PDA

View Full Version : Booting from 16 gig Lexar Jumpdrive USB 3.0

Labtop_215
03-09-2013, 01:31 AM
I'm kind of new, but I've been lurking for a bit, but I decided to register today so that I could ask a few questions. I couldn't quite find the answers I wanted by searching, but then again, my search fu kind of sucks so if USB 3.0 has be covered explicitly, please don't blast me out of the water immediatly like other places on the net, and just link me to the article instead (please).

Otherwise without further ado, here it goes: Basically I'm currently using as 16 GB Kingston USB 2.0 drive to run Knoppix 7.0.5 as a live an persistant operating system. I'm in this nebulous "effectivly kind of new but not really" kind of new to Knoppix and linux in general. I've toyed around with Knoppix off and on for a few years, mostly using it like it's a Windows system and not really messing around with it while I had Windows XP and recently Windows 7 (skipping Vista entirely). I broke my XP box with it because I messed up the Grub loader somehow, and instead of fixing it properly I just replaced the system with a new one.

I still have it though. I'll probably restore it so that I can run old games off of it that don't work the way I wanted them to in Dosbox. I'm just barely comming to terms with using the command line properly and installing software from .tar packages and stuff like that.

I'm fine with using the Kingston USB 2.0 stick with knoppix 7.0.5 on it to come to grips with using linux properly and breaking the system in various different ways so that when I start using it properly, I'm not ruining a perfectly good usb 3.0 stick, or a desktop system instead. However recently, I bought a 16 GB Lexar Jumpdrive with USB 3.0 while it was on sale.

I would like to install Knoppix on that as well, but if I do so I want to know that the usb stick will still be able to boot from a USB 3.0 port as well as a USB 2.0 port so that I can use it like a system to just take around with me and use while I'm out on the road and stuff.

1. I've heard that while linux distro's in general were the first OS's to have usb 3.0 support, they where in general having problems booting from usb 3.0 interfaces and devices. Is this still true of Knoppix 7.0.5? If it is (or even if it isn't) does anybody know if it will still be an issue with Knoppix 7.1?

2. It seems that for whatever reason, even though I have 16 gigs (ish, more like 14.9 for no raisins, shouldn't it be closer to 15.4 or something instead?), I can't get knoppix to encode more than 4 gigs of space for personal data storage, even though the first time I boot up the system, it gives me an option to use up to 10 gigs for personal storage. Is it just because I'm encrypting it too with a password or is this a known limitation for linux on USB drives in general? Also are there work arounds for this so that I can make use of more of the USB drives space that I know it has available? Also, is it easier to use more space on USB drives in Knoppix 7.1?

3. Are there any huge changes between 7.0.5 and 7.1? Also, would it be advisable to wait for Knoppix 7.1 to be used by the mainstream Knoppix community for a while so that show stopper bugs are caught and stomped on before I upgrade, or would that take like half a year or so before that happens? I know this is reaching into the future a bit but is there a kind of pattern where something is released, a bunch of bugs get caught, and then several rounds of patches get released to fix those bugs before development gets started on the next version?

Anways, thank you for taking the time to read this post. I appreciate most feedback that I get. (I would say any, but again, I've been surfing the net long enough to know that isn't really the case, so yea. Uhh... *insert random smiley face here and stuff with your imagination*)

----------------------------------
Please use double "new line" for new paragraph.
wps

Werner P. Schulz
03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
I can't get knoppix to encode more than 4 gigs of space for personal data storage, ..Have a look at Persistent memory (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation#Persistent_memory ).

Also, would it be advisable to wait for Knoppix 7.1 ..No! Knoppix is designed as a Live System and it is always "Beta". It is not designed for upgrading. If you want the new features of a new Knoppix version, install the new version. If you try to upgrade and if you are not a very experienced user, you'll run in trouble.

Labtop_215
03-11-2013, 02:37 AM
Okay thanks for the quick reply.

Does Knoppix currently (either 7.0.5 or 7.1) have any problems booting from USB 3.0 devices or ports?

Werner P. Schulz
03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Have a look at (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/30401-Text-mode-mounting-of-NTFS-volume-causes-XAUTHORITY-error?p=128432&viewfull=1#post128432) and at this (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/30392-Knoppix-7.05-flash-install-drive-not-recognised-by-BIOS?p=128385&viewfull=1#post128385) posting for example.

Labtop_215
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Okay good to know that usb 3.0 works now. Thanks.