PDA

View Full Version : once again: black screen on boot

meymona
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Monitor: iiyama Widescreen
Graphic: Intel D2xxx/N2xxx onbard
knoppix 7.05

I am trying to start knoppix, but every time after "Starting Framebuffer DRM" I get a black screen. I found several hints about that problem, but nothing word yet.

I tried

knoppix noacpi noacpi nodrm nofb screen=800x600|1280x800|1024x768 xscreen=800x600|1280x800|1024x768 xmodule=intel|nv|vesa vga=normal|vesa vsync=60

knoppix xmodule=fbdev|vesa|ati|fbdev|i810|mga|nv|radeon|sa vage|s3

in every thinkable combination, but nothing worked.

Any suggestions?

Werner P. Schulz
03-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Did you try the cheatcode (http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes)
knoppix testcdand are there no errors?

meymona
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
I tried and the CD seemed to be alright. To be sure, I downloaded it agin, same errors.

but yesterday I tried an "old" version ("knoppix 6.5 x64") and this works perfectly.... I am confused

Harry Kuhman
03-26-2013, 04:36 PM
You downloaded the CD again???? Had you checked the MD5 checksum? That takes a few seconds and is a much more certain test than downloading again. Yes, I have seen bad downloads and even bad downloads a second time, but if the md5 is right then your download is good. I do not think that you have a bad download, but if you would download again rather than doing the very simple and straight-forward md5 test, then I wonder if you are doing other things right, like burning at low speed, or if you have decided to ignore that advice too.

If you burned at low speed then I expect that you do have a situation that needs some combination of the right "cheat codes" at boot. It wouldn't be unheard of for an old version to boot without needing them and a newer version requiring one or more.

meymona
03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Yes, I checked MD5, it was a perfect match. I downloaded a different Version (knoppix DVD <-> knoppix CD), same error. I tried the _not_ working CD/DVD on a different computer: works perfectly. I tried once again knoppix 7.05 CD/DVD on my recent computer: After "Loading Frembuffer | DRM" the screen gets black....

Werner P. Schulz
03-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Change with "Strg Alt F2" to text-terminal and look with
nano /var/log/Xorg.0.logover this log-file. Interesting lines are with (WW) or (EE) for warning or error.

If you want to see the more log files ("messages" and "syslog") you can use this description (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/30462-How-to-read-the-Log-file-of-booting-sequence-when-Knoppix-can-t-boot?p=128753&viewfull=1#post128753).

meymona
04-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Change with "Strg Alt F2" to text-terminal

Hitting "Strg Alt F2" has no effect at all. The screens stays black :(

Werner P. Schulz
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Did you followed the posted link down to the last detail?

MarkBartelt
04-25-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm having a similar (perhaps identical) problem to the one that "meymona" reported. One thing worth noting is that (at least in my case) the screen goes black because the video signal goes away (as evidenced by the LED on the monitor changing from green to amber). This happens part way through the boot sequence. It gets as far as reporting (if my hastily-scribbled notes are correct) "Starting syslog daemon (control 12)" and "Starting hardware detection", and shortly after that the video signal gets cut. There's still a bit of activity on the {CD|DVD} reader (its access light blinks) for a short while (less than a minute), then everything goes quiet, and the system never does turn the video back on.

The system in question is an HP ProLiant SL250 Gen8. For what it's worth, Knoppix 6.0 boots just fine on this system, so it seems to be a v7 (specifically, I'm trying 7.0.5) vs v6 problem. I've been using v6 for eons, and never had a reason to try anything else, except that ... on these SL250 Gen8 systems, v6 has another problem (which I'll report in a separate posting, sometime tomorrow or next week), which is what prompted me to give v7 a try.

Anyway, I expect that this "black screen" problem (specifically, whether it even _is_ a problem) is a hardware-dependent thing. If anybody out there has successfully gotten any v7 variant to run on this particular model of HP system, I'd love to learn the secret (the appropriate "cheat code", or whatever). I'm also curious as to whether meymona's system is the same as the one where v7 won't work for me (or if not, perhaps some very similar model).

Cheers ...

buxcador
05-26-2013, 06:24 PM
I have exact same problem. I installed Knoppix 7.0.4 DVD on a 16 Gb pen drive.

I used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.4
At boot sequence, it ever goes to a black screen, ans a voice say something like booting is finished.

I tried any suggestion it shows by pressing F2/F3, but them all seem ignored, and the system ever goes black screen after Starting Framebuffer DRM message.

For example, if I boot with "Knoppix 2", like any other option, it boots anyway to graphic mode.

Is impossible to switch to a terminal, or kill X with control+alt+backspace

----------------------
Update: I solved it booting with "knoppix nodrm"