PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your knoppix CD?

eadz
06-18-2003, 02:32 AM
How did you get your knoppix CD?

Is downloading it a hassle?

rec9140
06-18-2003, 05:05 AM

Retail from Linux CD Distrb..

DL is an issue when you only have 128K ISDN availble and no hope of DSL. Plus the hassle of having to DL, check for errors, etc...... My time is spent better on other projects. Its quicker and easier to just get a CD from a dist. who has a T1+ to DL ISO's.

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 01:20 PM
Download for me is a piece of cake but I am fortunate enough to have cable! The sheer number of mirrors is incredible and using wget or prozilla really speeds things up. You might try a download manger rec9140- they can download the file from several places at one and assemble it into an .iso. Just a thought.

philb
06-21-2003, 01:38 AM
Hi,

I downloaded it - it took about three hours on my 600KB cable link. You can't just copy the .iso image file onto a CD and expect it to work, you have to get your CD writing program to create a CD from the .iso file - for this I had to download an update of Nero Burning ROM or whatever it's called.

Cheers,

Phil

gkp
06-22-2003, 06:17 AM

DL is an issue when you only have 128K ISDN availble and no hope of DSL.

Download.

I'm only running 128K as well, and it takes about 12 hours. I usually start my monster downloads an hour or so before going to bed, and they're done an hour or two after I finish breakfast, etc., in the morning. Long downloads aren't terribly painful as long as you schedule them overnight...

GKP

audioaficionado
06-23-2003, 09:24 AM
I've got a fat pipe so downloading large files isn't a problem for me. I prefer to download from the German sites as they seem faster than the US mirrors.

Doc
06-25-2003, 12:39 AM
I stumbled across Knoppix by accident and downloaded it.... I've got ADSL here in Blighty and downloaded it in 3 hours then burnt it to CD and now converted!! (Well, 99% converted anyways)

Doc
06-26-2003, 02:14 AM
OK I lied, I went down on some 45 year ol blonde thing in Amsterdam and she said 'insert it, then stick it permanent' and that's the truth... honest :p

lanapox
06-26-2003, 07:49 AM
I've got a fat pipe so downloading large files isn't a problem for me. I prefer to download from the German sites as they seem faster than the US mirrors.
You're not alone. The American mirrors were not only slow, but they tend to kick you. Really annoying when you are counting on letting it d/l overnight. :cry:

MorskNorsk
06-26-2003, 12:30 PM
I downloaded and burnt the image, but it was a pain. Ran out of HD space and couldn't figure why the download was stalling. Once I fixed that problem it wasn't bad, but took a while but I was able to resume with gtm. The mirrors (US ones at least) were pretty filled since it was just after 3.2-2003-06-06 came out. A .torrent file for the ISO would have been very nice.

rkebo
07-29-2003, 04:14 AM
Hehehe...OK...I'm spoiled...I downloaded it...I have a 15Mbps ATM connection...so it took....hummmm...it took 30 minutes.........can't wait for that DVD distro.................and I must agree about the American mirrors...I had to try em a few times before I could get a decent speed.....well....a decent speed for me is 500Kbps.....which is rather slow....not bragging...just luv this stuff....

Billy
07-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Here in UK, I got my first Knoppix CD v3.1 free on the cover of PC Utilities magazine, followed by v3.2 CD on PCPlus Aug 2003 magazine. Since then I have played around with it a bit and now download, usually from the German mirrors. Although last night the UK mirror, Ftp.Mirror.Ac.Uk was excellent. I have Blueyonder cable running at around 600kbps, so using DLExpert to multi-thread, it downloads in just over three hours.

I use Fantom CD to decode the iso image, copy the Knoppix directory to hard disk, then run mkfloppy.bat to make a new boot floppy. Then it is just insert floppy, reboot, and I'm running Knoppix. Rebooting is not a problem - Win98 reboots many times a day anyway :wink:

hernan
07-29-2003, 10:27 PM
I'm going to school...and they have a pretty fast connection, it's supposed to be T1, but since the whole district is sharing it...it goes slower than DSL....about 70 kb/s...it took me 3 hours to download it... (I had to leave my computer @ school and pick it up the next day :D)

But it was worth it...Knoppix is really really cool...Usually, i don't join forums, but I had to join this one!!!!

Knoppix = AWESOME!!!!

aay
07-30-2003, 08:24 AM
I'm going to school...and they have a pretty fast connection, it's supposed to be T1, but since the whole district is sharing it...it goes slower than DSL....about 70 kb/s...it took me 3 hours to download it... (I had to leave my computer @ school and pick it up the next day :D)

But it was worth it...Knoppix is really really cool...Usually, i don't join forums, but I had to join this one!!!!

Knoppix = AWESOME!!!!

Glad you are enjoying it. Yes this forum is worth joining. Stick around, learn, and help others. :-)

Frapl
07-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Anyone thought about using BitTorrent?

I would be very nice if some/all mirrors will seed the newest version of Knoppix. It will reduce the needed bandwidth for the mirrors because everyone will help spreading it. ;)

This is the original idea behind BitTorrent to spread large (and legal) data packets.
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Maybe this tracker can be used:
http://www.distributedbandwidth.info

Just my thoughts... ;)

Stephen
07-30-2003, 09:02 AM
Anyone thought about using BitTorrent?

I would be very nice if some/all mirrors will seed the newest version of Knoppix. It will reduce the needed bandwidth for the mirrors because everyone will help spreading it. ;)

This is the original idea behind BitTorrent to spread large (and legal) data packets.
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Maybe this tracker can be used:
http://www.distributedbandwidth.info

Just my thoughts... ;)

There is one here (http://www.boegenielsen.dk/knoppix/).