PDA

View Full Version : Booting Scripts after loading kernel

Shmuel6
08-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi I was wondering what scripts were used to load the second part of knoppix (after already getting in to the kernel). My problem is i am able to get to the kernel but knoppix for some odd reason cannot mount the ISO file in to the folder "mnt-system". I have managed to mount the required ISO files in to the correct folder but I don't know how to tell the kernel to continue with the booting process. Any insight in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

klaus2008
08-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Which version of Knoppix do you use?

How do you boot the Linux kernel?

Shmuel6
08-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Im using 6.7 CD. I put the ISO on to my USB and adding it to my GRUB loader. I do notice that as soon as the kernel boots it begins to scan my hard disks and usb drive (for the ISO) so it can mount it on to "mnt-system". Unfortunately due to my current configuration I am unable to place the ISO in the root directory (it is in a directory "/ISO"). Would it be possible to ethier re-run the scanning script after i have manully mounted the ISO or order the kernel toi scan the "/ISO" directory on "sdd1" (my USB)?

klaus2008
08-09-2012, 08:50 PM
What happens if you mount the ISO image file as a loopback device at the mount point /mnt-system and press the key combination CTRL D or issue exit in order to terminate the shell?

Knoppix 7 has a new cheatcode 'bootfrom' that helps using an ISO image file as boot medium.

Shmuel6
08-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Okay I have gotten it to work. My mistake was that i did not notice that there was a mounting script that runs before and then looks for the mounted files NOT the ISO. So I made another partion on my USB and copyed over all the compressed files on to my second partion and now I and running KNOPPIX right off my USB. Hope this helps someone. Thanks for your help.

Capricorny
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Shmuel6,
Why did you want to use the ISO from USB? Seems like a total waste of energy to me. If you start from the CD/DVD, eventually run the ISO in a virtual machine or use, as Klaus2008 mentions, the bootfrom cheatcode (at least in Knx7), you can then use the built-in Knoppix-to-flash function. That will get you started correctly running from USB media.