PDA

View Full Version : Save settings while booting from CD?

powerjunkie
12-23-2012, 11:05 PM
My searching skills are obviously weak sauce and for that I'm very sorry.

I have Windows 7 and MUST have Windows in order to run certain programs that will not run under Linux. I am planning on developing a dual boot hard drive within the next 30 to 90 days or so but for now I REALLY REALLY want to do the bulk of my usage under Knoppix but I have got to find a way to save my settings otherwise I'm screwed.

Love Knoppix ... need a way to save all my configs and settings. Windows, meh, it runs programs I MUST have. I WILL dual boot soon, but meanwhile want to boot Knoppix from CD and want to know if there is an easy way to save configs??

powerjunkie
12-24-2012, 05:45 AM
I have more thoughts ...

You know how you jumper hard drives to be master and slave? With today's modern HD's does that still hold true? (I'm behind the times by about 5 years but have a lot of experience before that).

Thanks in advance

Werner P. Schulz
12-24-2012, 08:36 AM
How to "jumper hard drive" isn't a Knoppix specific question. Please use the search function of Google by yourself.

Werner P. Schulz
12-24-2012, 09:44 AM
.. need a way to save all my configs and settings. Please use the search function of the Forum for "Flash disk installation".

powerjunkie
12-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Please use the search function of the Forum for "Flash disk installation".

I would not have known to search for "flash disk installation" without this direction. Thank you for that.
I just searched for that, and I have looked through most of the threads. Since I boot from disk that is not re-writable I am not finding the answer to my question. Since I seem to be a little lame would you be so kind as to point out a specific thread to me that might give the answer I am looking for?

Werner P. Schulz
12-25-2012, 07:49 PM
It's a little hidden:

http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation