PDA

View Full Version : WindowMaker KNOPPIX 7.0.4 (DVD/USB)

osborn
09-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I've installed KNOPPIX 7.0.4 from DVD to a USB flash drive. I'm trying to get WindowMaker working on that.

I've installed the wmaker packages through aptitude, and they appear to install correctly, but booting knoppix desktop=wmaker doesn't work and it appears that the WindowMaker installation is broken in some way. I don't have the error messages on hand but can provide them if needed.

Is there some sort of procedure I should have followed in installing the packages?

klaus2008
09-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I suppose that you installed the package wmaker. I would suggest that you try the following.

Open an LXTerminal and issue
[ ! -e /home/knoppix/GNUstep/Defaults ] && mkdir -p /home/knoppix/GNUstep/Defaults
wmgenmenu > /home/knoppix/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu
sudo leafpad /usr/bin/startwmaker This will create the root menu and open a new editor window. Enter the following lines.
#! /bin/bash
exec /usr/bin/wmaker Save the file and exit leafpad. Issue the commands
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/startwmaker
restartx Select 'wmaker' and restart your session.

If you want to shutdown the system you can issue
sudo shutdown -h now You could also edit the root menu with a text editor in order to add menu items.

osborn
09-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Thank you very much for your assistance. I was able to get WindowMaker working. I ended up reinstalling KNOPPIX onto the flash drive (incidentially the flash-knoppix program doesn't seem to really like overwiting KNOPPIX) I then executed the commands you provided as root. I had to chown the files to knoppix and also I believe create ~/GNUStep/WindowMaker. Restarting with knoppix desktop=wmaker works and I'm posting this from KNOPPIX 7 running WindowMaker. This all seems to be done automatically under Debian, if someone could look into why this isn't the case under KNOPPIX it would be great.