PDA

View Full Version : Total newb needs help setting up PPPoe

morpheusxp
06-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Hi guys,I saw Knoppix mentioned on The Screen Savers last night and had to give it a try. I know next to nothing about linux and need some help setting up my internet connection. I have DSL connected to the ethernet port. How do I go about setting up my user name and password so as I can get online. I am using the latest version of Knoppix 3.2 and have a HP with 1.8 Cel and 256M o ram. I have Alltel DSL connected to the ethernet port.

Stephen
06-20-2003, 05:05 PM
There is the DSL/PPPoE Configuration tool. Starting from the Kmenu -> System -> DSL -> DSL/PPPoE Configuration tool.

morpheusxp
06-21-2003, 02:04 PM
When I click on DSL/PPPoe configurator it opens a window and the popup says:
"I found 1 ethernet device: eth0 Are all your interfaces listed above?"
I clicked on yes and it then opened another popup that said:
"Looking for PPPoe access contrentrator on eth0"
After it performed some stuff on the main window the popup said:
"Sorry I scanned 1 interface,but the Access contrentator of your provider did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may also be another running PPPoe process which controls the modem"
I was never given any options to setup my username and password or any such thing.
I know my DSL modem is working cause I'm using it right now in Windows. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to remedy this situation?