PDA

View Full Version : Printer Setup requires Authentication

Karibu
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi,
I run KnoppixV702 from USB flash disk and I want to setup a printer.

lsusb output:
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03f0:c602 Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart D7100 series when I start
--->Menu --->Preferences --->Printing to add a new printer I get the message:

Priviledges are required to get a list of available devices.
Authentication is required to perform this action.
Password:What is the password?
(It is not the password I entered via
--->Knoppix --->Set password for root
because it is not accepted)

klaus2008
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Greetings Karibu!

I would suggest that you try the following. Search the menu entry "Printing" in the "Preferences" menu and click with the right mouse button. You will see a small menu where you can select "Properties". A window will open named "Application Shortcut". Edit the command string so that it reads "sudo system-config-printer" and click on the OK button. Try again to configure your printer.

Karibu
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Excellent!
Thank you, Klaus, for the immediate help...
Printer added and working...
case closed for me!

Capricorny
07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
For the past few years, I have used the web interface to configure CUPS for printer management. Works fine for me as far as I have tried it out.

http://localhost:631/

My printers have been auto-detected etc.

Karibu
07-29-2012, 07:39 PM
@Capricorny
Thank you for the input.
My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!
:D

Capricorny
07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
@Capricorny
Thank you for the input.
My printer was detected too (see above) and as Knoppix comes with "CUPS" already installed, I didn't
have to do anything more as to slolve the Authentication issue the way Klaus recomended!
:D

Forgive me my ignorance about this, but I haven't needed to do anything with the printers recently outside the web interface for CUPS. Having been through a multitude of printer configuration/administration tools over the years, I'm very glad to have one single place to go. But then there must be something I can't do through that web interface? I haven't run into any authentication issues.