PDA

View Full Version : Software

Zuggy
06-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey all,

I'm new to linux so I got Knoppix. I was wondering if there is a way to install new software and running off the hard drive if not this will still be fun to learn

thnx

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but it is definitely possible to install Knoppix to hdd and yes you can install software. In fact- it's easier than you ever imagined. Read the docs- it's all there.

If you're asking if you can install software to a booted cd the answer is no- it's a read only file system.

If I've misunderstood your question let me know.

Dave_Bechtel
06-18-2003, 03:09 PM
--Here is the Knoppix FAQ:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=70773

--To install to HD, you need to use Partitionmagic or something like it (actually you can use different things like fdisk, but you're new to this so I'm recommending a Windows tool) to repartition the HD so that you have a Swap partition that is at least equal to the amount of memory in your system, and at least a 2300Meg (2.3Gig) partition to install Knoppix/Linux onto.

--Then use ' knx-hdinstall ' to run the installation process. To install more software, use ' apt-cache search ' ("man apt-cache" for info) and ' apt-get install blah ' ("man apt-get" for help.)

Hey all,

I'm new to linux so I got Knoppix. I was wondering if there is a way to install new software and running off the hard drive if not this will still be fun to learn

thnx