View Full Version : Knoppix 7.0.3 CD & DVD now on mirrors

utu
07-02-2012, 04:19 PM
7.0.3 is now available for download at
http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
Cheers.

Capricorny
07-03-2012, 07:08 AM
For the DVD case, is this this most likely kind of "syncing" update? To keep the package versions on CD and DVD releases in sync?

Blacksimon
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi Utu, you know what kind of update from 7.0.2 ?
Any release notes yet

bye

utu
07-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Greetings, Blacksimon.

Initial observations on 703 CD-version, after a few hours:

CD-version is new, and a nice adjunct to 702 DVD-version.
IceApe replaces IceWeasel; fiddleware may be different.
3d has some frame-loss problems, easily reset via MainMenu.
Lovely ability to stack compressed images.
Cured an ntfs oops for Brasero present in 702.
Something new about KDE time and date.
2 Gb SD-card LiveUSB boots-to-on-line in 34 seconds.
b43 change-over from wl for Broadcom wifis still works for me.

No release notes yet; these will show at site listed in Post #1, most likely.

Capricorny
07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
No release notes as far as I can see, and it looks very much like 7.0.2 on first sight.
This is written from CD version running under qemu. To test and to install to flash. Used the command (in the CD download directory)

sudo qemu KNOPPIX_V7.0.3CD-20120-06-25.iso -hdb /dev/sdb -m 1024
and used the "Install Knoppix to flash disk" menu item in the virtual machine. Seems to work just fine.
No 64-bits kernel with the CD, but it still comes with the basic applications. And Synaptic is there, so it's just to start installing whatever is needed.

PS: It's Iceweasel 10.0.5 I'm running, 10.0.4 on 7.0.2.

utu
07-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Initial observations on 703 CD-version, after a few hours:
IceApe replaces IceWeasel; fiddleware may be different.

I installed flash via Install-Components, which is the 'preferred' method.
It may be that causes a changeover from IceWeasel to IceApe as well.

IceApe build ID is dated 6/08/2012.

Capricorny
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Installing flashplugin-nonfree with apt-get avoided the conversion from weasel to ape. I'm a bit unsure about a couple of things. Synaptic wouldn't run because of some obscure complaint, had to run aptitude update first to get it going. mkfs.ext3 didn't work out of the box, had to install it anew. (And don't blame bad burning here, md5sums were OK, and the image was never burnt, but run in a VM as described.) Still, there may be some USB write errrors.

It doesn't seem to be easy to add a 64-bits kernel the "official" way.

utu
07-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Greetings, Capricorny.

I had about the same experience as you with Synaptic; however after a few minutes with
Aptitude, and with a single apt-get-install, when I returned to Synaptic it was open for business.
I've alerted Klaus K.

Need to know more about your mkfs.ext3 experience.
mkisofs works like a charm for me, stacking things away as I do.

First thing I tried was knoppix64; maybe you can write-up a cheat-sheet for us to use on this.

Do a testcd if that's possible with your setup.

Capricorny
07-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Greetings, Capricorny.

First thing I tried was knoppix64; maybe you can write-up a cheat-sheet for us to use on this.

Do a testcd if that's possible with your setup.

Testcd: If ISO md5sum is OK, and there never was a CD anywhere close?
64-bits kernel: It should be properly installed as a .deb package, like 32-bits 3.4.4 is. I won't recommend surgery, even if I may end up doing it myself.

My worst disappointment so far is that the init trouble with squashfs persists. It hangs in the udev hw recognition/init - always on squashfs images (I've tried a few versions, they all behave alike here), but never with cloops. And, strangely, not with squashfs and the somewhat mismatched 3.0.4 kernel. With patience, it solves itself, Knoppix always gets up and running, but it takes a looong time. I'm writing this from squashfs remastering of the CD - installed ca 2.4GB of programs, so KNOPPIX.sq is now ca 1.9GB.

And of course two VMware kernel modules refuse to compile again. I'm pretty sure it's because I paid. Seems that LibreOffice is up for an upgrade, Synaptic tells me so. Somewhat bad timing there.

utu
07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Testcd: If ISO md5sum is OK, and there never was a CD anywhere close?
Yep.
'knoppix testcd' is a good way to check out a LiveUSB, too.
Try it on your virtual whatever.

utu
07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Excerpts from some recent e-mail

.................I presented the following 'news' to Klaus K:

> In regard to the new 703-CD version, I presume you are not surprised to
> know that, in the process of using Knoppix>Install-Components to add flash
> to the browser, in a LiveUSB situation at least, the browser branding
> changes from IceWeasel to IceApe.

