PDA

View Full Version : Administrator Password?!

TGWDNGHN
06-18-2003, 03:11 AM
I got my first Linux from a magazine... "No-Install Linux" as they call it...Knoppix KDE 3.1

Its great...really...but when I tried to access some features you need some kind of an "admin password"

Neither the box the CD came in nor the magazine mentioned any "password"

Does anyone know what the (default) password is for the "No install" Knoppix KDE 3.1 :?:

:D THNX

eadz
06-18-2003, 03:27 AM
Did you read the documentation ?

From http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing :

Q: What is the root password?

A: There is none; all passwords are locked by default. You can set it by going Knoppix Menu->Root Shell and typing "passwd", then enterting a root password, also there are several sections you can read dealing with this subject in KNOPPIX/README_Security.txt. You can also type "sudo su" or "sudo -s" in any console window, or use <ctr>-<alt>-F2 to get at the text console with already opened root shell.

P.s what was the name of the magazine? Do they have a website or editor email address?

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 03:28 AM
Does anyone know what the (default) password is for the "No install" Knoppix KDE 3.1 :?:

:D THNX

Yes and so will you after a search or a brief read of the documentation found right here on the site. Try it out- it's some of the best documentation out there.

TGWDNGHN
06-18-2003, 03:33 AM
:shock: I am so dumb... didn't see the Docs page :oops:

The Magazine is PC Utilities Magazine...Issue 34-Spring 2003

Its a European magazine... I found it here in America at Barnes & Noble for only (I think it was) $10 :P

Joseph Schiller
06-18-2003, 03:33 AM
Try clicking on K menu, then Knoppix, then Root Shell, at the prompt type passwd and hit [ENTER]. Type new password, re-type new password, and you should have "root" priviledges. They will disappear when you reboot, so you could try saving configs to a floppy, I believe 3.1 only has a floppy option w/o hdd install. Then next time you boot, type 'knoppix myconf=/mnt/floppy'. You can try CheapBytes, PO Box 2714, Lodi, CA 95241 to get 3.2 $4.99 + $5.00 S&H. It's got mo' options. They came through for me.

Joseph Schiller