PDA

View Full Version : Samba support on Knoppix

qbektrix
02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
I am currently using FreeNAS to host my file server which is 2 3tb ntfa hard disk. All the computer at home are windows(xp & 7).

I am trying to replace freenas with knoppix. I have used knoppix as live cd and love it.

I am planning to make a persistent knoppix usb drive. But I am facing issue with samba. Can someone pls help me?

Capricorny
02-15-2013, 09:57 AM
First, there is little use in going into eventual issues with samba before you have a stable install of Knoppix. I would personally prefer a Poor Man's Install, copying KNOPPIX directory from USB media to a HDD partition, but running from USB or doing a full HDD install should also work.
Second, to get everything up and running with minimum effort, you MUST start with the DVD ISO, run that in whatever way (creating physical DVD isn't strictly necessary) and use the knoppix to flash function. And of course use the latest version, right now 7.0.5.
Third, when you are running with a well-sized persistent store (using the full 4GB allowed by FAT32 is quite fine), you run Synaptic Package Manager and perform a reload of package information. (Not a full upgrade!) This will allow you to install or upgrade packages swiftly and safely, should you need it.
OK?

THEN you can start looking at Samba.

Capricorny
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
FYI, samba works just fine out of the box for me, DVD version. Just edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to reflect your setup.