PDA

View Full Version : How to read the Log file of booting sequence when Knoppix can't boot?

rajibando
02-08-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a longstanding problem with Knoppix, which does not boot in my HCL laptop. I have tried versions from 5.0.1 to 7.0.4, but none can boot, either from CD/DVD or from hard drive using grub&cheatcode.
I don't know where it gets stuck.
Sure, a log file can tell.
But how to read that log file when the system can't boot? Can these operations be performed in a virtual machine, and is it then possible to read the log file?
This, I hope, is an interesting question, and I hope, will interest many.

Werner P. Schulz
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
You can try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" from Cannot boot (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Cannot_boot)

rajibando
02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
You can try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" from Cannot boot (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Cannot_boot)

I will try this and get back ASAP! Thank you for your prompt suggestion, as always.

Werner P. Schulz
02-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Note: Each time the message output stops, you can scroll some lines with "Shift PgUp/PgDown"

rajibando
02-12-2013, 03:14 AM
boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
...Each time the message output stops, you can scroll some lines with "Shift PgUp/PgDown"

I should have written exactly where the script stops. Then the time wasted in above messages would have been saved. I am sorry. The script stops at init 5, just after displaying the Tux in Vitruvian pose. init 6 works, and shuts down the system.

Werner P. Schulz
02-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Read "Cannot boot (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Cannot_boot)" first!

Ok, try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" once more. You'll see messages

mounting /mnt-system
/KNOPPIX
/KNOPPIX-DATA
/UNIONFS
symlinks to UNIONFS
Final DEBUG Shell before starting init
At this point type

mv /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf /etc/syslog-knoppix.origto enable logging in '/var/log/'. (Caution: us-keyboard!) Proceed with

exit => Control D => init 5

Your Knoppix doesn't go on; therefore change with "Strg Alt F2" to the terminal and examine the logs at '/var/log/'. Perhaps you can find what is wrong with starting the GUI.

In case of HD Install: Don't forget to rename '/etc/syslog-knoppix.orig' to ' /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf'; otherwise your persistent memory has no more free space soon afterwards.

rajibando
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
examine the logs at '/var/log/'. Which of the log files? there are two, xorg.0.log and pm-powersave.log!
It should not be xorg.0.log, since graphics is displayed alright! The console kit folder has one file that is readable.
The cups folder has 3 files that are readable.
The rest folders are empty.
I will nevertheless read them and get back. Please bear with me. Thanks/

utu
02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Greetings, rajibando.

In Werner's post #6, the mv operation must be done as root to be effective.
Likewise, later you must restore the file as root.
If you issue the mv as knoppix and not as root, nothing happens.

The purpose of the original /etc/syslog-knoppix.conf is to disable most of
/var/log/ including syslog. Werner's post #6 tells us how to re-enable full
/var/log/ capability temporarily.

I expect /var/log/syslog may be what you want.

rajibando
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Dear Mr.Schulz,
I have attached the zipped file for Xorg.0.log.
http://knoppix.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=170&stc=1&d=1360772976
I hope you could find something there that would be of some help.
Maybe Nouveau driver is creating some problem?!
And greetings, Mr.Utu,
There is no file named /var/log/syslog
Thank you.

Werner P. Schulz
02-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Are there not "messages" and "syslog"? Besides I have daemon.log and kern.log.

Werner P. Schulz
02-13-2013, 06:42 PM
In Werner's post #6, the mv operation must be done as root to be effective.Within the final DEBUG shell you are root; type "whoami" to verify it.

rajibando
02-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Are there not "messages" and "syslog"? Besides I have daemon.log and kern.log.
None! What do I do next?

Werner P. Schulz
02-14-2013, 08:41 AM
What's the output from
ls -la /etc/syslog*

rajibando
02-14-2013, 11:09 AM
What's the output from ls -la /etc/syslog*
There are two files: one is what we renamed as .orig and the other being syslog.conf . Do you want me to rename the syslog.conf file like we did for the file syslog-knoppix.conf?

Werner P. Schulz
02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Curious! Why don't you get '/var/log/message' and '/var/log/syslog'?

The script stops at init 5, just after displaying the Tux in Vitruvian pose. Can you see the wallpaper after "Tux in Vitruvian pose" or what happens otherwise?

rajibando
02-14-2013, 12:10 PM
...Can you see the wallpaper after "Tux in Vitruvian pose" or what happens otherwise?
Tux remains in the pose forever! But alt+Ctrl+F2 takes me to the console.

... Curious! Why don't you get '/var/log/message' and '/var/log/syslog'?
I don't know whether booting using cloop makes any difference, but my desktop also doesn't have these message and syslog files.

Werner P. Schulz
02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
.. but my desktop also doesn't have these message and syslog files.
You'll only get these logfiles, if Knoppix cannot find a file called '/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf'.

Werner P. Schulz
02-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I've looked over your Xorg.log.0, but I'm not expert for graphic card problems; perhaps this may help:
Video-detection-wrong-resolution (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29094-Video-detection-wrong-resolution-on-boot-from-dvd?p=123126&viewfull=1#post123126)

rajibando
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
I've looked over your Xorg.log.0 ... this may help:
Video-detection-wrong-resolution (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29094-Video-detection-wrong-resolution-on-boot-from-dvd?p=123126&viewfull=1#post123126)
I didn't believe the video would be the culprit once again. I had cracked this once in Debian Lenny. Since my desktop had no problem with nvidia card with the Knoppix DVD, I did not assume my laptop, which also has an nvidia card, will have a problem with the same DVD.
I know the code for fbdev and vesa, so used it and was booted into the graphical display.
Thanks.
But this setup is bare-minimal and does not have the snazzy effects of compiz fusion plugin.

rajibando
02-15-2013, 07:27 AM
What I find is that the concerned graphics cards' chipsets are different. Perhaps this is why Knoppix can't boot into graphical display.
Maybe future versions will, I hope!

Capricorny
02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Maybe future versions will, I hope!
Well, it seems that you haven't tried the obvious "future version", 7.0.5. That might help. already. But Nvidia on Linux seems to be an eternal source of pain - personally, I have several laptops with dual graphical systems, and I often fall back on the simpler, integrated version.

One last resort is of course to download Nvidia's driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_190.42

But .deb packages could also be available, they are definitey for Ubuntu.

rajibando
02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
... with dual graphical systems...
What do you mean by this? Does your laptop have two cards, or you have two GUI-operating systems installed on a laptop?

Capricorny
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
What do you mean by this? Does your laptop have two cards, or you have two GUI-operating systems installed on a laptop?

Of course the first. I thought this was well known. For example, on an ASUS N53S:

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 540M] (rev a1)
It's an integrated Intel graphics controller plus a GeForce GT 540M card. The setup is very nice for someone, like me, who just wants to run Linux with as little fuzz as possible, and is content with eventually tackling performance problems as they appear. And I always check out the latest versions when there are problems, eventually update driver packages etc. Very, very often, hardware problems have been resolved in the next release.

Which it doesn't seem like you have done.

Since my desktop had no problem with nvidia card with the Knoppix DVD, I did not assume my laptop, which also has an nvidia card, will have a problem with the same DVD.
This kind of reasoning is, IMHO, just to ask for problems when you use Nvidia.

rajibando
02-16-2013, 04:35 PM
I thank you for the information. Actually, this option was earlier available to desktops with add-on cards.
I recall that my circle of ignorance is infinitely larger than my circle of knowledge!
On this note I would like to end this thread.
Thank you once again!