.................Klaus K's response was as follows:

I am convinced this is just the wrong thing to happen!

Installing flashplugin-nonfree should NOT remove iceweasel in favour of
iceape. Iceweasel is the current firefox browser, and iceape is
something most people will most likely NOT want to use instead, it's the
reviced but old "all in one" mozilla suite.

I tracked it down to the "-t testing" in the "install additional
software" script. When using "-t unstable" instead, iceweasel does not
get removed.

This has a maybe lucky implication: As soon as the current "unstable"
branch of flashplugin-nonfree hits the "testing" branch, the problem
will (maybe) disappear. For now, I have to warn people to use the manual
method for installing flashplugin-nonfree, if they don't want to lose
iceweasel/firefox:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -t unstable flashplugin-nonfree

Also, for aptitude -t testing instead of apt-get -t testing, does it
right and leaved iceweasel untouched, by disregarding -t testing for
flashplugin-nonfree and installing the unstable package instead.

Capricorny
07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
As for possible mkfs problems, knoppix testcd said that files were fine. The /sbin/udevadm booting problem I mentioned is only relevant for squashfs users, but it didn't go away upgrading from kernel 3.3.7 to 3.4.4, and it occurs with 32- and 64-bits kernels alike.

Otherwise, this seems to run just fine.

Capricorny
07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Small update: DVD version seems to work just fine, no synaptic initial problems.
To check it quickly with Qemu using KVM, check that qemu-kvm is installed, and start qemu (1.1.0) with

sudo qemu -machine accel=kvm KNOPPIX_V7.0.3DVD-2012-06-25-EN.iso -hdb /dev/sdb -m 1024 -boot d &This is also a great way to check modified versions, e.g. will

sudo qemu -machine accel=kvm -hdb /dev/sdb -m 1024 &boot and run a KNOPPIX install on /dev/sdb1 - cloop or squashfs. The hang during squashfs boot can be avoided by issuing <CR>s.

With kvm, Qemu can be a good alternative to VMware for several kinds of use. VM-based remastering may also be done there, but I'm not sure about its eventual merits. :) And this is of course written in 7.0.3DVD running under Qemu 1.1.0.

Capricorny
07-05-2012, 04:06 AM
Another small update: When legacy grub is installed, qemu can actually boot other partitions on the main drive you are running from. (Module kvm-intel may not be loaded automatically.)

sudo modprobe kvm && sudo modprobe kvm-intel
sudo qemu -machine accel=kvm -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -m 1024 &

If legacy grub is installed on /dev/hda, this will give you the grub boot menu, and you can use any alternative, except from the instance you are already running (if you booted that way), and there may be partition mounting conflicts. If you have a USB stick or USB external harddisk, they may also be mounted from the VM in the ordinary way when /dev/sdb is given on the command line. Doing purging and installs in the virtual machine is about as fast as directly, and much simpler and safer wrt testing etc.

There are quite a few packages eligible for upgrade in 7.0.3, but I don't think it is worthwhile (or even safe) to try to upgrade all of them. For me, it has worked well so far picking the possibly important ones (like aptitude and qemu).

Maybe it wasn't smart to install the 64-compatibility libs from unstable this time too, for the stripdeb.sh script crashed for some strange reason. Running the steps to strip libc6 (libc6_2.13-34_i386.deb) manually worked, though.

Capricorny
07-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Maybe it wasn't smart to install the 64-compatibility libs from unstable this time too, for the stripdeb.sh script crashed for some strange reason. Running the steps to strip libc6 (libc6_2.13-34_i386.deb) manually worked, though.

Install of multilibs from stable went quite fine, and I think this is the former unstable version, so it might just work :)

Update on qemu use: Just did a complete 7.0.3 DVD squashfs remastering, running cloop 7.0.3 in qemu using USB3-mounted external harddisk as workspace. Command as in above post, with -hdb /dev/sdb.

