PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, Please show compassion!

TripWire
06-19-2003, 10:38 PM
When I try to use commands "knoppix floppyconf" or "knoppix wheelmouse" I get an error "could not run specified command". I am trying to run these commands from Kstart-runcommand. What am i doing wrong?

Also some configuration settings I have tried to change require a root password. I tried "knoppix" but that doesn't work. This is a run from CD version so there is no stored passwords I know of. What is the default password?

Please be patient with me if some or all of these question are answered in the FAQ, I didn't see them and I like human interaction.

adamm
06-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Knoppix wheelmouse and other commands like that need to be entered when the cd first boots up.
When you see the command prompt when the computer first starts up and you see the knoppix logo, enter those commands there
hit f2 as soon as you see the knoppix logo for more related commands
If you want more about these commands, look for the knoppix cheatcodes.

rickenbacherus
06-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Also some configuration settings I have tried to change require a root password. I tried "knoppix" but that doesn't work. This is a run from CD version so there is no stored passwords I know of. What is the default password?

Have a look at the FAQ Using (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixFaq)

Take the time to read through the docs- there really is alot of good info there. I know it can seem a bother but it's worth it.

Dave_Bechtel
06-20-2003, 12:36 PM
--To set a root password from the cd:
Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 (this gets you to a root prompt)

' passwd root '

Alt-F5 should get you back to KDE. The password will not be saved across reboots (unless you do a 'saveconfig' I suppose.)

When I try to use commands "knoppix floppyconf" or "knoppix wheelmouse" I get an error "could not run specified command". I am trying to run these commands from Kstart-runcommand. What am i doing wrong?

Please be patient with me if some or all of these question are answered in the FAQ, I didn't see them and I like human interaction.