PDA

View Full Version : my mind is blown

kamikaze_fish
06-18-2003, 06:06 AM
:shock: ok, I read an article about knoppix last thursday and being an avid windows user my thoughts were "yeah right, like it could do that" All I was referring to was being able to boot to a cd and have a gui. I downloaded it Friday, played with it Saturday and I'm in love. All the things that can be done with this are phenomenal to me. I've even got the guys at work (we're pc/networking techs) reeling their jaws back up also. Of course they haven't played with it as much but I'm just in awe. Able to browse my ntfs5 partitions, the network, hard drives the bios won't see, internet, persistant home directory, and to be able to put my own tools in the cd and remaster it........what more can I say than wow :shock:

w.nelson
06-18-2003, 06:30 AM
That is just the beginning. You can also install it locally to the harddrive knx-hdinstall

And since it is Debian you can use the following to stay up to date.

apt-get update
apt-get -s dist-upgrade --- to see what is being upgraded
apt-get dist-upgrade

This is the easiest way to get Debian installed locally. :P

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 01:09 PM
It is very impressive isn't it? This is exactly the kick-in-the-pants that Linux needed. I too have had several occasions to impress some die-hard wimpdoze users with Knoppix. Especially when an OS that is using half of the system RAM is still faster than M$!! (I just love that part).

kamikaze_fish
06-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Especially when an OS that is using half of the system RAM is still faster than M$!! (I just love that part).

I couldn't agree more. Also one thing I do like about this is how easy it is to use. Being a "wimpdoze" fool I'm slowly converting to linux and this is exactly what I need to start getting comfortable with it. That's why I like the live cd. I'm gonna do a hd install in the near future but for now, this rocks. Another observation I've noticed in the past 6 months....if you're around windows people, the don't welcome linux, they're snooty...but if you go to anything linux, they're the nicest people ever welcoming you with open arms. With that being said, why wouldn't somebody go with Linux? Oh, and lindows in my opinion is an embarassment to the linux community.

Doc
06-25-2003, 12:55 AM
OK newbie question.... how do you know it's using half the system RAM?

Please reply in plain English!

rickenbacherus
06-25-2003, 01:21 AM
OK newbie question.... how do you know it's using half the system RAM?

Please reply in plain English!

Open up a term and enter free

Realize that 'half' is a relative term. On my laptop w/ 160M RAM for example Just running Knoppix with the xfce desktop uses 92M RAM but it's STILL faster than M$ heh-heh

Doc
06-25-2003, 01:35 AM
Thanks for that.