PDA

View Full Version : Can we have Vbox OSE 64bit as the default please.

foofoofoo
04-15-2013, 01:44 PM
This is perhaps more appropriately a request rather than a support question but I didn't see a request thread so I'm posting here.

Let's please consider which users are more likely to be virtualization enthusiasts. Will it be those who have machines with less than 4 Gigs of RAM using the 32 bit kernel or will it be those people with more than 4 Gigs of RAM using the 64 bit kernel?

I'm a frugal computer user. But I've had a machine with 16 Gigs of RAM for over six months now that I bought just so I could use with Vbox OSE. After all, what else is a user going to do with that much RAM? There are not a huge number of applications for that much RAM outside of virtualization. Yet, yet. . . . for whatever reason we've got a kernel module shipping with Knoppix that is 32 bit.

I know I'm not the only one that is a bit frustrated with this because over at Oracle they came up with a work around. But it's a total mess of a hack. Instead of that, why can't we just have the shipping kernel modules be 64 bit so that the people who are most likely to be interested in virtualization, those with more than 4 Gigs of system memory, can play with it.

There is a point at which you can say that's too cutting edge and most users aren't there. But 4 Gig memory modules are already on the way out. Many machines are already supporting 32 Gigs and they're just regular low-end boards. Forcing people with that kind of hardware to limit themselves to actually using only 4 Gigs is cruel.

I seriously doubt people with legacy machines are the enthusiastic virtualization users. So let's please stop shipping kernel modules that only work for them.