PDA

View Full Version : New guy here; having USB boot trouble.

kppxkde
03-09-2013, 08:58 PM
So here's the deal--
downloaded 7.0.4 and 7.0.5 to BigLaptop (has CD/DVD drive). Ran each one live, and used each version to make a bootable USB drive, so I can install Knoppix on smaller laptops.

With EACH version, immediately into the boot process, I get this message:

"Using /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes
/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes Password:_ "

...and, of course, awaits the typing in of a password known only to you, I hope.

Now for the real kicker: when I try to boot BigLaptop from the USB sticks generated on it from the live KNOPPIX CDs, I get the same thing!

Somebody, ANYbody--please help!

Werner P. Schulz
03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
when I try to boot BigLaptop from the USB sticks generated on it from the live KNOPPIX CDs, I get the same thing!We need more details. What's your question?

What do you want to boot? Your Laptop, which OS on your Laptop? Why do you need the USB stick to boot the Laptop? Or do you want to boot your Flash disk installation on the USB stick?

kppxkde
03-10-2013, 01:02 AM
I want to boot (load) KNOPPIX onto two of my laptops, which do NOT have CD/DVD drives. The only option I have, of course, is to use a bootable version of KNOPPIX on a USB 'thumb drive'. Again, I used the live-install version of KNOPPIX to create a bootable copy of itself on a USB stick.

"We need more details. What's your question?"

QUESTION #1: Why, when I try booting KNOPPIX on a laptop do I get the message--

""Using /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes
/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes Password:_ "

QUESTION #2: What password do I need?
QUESTION #3: Am I doing something wrong in the process of trying to make a bootable USB stick--remember that I've now made two USB sticks, each with a different KNOPPIX version, but each of which exhibits this exact same characteristic.

(1) What do you want to boot? (2)Your Laptop, which OS on your Laptop? (3)Why do you need the USB stick to boot the Laptop? (4)Or do you want to boot your Flash disk installation on the USB stick?

1. KNOPPIX live, on three different laptops.
2. Linux MINT on all three laptops. Doesn't matter; see #1.
3. (a) It's much easier to transport than a CD, and much more robust. (b) Most computers today do not have an optical drive.
4. Don't understand the question; please clarify.

Thanks for responding; I hope these answers enable you to provide me with a solution.
Again--many thanks.

Werner P. Schulz
03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I used the live-install version of KNOPPIXWhat do you mean by live-install? Please read Hard drive install (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation) and tell us which version of installation you've used.

If you have a "Flash disk install" with (encrypted or not encrypted) persistent memory, and if you use this as a master for a new Flash disk install, also your already existing persistent memory will be copied to the new installation.

Therefore you have to use the same password for the encrypted persistent memory within your new Flash disk intall.

You can bypass the use of the persistent memory with the cheatcode (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes) "knoppix noimage".

pgradone
05-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Never met any of the quirks you mentioned above with my USB live/persistent install.
Try like me using LiLi + Knoppix DVD (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download).
Since then, I am seriously considering switching from W$ to Linux Knoppix on my home Desktop PC, because it has really proved to be the most robust, reliable and fast distro i know until now, including newest Ubuntu, LinuxMint or Puppy.
Since the beginning of 2013, there is not a single day I am not carrying this awesome USB stick in my pocket, and never regret it. Klaus, keep up the passion!

Porteņo
09-09-2013, 04:56 PM
I share @pgradone feelings about Klaus and his work and now I am using version 7.2 in encrypted pendrive.