Times:

Set up workspace...............Thu Jul 5 13:35:35 UTC 2012
Copy live system...............Thu Jul 5 13:36:04 UTC 2012
Create squashfs...............Thu Jul 5 13:54:40 UTC 2012
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 1 processor
Loopcreate persistent...............Thu Jul 5 14:20:17 UTC 2012
Purge workspace...............Thu Jul 5 14:20:30 UTC 2012
So, doing the whole remastering business in a virtual machine, using external HDD, is perfectly fine, too.

ruymbeke
07-05-2012, 10:31 PM
And of course two VMware kernel modules refuse to compile again. I'm pretty sure it's because I paid. Seems that LibreOffice is up for an upgrade, Synaptic tells me so. Somewhat bad timing there.
Hi Capricorny,
The "VMware Workstation June Preview" tools are working just fine (as 8.0.4 breaks), cf:
http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/workstationtp2012
It is quite typical for the brand new kernels to break something with the VmWare tools
and it usually takes a couple of weeks for VmWare or other users to publish a patch in the forums.
I will post my knx 7.0.3 vm guest (with the tools installed) very soon... (I am almost done)
Cheers,
Gilles

PS: vm now posted in here: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/11589-ISO-boot-from-FAT-NTFS-USB-%28GRUB.exe-grldr-from-boot.ini%29?p=127151&viewfull=1#post127151

Capricorny
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi Capricorny,
The "VMware Workstation June Preview" tools are working just fine (as 8.0.4 breaks), cf:
http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/workstationtp2012
It is quite typical for the brand new kernels to break something with the VmWare tools
and it usually takes a couple of weeks for VmWare or other users to publish a patch in the forums.
I will post my knx 7.0.3 vm guest (with the tools installed) very soon... (I am almost done)
Cheers,
Gilles

PS: vm now posted in here: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/11589-ISO-boot-from-FAT-NTFS-USB-%28GRUB.exe-grldr-from-boot.ini%29?p=127151&viewfull=1#post127151

Yes, it's perfectly possible that Workstation 8.0.3 broke with 3.4.X for a good reason - but it will be for the first time! The breaking of 7.X with kernel 2.39 was because VMware stubbornly stuck to long deprecated switches, kind of built-in killer gene in the code. And VMware didn't care to release a 7.X patch with a solution any interested user could find on the net, rather forcing users to upgrade. The troubles I had with 8.X were well-known, with rather old patches floating aorund. VMware could have fixed it just by picking up one of those patches, like I did myself. But - it MAY be the kernel this time!

And I think we can agree that it works pretty darn well, when it works. Forced version upgrading can be a blessing, too. (Among the involuntarily blessed ;) )

I'm using qemu more and more, though. No adaptation whatsoever necessary for running Knoppix there,

utu
07-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I believe that the three 'Ripples' screensavers cause some 3d problems
which knock my LiveUSB Compiz off-line. This is a nuisance,
but easily reset with Knoppix>(Re-)start 3D.

The command 'less /var/log/Xorg*|grep -i graph'
indicates my that my laptop has Intel i810/GM45 chipset(s).

I'm disabling all three 'Ripples' screen-savers.

Capricorny
07-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Both vmnet and vmblock modules fail to compile with Workstation 8.0.4 and 7.0.3. vmnet is the same old problem, vmblock is due to a recent change in kernel code.

All info and patches needed is found (as usual!) on weltall's blog:
http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2012/04/01/vmware-workstation-8-0-2player-4-0-2-and-7-1-x3-1-x-fix-for-linux-kernel-3-4-0/

Just download and unzip to a suitable directory (I put it under /usr/local/share/patch now, as this looks like routine). Edit script to reflect correct Workstation/Player version. Apply patches to source and you are ready to go - or at least I was :)

utu
07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm disabling all three 'Ripples' screen-savers.
I am trying out the suggestion on the Compiz wiki that a
certain command should be used to start Compiz for some Intel cards.
http://wiki.compiz.org/Troubleshooting#Checking_for_problems

At first glance, this seems to enable the three Ripples screen-savers
for me.

ruymbeke
07-10-2012, 01:00 AM
All info and patches needed is found (as usual!) on weltall's blog:
http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2012/04/01/vmware-workstation-8-0-2player-4-0-2-and-7-1-x3-1-x-fix-for-linux-kernel-3-4-0/
Hi Capricorny,
Yes this patch works great with VMware 8.0.4 and Knoppix 7.0.3.
(I also used previous versions of this patch successfully)
Thanks for posting the link. Best Regards,
Gilles

wspc
07-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Still no out-of-the-box support for touchpad tapping...come on guys!

kl522
07-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Still no out-of-the-box support for touchpad tapping...come on guys!

