PDA

View Full Version : Unable to boot Knoppix 7.0 in HP Pavilion g4-1200TX Notebook PC

Abikash
08-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Hi,

I downloaded the most recent version of knoppix and tried to boot from pendrive.
When I boot it default, a black screen appears and then nothing happens.
When I boot using debug command, i get error message
"sh: can't access tty / job control off".
I tried "knoppix acpi=off nolapic hpet=off nodma" . "knoppix vga=normal" ,"knoppix xmodule=intel" but it doent helped.
I even tried "knoppix nodrm" . It doesn't gave any error but sceen hangs at a point where just cursor blinks and doesnt accept any input
Below are my system hardware configuration
System Model: HP Pavilion g4-1200TX Notebook PC
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.61.01F.32
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz\
Graphics1: Radeon(TM) HD6740M
Graphics2: Intel(R) HD Graphics family
Sound Devices: Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)

Please help me!!! It works wonderfully in my friends' systems, I'm dying to use it.

knp
09-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Mr Abikash
I am a junior member like you.
Booting KOPPIX from pendrive supposes you have INSTALLED knoppix7 on your pendrive.
1- If so I cannot help you
2-If not you have first to INSTALL knoppix7 on your pendrive...
2a-But this also supposes you have a knoppix7_CD/DVD as a tool.
2b-If you have not such a CD/DVD you have first to burn such one from your ".ISO File" that you dowloaded.
3- I suppose your "Pavilion" authorizes "Booting from another device other than "HDD" (Look for abilities of your "BIOS").
4- I am very surprised that you have no reply because this "Forum" is very sympathic and helps very fast
5- I am rarely connected but I shall be soon for your problem.
5- Perhaps you are somewhat an expert however... so perhaps I have not understood your Post.
Greetings

Werner P. Schulz
09-30-2012, 09:02 AM
I tried "knoppix acpi=off nolapic hpet=off nodma" . "knoppix vga=normal" ,"knoppix xmodule=intel" but it doent helped. First of all try
knoppix testcdwith the CD/DVD you used for flash disk installation and with the USB stick.

Abikash
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks a lot KNP and Werner for your replies. I thought I would never get any replies :)

@KNP
I've installed the Knoppix 7 in my pendrive from a tool. I've set the booting priority so that it boots from the pendrive. No issues with that. When the loading of drivers starts, somewhere around DRM and framebuffer, the screen goes black and nothing happens after that.
I used the same pendrive in other PC(sony vaio), it works.
I suspect there is some driver issue, though not sure. I'm very new to linux

@Werner
I tried this command "knoppix testcd". No issues with the flashdrive because the same flashdrive works in the other PC

knp
10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Mr Abikash
"I have installed "Knop7" from a tool" as you said.Perhaps THIS tool does not
work entirely for your machine.
1-As for "Windows" partially booting takes account of "PC_material" (the
respective devices as you said also)
So it may work for one machine and not so good for another one.
Nevertheless I suppose you know much more things than me about "PC".
2- I think it is BETTER to install your "Knop_Flash" FROM the TOOLS GIVEN by the
Inventor Mr KNOPPER.
These tools are included in the "KNOP_CD_DVD" as proposed.
I installed "Knop5" sometimes on a "Fixed_HDD" a "SD_card" and an "USB_HDD" only. Not "Knop7" yet.
All went OK AUTOMATICALLY.
I suppose all this procedure is BETTER WITH "kNOP7"!...a "higher "version"
After the summer holidays you will find a good help like those of the kind "Mr Werner,Mr Utu etc..."
Greetings
knp

Werner P. Schulz
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Graphics1: Radeon(TM) HD6740MPerhaps in your case the recommendation from Klaus Knopper for a Radeon card may also be helpfull for you:
Boot with options knoppix nomodeset nocomposite
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix64-en.html