PDA

View Full Version : How do I avoid entering cheat codes every time I use Knoppix USB live?

Porteño
02-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi, for more than one month I've been using Knoppix 7.0 DVD persistent on a pendrive, without major problems. But every time I log in I have to type "knoppix keyboard=es xkeyboard=es" because I communicate in English and Spanish, but have a Spanish keyboard. I don't use "lang=es" because I prefer OS messages to be in English. Is there some way to avoid this typing? I enter Knoppix several times per day because my machine is shared with my Windows-speaking family. Thanks!

Werner P. Schulz
02-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Micro Remastering (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering)

Porteño
02-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Micro-Remastering says "Boot options like "adriane" can easily be preset by changing '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'". Please, @Werner, say me what may I do with syslinux.cfg and with the files in /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/ for being able to use my Spanish keyboard?

Werner P. Schulz
02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Just now I've supplemented Micro Remastering (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering)

Porteño
02-09-2013, 05:04 AM
Thanks, Werner, it works well!

jaques1
02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
I've tried to use Micro Remastering to set my keyboard to 'uk' but there are multiple lines relating to the headings 'LABEL knoppix and KERNEL linux' in the the syslinux.cfg file. Is it enough to simply change the Default reference at the start of the file?

Werner P. Schulz
02-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Use only the APPEND line following the line with "LABEL Knoppix".
Is it enough to simply change the Default reference at the start of the file?No, only the value of the first line is important! But Knoppix doesn't take care of the third line; therefore it isn't of no use to change something within the third line.

jaques1
02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for that Werner.

I should mention that I'm using Knoppix 7.0.5 with persistence and an encrypted overlay partition.

The make sure that the "£@# characters are available in their customary positions I had to amend file /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg as follows:

Part1

LABEL knoppix
KERNEL linux
APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=gb keyboard=gb vkeyboard=gb apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime

Part2

replace "lang=nn" with "lang=gb" throughout the file.

Hope this helps any other Brits facing the same problem.

Werner P. Schulz
02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Why do you think, Knoppix will take care of '/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'?

Use '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux,cfg'! Of course, you can do your locale settings throughout all the APPEND lines.

jaques1
02-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Why do you think, Knoppix will take care of '/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg'?

Use '/mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux,cfg'! Of course, you can do your locale settings throughout all the APPEND lines.

I checked out where syslinux.cfg was located using the file system gui and then used the same path in a terminal. However, I'll use your preferred path in future.

Werner P. Schulz
02-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I doesn't thougt of the symlink on the desktop. Your way is alright.