PDA

View Full Version : adsl/pppoeconf not included in 7.0.4?

rajibando
12-15-2012, 02:59 AM
I observed the pre-installed packages in Synaptic, and found that pppoeconf is not available. We, the BSNL broadband users of India, need pppoeconf to get access to the internet. Alternatively, wvdial could also be used, but adsl/pppoeconf helps make the user-configuration of the "dynamically assigned IP address" based internet access easier and I am familiar to it.
Any suggestions?
Regards

klaus2008
12-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Greetings, rajibando!

I saw that the NetworkManager applet provides a configuration dialog on the DSL tab if you add a new connection. I do not use pppoe myself, but why is it impossible for you to create a new network connection using that applet? You can find the DSL tab if you right click on the applet and select "Edit connections ...".
Is there any lack of functionality in the NetworkManager packages delivered with Knoppix 7.0.4? In that case you should send a bug report to Klaus Knopper via his website.

rajibando
12-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Greetings, rajibando!
Greetings. Thank you for your quick reply

...I saw that the NetworkManager applet provides a configuration dialog on the DSL tab if you add a new connection...
Yes, it was also present in my earlier debian versions, but as I said, I am familiar with pppoeconf and use it since it hides unnecessary form fields, like here, the DSL tab asks for service form to be filled up, whereas in pppoeconf this field is not present, so is the confusion associated with it:confused:. Maybe this form is optional, but how will the lay users know it?;)

...but why is it impossible for you to create a new network connection using that applet? You can find the DSL tab if you right click on the applet and select "Edit connections ...".

Not impossible, as you can see:), but because of the reasons quoted earlier. But I should not forget to say thanks for your offer for support.