Touchpad tapping interpreted as clicking is a big time nuisance to me. :)

wspc
07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, it has it's downsides, but I think a better touchpad interface like the one used in Ubuntu and SuSe etc would make Knoppix an even better OS and widen its appeal.
My laptop has a touchpad switch, so I just turn it off to avoid the problems like you have. I have enabled touchpad permanently with scripts on my Knoppix, and just toggle the touchpad switch as required.;)

ruymbeke
07-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Hello,
For some reason I have some problem with NX (nomachine) since Knoppix version 700
where some applications as lxterminal have missing fonts (especially in the app menus)
when using some clients (as the nx web plug-in or nxclient for windows from nomachine).
Openx under Windows always works fine as it includes locally some extra fonts.
Knoppix 671 and 700 are working fine but Knoppix 701, 702 and 703 all have all the same issue.
Enabling xfs (the X font server) does not help. Running the nx client locally is ok.
But even using the nxclient from Knoppix 671 to open a session on Knoppix 703
have the same missing fonts issue. Do someone have any idea what changed between
Knoppix 700 and 701 and/or how to solve this annoying problem ? (as I really would like
to have the web java nxclient and the nomachine nxclient to work from windows machines).
I am using the latest version of nx 3.5.0. Thank you in advance for all good suggestions.
Best Regards,
Gilles

ruymbeke
07-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Hello,
What do I need to do in order to get the same kernel binaries as in the Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD boot folder
when compiling the kernel from the live Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD and using the the sources located in the
/usr/src/linux-source-3.4.4.tar.bz2 file and the .config file from /boot/config-3.4.4 ?
I am using: "make oldconfig; make all; make install; make modules_install"
Do I need to use the virtualbox-guest.tar.bz2 file ? How to use it with the kernel source tree ?

FYI, I am trying to recompile the kernel to get the oprofile.ko kernel module but
the kernel binaries are too different and the module does not load with the original kernel.
So I would need to change all the kernel modules + the kernel which I try to avoid
for obvious reasons. I just like to add the oprofile.ko kernel module to my custom
patch cloop so I can use it when needed.
Best Regards,
Gilles

kl522
07-31-2012, 09:27 AM
Hello,
What do I need to do in order to get the same kernel binaries as in the Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD boot folder
when compiling the kernel from the live Knoppix 7.0.3 DVD and using the the sources located in the
/usr/src/linux-source-3.4.4.tar.bz2 file and the .config file from /boot/config-3.4.4 ?
I am using: "make oldconfig; make all; make install; make modules_install"
Do I need to use the virtualbox-guest.tar.bz2 file ? How to use it with the kernel source tree ?

FYI, I am trying to recompile the kernel to get the oprofile.ko kernel module but
the kernel binaries are too different and the module does not load with the original kernel.
So I would need to change all the kernel modules + the kernel which I try to avoid
for obvious reasons. I just like to add the oprofile.ko kernel module to my custom
patch cloop so I can use it when needed.
Best Regards,
Gilles

I think the kernel modules are "sensitive" to a few factors, gcc compiler version is one of them. Did you by any chance upgraded the gcc compiler version ? Since you only want to get the oprofile.ko, you might want to try to compile it inside a virtual machine, using the original DVD Live CD. In that case, hopefully you retained all the factors could cause the kernel module loader to fail the sanity check.

ruymbeke
07-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Hello,
Thank you very much for your reply.
This is exactly what I did: boot the DVD iso within a virtual machine without any update nor modification.
It worked with some previous Knoppix releases but not 7.0.3. It suppose that Klaus did not compile the
Knoppix kernels from Knoppix, reason for the version mismatch probably created by a different gcc version.
I guess it will help to find out which version of gcc has been used to compile the 703 kernel.
Best Regards,
Gilles

