PDA

View Full Version : Driver Upgrade

xr6vn9z
06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
I found a Linux driver for my 3Com 3C450. There's no built-in support for my NIC via the Knoppix CD, can I somehow integrate the drivers into the .iso image via a slipstream? I imagine all the drivers are in the "knoppix"[708.495KB] file but I have no idea how to edit/enhance it.

:?

Dave_Bechtel
06-20-2003, 12:33 PM
--If it's a binary driver, you can ' insmod ' it. If not, then follow the instructions to compile it and then insmod it. (You may have to copy it into /lib/modules/blah somewhere.)

I found a Linux driver for my 3Com 3C450. There's no built-in support for my NIC via the Knoppix CD, can I somehow integrate the drivers into the .iso image via a slipstream? I imagine all the drivers are in the "knoppix"[708.495KB] file but I have no idea how to edit/enhance it.

:?

Kryptik
07-15-2003, 04:13 AM
I too am trying to get a driver to work with knoppix, but it needs to be compiled first. Following the instructions isn't a problem, the problem lies in if you're running off the cd, you can't copy the source to /usr/src. And being a newb, I don't know (and don't want to mess with the shell scripts for compiling. Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.

Dave_Bechtel
07-15-2003, 07:55 AM
--If you have >96MB of RAM or so, you can copy things to /ramdisk to compile them. If the script is hardcoded to look in /usr/src tho, you might be able to get some help with ' SCRIPTNAME -h ' or --h or --help. Otherwise you can just copy the script to a backup file, edit the original and change the hardcoded location.

I too am trying to get a driver to work with knoppix, but it needs to be compiled first. Following the instructions isn't a problem, the problem lies in if you're running off the cd, you can't copy the source to /usr/src. And being a newb, I don't know (and don't want to mess with the shell scripts for compiling. Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.

Kryptik
07-15-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a try :D