.

I expect that after using this for a few days I may check other Linux Live CDs and DVDs. And when the next Knoppix comes out I will likely try that again (even though I really like not having to install Flash after every reboot). But at least I have a tool that is doing the job that i want done again. Just sorry that it isn't Knoppix.

If anyone does remaster the Knoppx DVD to include a fresh working Flash version, please Private Message me.

rajibando
08-03-2014, 01:42 PM
To all members who stumble to this thread:
Please don't let the above discussion confuse you. Follow the steps below and you should be successfully playing Flash contents within Mozilla:
I too had an old Flash Plugin in my Knoppix system which was incapable of playing flash videos, particularly, from YouTube.
I upgraded my Flash plugin by

Manually creating a plugins folder as:
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
Then I downloaded the compressed Flash plugin tar.gz package from Adobe website, Version 11.2.202.394 (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/), uncompressed it, extracted the libflashplayer.so plugin and placed it in the plugins folder, and the other contents into folders for which they are intended.
Then I tested with the flash version testing site (https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf) . The site shows the current version no. 11,2,202,394 using commas, rather than full-stops.
Now the sites which use adobe flash content are shown by my flash player within my browser, particularly, YouTube.
Some sites might not be. You should check your Scripts- and Ads- blockers and reconfigure them.

Hopefully, the problems would be solved.

Harry Kuhman
08-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Just a few updates for users now that Knoppix 7.4 is still out. Under Knoppix 7.4 using Adobe Flash still requires running an install script (the install scripts now offer several additional pieces of software that they did not offer in 7.0). This was painfully slow, on my system it took about 45 minutes before I was told that Flash was installed successfully. However, it was not. Like 7.0 (which worked correctly previously but stopped working some time in July of this year), sites like Hulu tell me that I need to install Flash to view their content. As I used Knoppix mainly for web browsing, this will be a deal breaker for me.

If you want to run Abobe Flash under Knoppix I suggest trying to follow rajibando's instructions above. Or if you find yourself Linux challenged like me, try a different Live disc. So far Linux Mint is still the best version that I have found that comes with Abobe Flash already installed. I have also found that PCLinuxOS includes a working copy of Adobe Flash. It isn't working right for my hardware, the screen is defaulting to 3x4 aspect ration at boot even though the laptop and the external monitor are both 16x9 format (this can be easily changed after boot) and the audio isn't working correctly (and resisting fixing) (both Knoppix and Linux Mint get both of these right). Results on different hardware may vary, so if Linux Mint isn't right for you then PCLinuxOS may be another option.

Werner P. Schulz
08-08-2014, 11:23 AM
This was painfully slow, on my system it took about 45 minutes before I was told that Flash was installed successfully.I've tested it on my laptop using a flash disk install of V7.4.0 on a 8GB USB stick. The sript needed 4 min for "aptitude update" ( because I didn't it before) and needed 1 min 32 sec for installation of flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.

With this I've got Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394; this is the newest version from Adobe for free. Therefore it isn't necessary to follow rajibando's instructions above.

Perhaps it's time to update your hardware. Knoppix is an up-to-date Live Linux and it requires up-to-date hardware.

rajibando
08-08-2014, 05:13 PM
... it isn't necessary to follow rajibando's instructions above ...
First of all, I need to say that the instruction is not mine, friends :). So I don't deserve the credit. In fact, user89 (http://knoppix.net/forum/member.php?85949-user89) had discussed it in brief. Also, as I have stated earlier, in the Post No.6&7 (http://knoppix.net/forum/showthread.php?29860-Flash-Player-Install&p=131047&viewfull=1#post131047) the archive install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz downloaded from the Adobe site contains a readme.txt file that contains the requisite information, though not very clear or correct. But it takes little effort to bridge the gap and anyone should be able to do it.
So the instructions are Adobe's really, not mine!
And it is necessary to remember the instructions, because Adobe will surely update its Flash Plugin in between two Knoppix releases, and installing the new version via the native Knoppix method might not work, like it didn't presently. Then the steps would again be necessary to install the Flash Plugin.

I repeat with emphasis: It _is_ imperative to remember the Manual Installation Steps via the native Readme.txt file of the archived Flash plugin install_flash_player_xx_linux.yyy.tar.gz. (xx version no. and yyy, the architecture of the CPU).

Werner P. Schulz
08-08-2014, 06:15 PM
And it is necessary to remember the instructions, because Adobe will surely update its Flash Plugin in between two Knoppix releases, and installing the new version via the native Knoppix method might not work, like it didn't presently.First of all - Knoppix is a Live Linux. See also my warnings at Hardware install Wiki (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation#Warning:_Knoppix_ is_a_Live_Linux_DVD).

If you need an OS with security updates, you have to think about it, if Knoppix is the right one.

But if you want a new version of Adobe flash player within Knoppix you can do it with aptitude. "aptitude update" and if there is a new version of "flashplugin-nonfree" you can install (update) it. For example within Knoppix V7.3.0 there have been flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.4. After "aptitude update" I can select flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5 and will get the latest version from Adobe.

