PDA

View Full Version : Running without HD

Levon
06-18-2003, 12:30 AM
I want to run Knoppix on my laptop without a hard drive, is this possible?

Ambrose
06-18-2003, 12:38 AM
Yeah, it works fine. I have a box setup without a hd now, which is the box I use for my wireless networking stuff.

There's really no difference between running with or without a hd, except for storing large files. A floppy works good for the 2 config file I need.

Loper
06-18-2003, 12:42 AM
I want to run Knoppix on my laptop without a hard drive, is this possible?
If you have 128MB or more RAM and the laptop is supported, sure. You can then use a floppy to store your settings.

Levon
06-18-2003, 01:20 AM
The laptop has about 16 megabytes RAM, what do you think?

Loper
06-18-2003, 01:28 AM
I think it will run in text-mode, but no GUI. If it really came with 16 MB, I think it's too old to run anything useful. What brand/model is it?

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 03:51 AM

YIKES! The only distro I know of that isn't antiquated and has X windows AND would run on 16M is mulinux (http://mulinux.nevalabs.org/)

It's not terribly hard to install- it's not Knoppix but if you take your time it should work out for you. I have it on an 8M laptop and yes- it boots xwindows. More of a toy than anything tho- great project/learning experience however.

timmoore47
06-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Loper said a few posts back that with out a HD Knoppix ran fine using the floppy for storage.

Which version was that 3.1 or 3.2 because I can't save my settings on 3.2? It it me or is 3.1 better than 3.2 in floppy usage?

a puzzled,

Tim

Ambrose
06-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I just booted with 'knoppix 2' from my p-100mhz with 16 megs of ram, no HD. It booted up fine, and runs fine to this day. Apache doesn't take up alot of ram!

- Ambrose

A. Jorge Garcia
06-19-2003, 05:05 PM
I had problems trying out the early editions of V3.2 also. I haven't tried late May or June versions yet. My problem was that I could not use CUPS. I would write some code in KATE, configure a printer in CUPS, then go to print from KATE and KDECrashHandler catches KATE!

Regards,

Ambrose
06-20-2003, 01:13 AM
Kate seems to be a little buggy... for example...

Within a script, I call kate /var/log/iamanidiotlog
Then I execute the bash script, and it works...

If you call the script with 'sudo' first, kate crashes.

This can get quite anoying! I've just put a sudo in front of everything in my script, except for the kate part.

- Ambrose