PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 7.0.5 Install To Flash Disk (experimental version)

jaques1
02-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I've installed Knoppix 7.0.5 to a 7.44GB US stick using the quoted experimental version script with the AES encrypted partition option.

On first boot I entered the passphrase, the desktop loaded, and I saved a wireless connection.

After some surfing to find out how to set the keyboard to "UK" I shut down the system to enable a reboot using the appropriate keyboard cheatcodes.

This time the passphrase failed on the first 2 entries but was accepted on the 3rd entry.

I then opened a leafpad file and confirmed that the keyboard was now set to "UK". After getting rid of exploding windows, I rebooted but still had to enter the passphrase 3 times.

The wireless connection had to be reset and the leafpad file was absent.

I rebooted again, but this time I pressed the enter key when asked for the passphrase and on the 3rd attempt the desktop loaded but the wireless connection had to be reset.

Gparted reports the following for the 7.44Gb USB stick:

a. /dev/sdb1 Fat32 Knoppix 901.12MB (used 698.70MB) Flags boot, lba

b. /dev/sdb2 unknown 6.56GB

c. unallocated 1.45MB

Any ideas how to get persistence and encryption would be appreciated.

jaques1
02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
In the absence of any replies to my OP I decided to reformat the 7.44GB USB stick and start over.

The new installation has both persistence and encryption and the CLI 'df' now accords with Figure 8 of KK's March 2013 article in Linux Magazine. Hope this helps other newbies.

One observation: it would make the input of an encryption passphrase during loading much easier if there was a 'show passphrase' facility.