Harry Kuhman
08-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Perhaps it's time to update your hardware. Knoppix is an up-to-date Live Linux and it requires up-to-date hardware.
The hardware in question is a relatively new HP laptop, dual core, 4 gig of memory, that came with Win7. Since I'll never considering buying a Win 8.x system, this is the newest system that I have that I can run Knoppix on, and I really can't buy newer.

The hard drive has failed and the screen is cracked. I don't see those as likely to be issues with running Knoppix from DVD.

I don't know how you pulled off the instal that you are talking about at the speed you saw. We certainly may have different Internet speeds, and the U.S.A. is far behind Europe and even many third world countries in that regard because we carve out monopolies for rich ISPs and then give them incentives to over charge rather than upgrade equipment. Still, the connection is not bad relative to other local options. What I see when I run the script to install Adobe Flash from the Knoppix->Install Components menu is that numerous little installs happen, and each of them may take from many seconds to several minutes or more. The estimates of how much time for each task will jump around a good bit during the downloads, and the indicated speeds are less than I see when I just download files from other sites through the connection, making me believe that it is the source of the files that is the bottleneck more than a speed limitation on my end. Only Knoppix is using the Internet connection at the time, there are no other users doing downloads and competing for bandwidth. So I'm confused on why we are seeing such drastic differences in speeds (and would like to see other reports of how long it is taking people to do the "Adobe Install" from the Knoppix menu, particularly from users in the United States. However, since the "install" doesn't really get me a working copy of flash, the issue seems far less important.

Werner P. Schulz
08-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Hello Harry,

my Laptop isn't the newest one; It is a three years old low end laptop. And my Internet connection isn't a high speed connection: download rate nearby 240 kB/sec. For download of Knoppix DVD I've needed about 4 hours.

Installation of Flash player can also be done with two single steps
su
aptitude update
su
aptitude install flashplugin-nonfreeThe Knoppix script does nothing else.

Harry Kuhman
08-08-2014, 10:50 PM
I had certainly not tried to install it that way. I used the menu option: menu->Knoppix->Install Components then picked the Adobe Flash option. That is the one that runs a long script and takes forever. It worked up through June of 2014 (although it still took a long time), it no longer works but is still included in Knoppix 7.4. I'm not clear why the long complex and slow script would have been included if a simple command is just as good (or even better since it is much faster and actually seems to work).

As to network speeds I got my Knoppix DVD ISO in less than an hour, using the torrents. There were more EN torrent seeders at the time than there were DE torrent seeders so that may not be a fair comparison. But I've always used the torrents since they became available, I find them both much faster than the mirrors used to be (I remember starting mirror downloads for the CD and aborting them because I was getting estimates of over a day to complete) and error free (I saw a high percentage of bad downloads for the Knoppix ISO when downloading with Windows). I found that something was causing the mirrors to treat the file as text rather than binary and do a Linux->Windows NL->CR/LF translation on the file. I've only ever seen this on Knoppix ISO downloads and no other downloads, but I saw it on a lot of different Knoppix mirrors over the years. Never had a corrupt torrent download (the text vs. binary problem isn't there and the protocol enforces a lot more error checking and correcting).

rajibando
08-09-2014, 04:39 AM
...if you want a new version of Adobe flash player within Knoppix you can do it with aptitude. "aptitude update" and if there is a new version of "flashplugin-nonfree" you can install (update) it. For example within Knoppix V7.3.0 there have been flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.4. After "aptitude update" I can select flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5 and will get the latest version from Adobe...
Hi, Mr. Schulz, why is it that you say hello to Mr. Kuhman but not to me when I greet you, when you post to my reply :) ? We _are_ acquainted, so far as I can remember, exchanging personal messages... If there has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the way I sincerely apologise.
I have reservations against apt's ability to resolve issues.
The latest example is my trying to install nVidia packages in my HCL laptop. The problem is that Knoppix uses several repos, including Stable, Testing and Experimental. The chances are that the packages of each repo may be incompatible with the other, like my nVidia drivers. I first installed nvidia-detect, then tried to install other nvidia drivers, as directed by nvidia detect. I tried but apt would not install, reporting conflicting dependencies. Then I was compelled to download and install the drivers via gdebi, as without the drivers my display is limited to 1024X768. With nvidia drivers it is 1280X800. Now, the repository database is broken. I can install new packages, but at the end it will report the installed conflicting dependencies of nvidia xserver.
There is another option, using just one repository to install a package such as nvidia. I know, but am not changing the setup since my system is working just fine! But I will do it in future with a new release of Knoppix.
In the end, Apt and Knoppix scripts are created for automation, by men, to be used by men, hence is limited like men are. They will work when they do, but no automation is panacea, I mean, for all systems and for all times.
Hence, in particular cases, we do need to remember the manual install methods. This was the context for my emphasising on the manual install method via the adobe's native Readme.txt file inside its archive package.
Since the intent of this thread has already been addressed, shall we close it now and discuss the related issues in some other thread? :)

Werner P. Schulz
08-09-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm not clear why the long complex and slow script would have been included ..
Hello Harry,

I suppose, KK did it for beginners without any knowledge about aptitude. The script by itself isn't slow; after collecting what to do, aptitude works and not the script.

