PDA

View Full Version : persistence on usb key

DOM5556
03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Hello

I've installed last release of Knoppix on a USB key and it works fine, EXCEPT one thing :

Persistence is not working (and maybe not existing)

2 times, at the startup, I've seen some menus appearing on the screen for 5 seconds and dissapear and it seems I've seen about persistence setting (not sure..)

Anyway I'm now unable to find any menu or setting for persistence on usb key

Thanks for your help

Dom

Werner P. Schulz
03-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Tell us the output from
df -h

DOM5556
03-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Tell us the output from
df -h

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER OUTPUT IS
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 20G 3.0G 17G 16% /
/dev/root 20G 3.0G 17G 16% /
tmpfs 2.0G 8.0K 2.0G 1% /tmp
udev 20M 4.0K 20M 1% /dev
tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$

DOM5556
03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Hello

I've installed last release of Knoppix on a USB key and it works fine, EXCEPT one thing :

Persistence is not working (and maybe not existing)

2 times, at the startup, I've seen some menus appearing on the screen for 5 seconds and dissapear and it seems I've seen about persistence setting (not sure..)

Anyway I'm now unable to find any menu or setting for persistence on usb key

Thanks for your help

Dom

Hello Werner

at least I think I'e found what happened..

Ive created the usb key using linux usb creator..

Then, from the pc started with this key, I have launched the knoppix program wich allow to install on a flash disk.

I have inserted another usb key and at the end, the process ask you the size of persistence you want on your key.

I have to check now but I'm sure it works

Thanks again and if this can help another user...

Dominique

Werner P. Schulz
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
At present there is an error within the Wiki and you cannot read what I've changed at Hard drive installation (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation). New version: ........

--------------------

In the meantime the problem with the Wiki has been solved; therefore I've deleted the remaining of my posting at this position.

user89
03-24-2013, 12:22 AM
interesting! I'd like to install Knoppix on a netbook that has 2 small flashdisks on the mother: sda1 (4 Gb) and sdc1 (8 Gb). How is it possible to install the Knoppix (DVD version if possible) on sda1 (should be Fat32?) and an AES file on sdc1? everything was really easier with Knoppix 5... thanks if you have an idea...

user89
03-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Oops missing part: at least, how to install the OS (DVD version) on sdc1 and the AES data on sda1?

Werner P. Schulz
03-24-2013, 09:57 AM
You can do a "HD install" (not "Flash disk Install to HD") to sdc1, mount '/home/' on '/dev/sda1' and encrypt '/home/knoppix/'.

With "Flash disk install" you can only use partitions on the same device.

Hard drive Installation (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation)

user89
03-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I'll try that, thanks!

user89
03-31-2013, 10:00 PM
hmm... I used the 'Knoppix HD install' in the 'KNOPPIX' menu, but never I was asked to create the encrypted persistent file :( how can I do that? I was a Knoppix5 user, everything was automatic... I am lost this time! Something is missing in the Wiki for beginners with Knoppix7 ? PS I have a free sda1 (FAT32) while the OS is on sdb2, but why do I need to do mount /dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 manualy after each reboot? PPS I don't find the help file of the HD installer.

Werner P. Schulz
03-31-2013, 11:28 PM
Please read again the link I told you in posting #8, especially about the difference between "HD install" and "Flash disk Install to HD".

user89
04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks! The trouble is that I don't know how to encrypt home/knoppix, I know how to do a container but I don't know how to "link" it to home/knoppix, either where I have to store this AES container PS I had a trouble in etc/fstab, sdc2 wanted to mount on /, I don't know why ! I fixed that, but sdc2 still doesn't appear anywhere at boot up, I still have to mount it by a command line.

user89
04-01-2013, 09:34 AM
(my goal is to mount the AES container at boot up if possible, otherwise I would try the poor persistent way I described in the tips section of this forum)

Werner P. Schulz
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
I used the 'Knoppix HD install' in the 'KNOPPIX' menu, but never I was asked to create the encrypted persistent fileWith "HD install" you'll get a Debian like installation without persistent memory. And starting with the HD install option of Knoppix you can also see the point "Help". To start your HD installation you need an entry for it within a bootmanager like Grub.

user89
04-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks again! I found a known way to have a persistent memory, I post about it in a new thread if it can help someone else

Capricorny
04-03-2013, 01:55 PM
(my goal is to mount the AES container at boot up if possible, otherwise I would try the poor persistent way I described in the tips section of this forum)

If you create an unencrypted persistent store, you can modify (e.g.) /etc/rc.local to create a special directory and mount an AES-container there at booting. It does not have to be on the same media as KNOPPIX. The simplest way of encryption is of course to have the ordinary persistent store encrypted, but you don't have to restrict yourself to that - you just have to create a persistent store, then you can do all sorts of things at booting time, including variations on your "poor persistence" theme.

Personally, I would be a bit careful to do too many "hard-coded" tweaks on /home and other directories, as I have run into some problems upon remastering. But modifications like mounting an ecrypted volume in a /home/knoppix/ subdirectory ought to be quite OK.