PDA

View Full Version : Quick Samba

jolimp
06-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Hello,
I'd like to make a salvage of a Windows 2000 on a laptop (windows 2000 doesn't want to start); So I start the laptop with Knoppix and I set up the network with Samba to save all the data on a Windos Workstation. I execute the same thing which is explain in the Quick FAQ Samba. Everything is working except the fact that I can't get into the /mnt. So I can't save my files from Windows. From Knoppix I can see them and excecute them (but I can't copy and paste from Konqueror)...
I really need to know why...
Thank a lot
:roll:

sjborch
06-19-2003, 05:46 AM
Remember, if Windows is on an NTFS partition, it's best not to make that one writeable. If you have a writeable partition upon which you want to save the Windows data, you will have to select the option to mount it read/write as opposed to the default, which is read-only. Right click on the icon for the partition and be sure that read-only is not checked and remount.

If you need access as root, do "sudo passwd" to change the root password to one you know, then you can "su" and change to root.

If you're going to save it over the network, use linneighborhood to mount the network share locally.

jolimp
06-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Yes, but is that normal: I can read it from knoppix and not from the network and it's not only /mnt/hda1 but the whole /mnt/
I thought it could be because of the spaces in some folders names
Thx