PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.7.0, IBM x3650 M3, memtest boot

nickg
08-09-2012, 08:11 PM
I have 2 identical IBM x3650 M3 models 7945 which have been running RedHat 5.7 x86_64 for several months. I broke them down, added some RAM, mirrored some empty drives for boot/root and booted Knoppix 6.7.0 from CD to check things-out prior to re-installing RedHat. The BIOS reported the RAM and its clock speed as expected, Knoppix comes-up OK, everything looks ready for RH.

I thought I'd boot the "memtest" kernel from the Knoppix CD just to double-check. On both servers memtest reports 23 errors in the range 2040.0MB to 2044.0MB during Test 0 and then hangs the servers. IOW the errors reported are absolutely identical on both, so I'm inclined to think it's a memtest problem, not a real server problem. I can provide the full memtest messages if needed.

Is the Knoppix-supplied memtest maintained separately from Knoppix, or is this the right place to discuss this issue? If it is, any thoughts? Many thanks.....Nick G

Harry Kuhman
08-09-2012, 09:04 PM
The memtest, as far as I know, is memtest86, you should be able to get a fresh copy from http://www.memtest.org/

My first guess was that is was a hardware issue with that model computer. I'm still leaning that way, but a Google search has so far failed to confirm it. You can get various versions of memtest there to see if the problem is limited to one version, or visit their forum (link fairly down low on the page).