PDA

View Full Version : Using KNOPPIX 6.7.1 for Backup and Recovery

Js Lee
07-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Hello,

I am very new to Knoppix and was wondering how I would be able to create a Backup of my harddrive through Knoppix 6.7.1. I had obtained this version of Knoppix by downloading an image file to a CD. If possible, I would really appreciate it if someone could post a link or directions on how this might be done.

Thank you!
Js Lee

itman007
07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
sure you can backup your hd into one single compressed file. once you complete this back up you could then remove the drive install a blank drive and restore the file back to this new/blank hard drive, reboot your pc and you would be back up and running just as you were with the original hard drive.
One thing you will need is somewhere to store this file, another drive or an ssh server. This process is known as dd.
Lets say your hard drive is 80 gb and you have another hard drive that is 80gb. You can dd (clone ) drive 1 to drive 2. Drive one being seen as /sda and drive two as /sdb. Issue command dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb This will copy the entire first disk to the second disk.
Lets say you have the same as above but dont want to clone the drives but back up hard drive one to hard drive 2. You can have a single compressed file that contains all of hard drive 1 on hard drive 2. Issue command dd if=/dev/sda | gzip --fast -c | /bin/dd of=/media/sdb/backup.gz To explain this, you are going to duplicate all files on the first hard drive via a program gzip which will build a file backup.gz conating all those files on the second hard drive. Lets say down the road the hard drive one goes bad, you replace with same or greater size hard drive you could then issue command zcat /media/sdb/backup.gz | dd of=/dev/sda which would rebuild hard drive one to the day of the last backup. Enjoy!

Js Lee
07-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I see. Thanks so much for you detailed answer itman007!

Js Lee