I think the kernel modules are "sensitive" to a few factors, gcc compiler version is one of them. Did you by any chance upgraded the gcc compiler version ? Since you only want to get the oprofile.ko, you might want to try to compile it inside a virtual machine, using the original DVD Live CD. In that case, hopefully you retained all the factors could cause the kernel module loader to fail the sanity check.

kl522
07-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Hello,
Thank you very much for your reply.
This is exactly what I did: boot the DVD iso within a virtual machine without any update nor modification.
It worked with some previous Knoppix releases but not 7.0.3. It suppose that Klaus did not compile the
Knoppix kernels from Knoppix, reason for the version mismatch probably created by a different gcc version.
I guess it will help to find out which version of gcc has been used to compile the 703 kernel.
Best Regards,
Gilles

try
$ cat /proc/version

Yeah likely he compiled the kernel using an older knoppix.

ruymbeke
08-01-2012, 06:38 AM
try: $ cat /proc/version
Yeah likely he compiled the kernel using an older knoppix.

Hi kl522,
Here you go, I remember that Klaus mentioned once that he was using an eepc for development
and yes Knoppix 7.0.3 is using a more recent version of gcc 4.7.1-2 than the one used to compile
the kernel (gcc 4.7.1-1) as you read below. So I need to either downgrade gcc to 4.7.1-1 or use
a previous version of Knoppix which still uses that version of gcc. I would be nice to have installed
on Knoppix the correct version of gcc to recompile the kernel without complication. I guess this is a
suggestion for improvement that Klaus may consider to use on his next release.
Thanks for your help.
Best Regards,
Gilles

root@Knoppix:/# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.4.4 (root@eeepc) (gcc version 4.7.0 (Debian 4.7.1-1) ) #14 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 23 20:07:21 CEST 2012
root@Knoppix:/# gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

kl522
08-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Hi kl522,
Here you go, I remember that Klaus mentioned once that he was using an eepc for development
and yes Knoppix 7.0.3 is using a more recent version of gcc 4.7.1-2 than the one used to compile
the kernel (gcc 4.7.1-1) as you read below. So I need to either downgrade gcc to 4.7.1-1 or use
a previous version of Knoppix which still uses that version of gcc. I would be nice to have installed
on Knoppix the correct version of gcc to recompile the kernel without complication. I guess this is a
suggestion for improvement that Klaus may consider to use on his next release.
Thanks for your help.
Best Regards,
Gilles

root@Knoppix:/# cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.4.4 (root@eeepc) (gcc version 4.7.0 (Debian 4.7.1-1) ) #14 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 23 20:07:21 CEST 2012
root@Knoppix:/# gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

The module file can be edited manually. I have done before, after editing the module using vi, if the length of string remains, the module can be loaded. Or perhaps insmod has a force option to forcefully load a module.

ruymbeke
08-01-2012, 07:25 AM
...So I need to either downgrade gcc to 4.7.1-1 or use a previous version of Knoppix...
Well Knoppix 7.0.2 is using an older version of gcc 4.6.3-7 so I will need to downgrade gcc on Knoppix 7.0.3.
So what is the easiest way to find and reinstall an older version of gcc ?
apt-get -y --reinstall install gcc-4.7=4.7.1 does not work: "E: Version '4.7.1' for 'gcc-4.7' was not found"
Best Regards,
Gilles

kl522
08-01-2012, 08:21 AM
The module file can be edited manually. I have done before, after editing the module using vi, if the length of string remains, the module can be loaded. Or perhaps insmod has a force option to forcefully load a module.

Perhaps can try this :-

# sed -i -e 's/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-1) 4.7.0/g' oprofile.ko

Might be faster than other methods.

ruymbeke
08-01-2012, 09:11 AM
... sed -i -e 's/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-2) 4.7.1/GCC: (Debian 4.7.1-1) 4.7.0/g' oprofile.ko ...
Nice trick but the module still does not load because of Unknown symbols.
I may have to overlay the kernel and all the modules ...

kl522
08-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Too bad then, I think other things are probably changed too. Maybe can still try modprobe -f.

ruymbeke
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Too bad then, I think other things are probably changed too. Maybe can still try modprobe -f.
Hi kl522,
Nope: # depmod; modprobe -f oprofile ==> ERROR: could not insert 'oprofile': Exec format error
Thanks for your help !
Gilles