For me there is no difference with download speed (nearby 240 kB/sec) using a Mirror within Germany or using Torrents. But you are right, to avoid corrupt downloads - especially of Knoppix - one should use Torrents.

Werner P. Schulz
08-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Hi, Mr. Schulz, why is it that you say hello to Mr. Kuhman but not to me ..Yes, I know your real name from PM and also from some other people of this forum. But I don'l like nicknames and I never use it within a greeting formula. I respect it, if people want to hide themselves. It is something else, if people here use a real name. If so, I'll use their first name for greetings.

Hence, in particular cases, we do need to remember the manual install methods.Yes, but the use of apt or aptitude is a manual install method and nothing happens automatic. I prefer aptitude.

If you use "aptitude install foo", then aptitude tries to find a solution. If there are problems, aptitude offers to look for other solutions or to quit. Perhaps, one of the other suggestions will fit. If no, you can try "aptitude install -t stable foo" or "aptitude install -t testing foo" or one of the many other options of aptitude.

rajibando
08-09-2014, 11:49 AM
...But I don'l like nicknames and I never use it within a greeting formula. I respect it, if people want to hide themselves. ... Thanks for explaining! :) You _can_ always use my first name or my family name. There is nothing secretive about it. 'rajibando' is just my user name. In Debian, Ubuntu and Geogebra, I use my gmail user name. The name issue arises just because of the username one has to choose. I chose an intuitive one some fifteen years back, during the initial stages of internet exposure in my country.
...If there are problems, aptitude offers to look for other solutions or to quit. Perhaps, one of the other suggestions will fit. If no, you can try "aptitude install -t stable foo" or "aptitude install -t testing foo" or one of the many other options of aptitude... The difficulty with aptitude is the lack of illustrative examples, something which irks me. I had even decided at one point to rewrite the man pages of linux but I don't know where to begin. For each binary file (core utilities and other files) there are different maintainers. It would be difficult for me to contact each one when there is no centralised resource.

Werner P. Schulz
08-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Hello Rajib,

perhaps the study of Debian 7 (http://debian-handbook.info/browse/wheezy/) and of Debian Reference (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/index.en.html) will get you any further.
Greetings Werner

rajibando
08-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Thank you :) The newer version is definitely better!

Porteņo
09-05-2014, 07:42 PM
needed 1 min 32 sec for installation of flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.
With this I've got Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394; this is the newest version from Adobe for free.
Hello, Werner.
I'm using V7.4.0 on a 8GB USB stick, and have installed flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.
Would you please tell me, step by step, what have I to do to get Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394 installed and working?
Thanks,
Eduardo

Werner P. Schulz
09-06-2014, 09:27 AM
.. what have I to do to get Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394 installed and working?Hello Eduardo!

aptitude update
aptitude install flashplugin-nonfreeAfter this have a look at "Iceweasel => Tools => Add-ons => Plugins"

On websites with Flash content use within Iceweasel the "NoScript" icon => "Temporarily allow all this page"

Porteņo
09-13-2014, 11:24 AM
My apologies for answering so late...busy week.
I did what you said and it worked!
Thanks, Werner.
PS: For some other stream contents I installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree (Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin) from Synaptic and now I have video and images for Iceweasel and Chromium.
Thanks again!

don999
09-18-2014, 11:11 AM
To all members who stumble to this thread:
Please don't let the above discussion confuse you. Follow the steps below and you should be successfully playing Flash contents within Mozilla:
I too had an old Flash Plugin in my Knoppix system which was incapable of playing flash videos, particularly, from YouTube.
I upgraded my Flash plugin by

Manually creating a plugins folder as:
/home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
Then I downloaded the compressed Flash plugin tar.gz package from Adobe website, Version 11.2.202.394 (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/), uncompressed it, extracted the libflashplayer.so plugin and placed it in the plugins folder, and the other contents into folders for which they are intended.
Then I tested with the flash version testing site (https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/flash/about/flashAbout_info_small.swf) . The site shows the current version no. 11,2,202,394 using commas, rather than full-stops.
Now the sites which use adobe flash content are shown by my flash player within my browser, particularly, YouTube.
Some sites might not be. You should check your Scripts- and Ads- blockers and reconfigure them.

Hopefully, the problems would be solved.

I like to install the flashplayer "manually" and have noticed that the 64 bit version doesn't seem to show up in about:plugins under iceweasel. The 32 bit version however seems to run fine. You can just copy it into the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory.

/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins doesn't seem to work and neither does /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.

At the moment I'm running knoppix v7.4.1.

I've done this manual install so many times that it's almost hardwired now:

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ cd Downloads/
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ tar xzf install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr
knoppix@Microknoppix:~/Downloads$ uname -r
3.16.2-64

and closing/relaunching iceweasel and going to about:plugins shows:

Shockwave FlashFile: libflashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Version: 11.2.202.406
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

Porteņo
09-20-2014, 11:49 AM
No code line was necessary for me, installed with Synaptic
flashplugin-nonfree
and
pepperflashplugin-nonfree

and all works fine.
The pepper thing is for seeing some stream contents.