My question: Is it safe to use it as a primary OS in a home environment? Is it at least as safe as Ubuntu?
Thanks.

pgradone
09-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Hi Porteņo,

I can only recommend you reading this thread (like Werner P. Schultz already advised me) to weigh the pros and cons of a K HD install: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/306...l=1#post129526
But you have to try and make a decision for yourself.
Now I can give you some of my personal experience, since K and Ubuntu are not similar in scope, so are not really comparable.
I have three systems bootable via grub2 bootloader W$+Ubuntu+K7.2

K:
Fastest and very complete, but still very experimental. Easy to break and can become unstable if you fiddle too much with configs you don't understand (dangerous to upgrade). Its main scope is to be run from USB or removable media. 2 be used to fix other systems. Needs very little resources and runs pretty well on old and lame machines (especially with LXDE desktop). Preferred for geeks or for those who are willing to learn. My wife hates it because she doesn't understand the point of using anything other than W$! (er... not the place to discuss this here I guess)

Ubuntu:
Polished and very well supported, runs best on newest hardware but does not comply well with the spirit of hard-core Linux community. Needs some tweaking to get rid of some bloatware. Unity Desktop interface does not bring consensus, so I installed cairo-dock also to have old-fashioned tree menu, though with a hell of a Mac look. I personally adopted Ubuntu, because my wife likes it most but I don't want her to fiddle with administrator rights, but also because I am a noob :)

Hope it helps

Werner P. Schulz
09-10-2013, 08:25 AM
The link above is corrupt. I think you wanted to refer to this link (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/30580-Synaptic-Package-Manager-kdenlive?highlight=post129526).

pgradone
09-10-2013, 12:06 PM
The link above is corrupt. I think you wanted to refer to this link (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/30580-Synaptic-Package-Manager-kdenlive?highlight=post129526).

Of course Werner :)

Porteņo
09-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi, @pgradone and Werner.
My wife and I share a little exo classmate netbook.
Its HD has W$ and Ubuntu 12.04 installed. When she is at home we use Ubuntu but when she is not I use Encrypted Pendrive Knoppix for reasons of speed and better sound under certain conditions.
My question: Is Encrypted Pendrive Knoppix as safe as Ubuntu?
I did NOT install Knoppix on Hard Drive and I will NOT, because Klaus says that it is not safe. But I am asking about the pendrive version.
Could please someone answer me?
Thanks,
Eduardo.
PS: My wife accepted to use Linus because of the games. I have installed some K-games on Ubuntu.

Werner P. Schulz
09-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Is it safe to use it as a primary OS in a home environment? Is it at least as safe as Ubuntu?No!

Knoppix is designed as a Live System. There is no possibility for updates, especially security updates. Only very experienced users will find a way to do this.

utu
09-13-2013, 05:16 PM
No!

Knoppix is designed as a Live System. There is no possibility for updates, especially security updates. Only very experienced users will find a way to do this.
Greetings, Werner.

I respect your expertise in this matter, but I don't find your answer to be
very informative. It would help those of us less well-educated in IT to
understand in several specific ways just why a Knoppix LiveUSB is not a good
idea as one's main OS.

I, for one, have several Windows editions, but I use a late model Knoppix
LiveUSB most of the time. I have for several years without any known calamity.
In what specific ways am I at risk?

There might be something specific that would make me want to go to all the
trouble of dealing with an installed Linux. Been there, done that. Don't
know specifically why it would be worth my effort in the LiveUSB era.

Please elucidate, and be kind to those of us less well-educated.

Respectfully.

Werner P. Schulz
09-14-2013, 02:41 PM
No security updates == no security

This doesn't depend on using Windows or one of the Linux distributions.

utu
09-14-2013, 03:32 PM
@ Werner

I would expect Klaus K to know if Knoppix, as it it presented
for download, has a security problem that needs attention and
would either correct this or make his community aware of such
a situation.

Any distibution may develop security flaws though improper use.
It might due to remind new users about improper usage or
changes to Knoppix that might create security hazards that
are not inherent in the initial distribution.

Werner P. Schulz
09-16-2013, 08:51 AM
I would expect Klaus K to know if Knoppix, as it it presented
for download, has a security problem that needs attention and
would either correct this or make his community aware of such
a situation.Have a look at security considerations (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Security_considerations).