PDA

View Full Version : NT domain

god
06-20-2003, 05:41 PM
how would one go about logging on to a NT domain at a workplace with knoppix? this is the ONE thing that is stopping me from using it at work...

mmaki
06-20-2003, 07:42 PM
from the knoppix box enter:

mount -t smbfs -o username=winusername //server/share /mnt/yourmntdir

You should then be prompted for your windows password and the share shoud mount at /mnt/yourmntdir.

Do not write to ntfs partitions as it is not well supported. :oops: See below.

adamm
06-20-2003, 09:33 PM
I don't think it matters if you write to an NTFS partition over the network, because this is all handled by NetBios using samba and NT.
It is not advised that you mount YOUR harddrive if it is NTFS and try to write to it. :wink:

god
06-21-2003, 07:38 PM
that wont work fr what i have in mind... I have 12 network mounts in windows( and i will not be the only user), is there any way to get them to mount with the NT Active Directory system?

mmaki
06-22-2003, 04:08 PM
I guess what you are looking for is a way to mount the Windows shares when you boot? If so, try adding this to your /etc/fstab file:

//server/share /mnt/mntpoint smbfs user,auto,username=winusername,password=winuserpas wd 0 0

If that works, make a similar entry for each share you want to mount.

I believe you also need to make sure the mount-destination (/mnt/mntpoint/) is owned by the user who want's to mount.

Good luck!
Mike

god
06-24-2003, 11:50 PM
As i play with this more, i get more and more troubles... I dont know the servernames.... nor the path to the directories... All i have is the domain ilog into... any ideas how to track that info down?

mmaki
06-25-2003, 12:14 AM
Well.....there are a few ways to do this. Try this: From a logged in Windows box. Look at My Computer. Look at the mapped drives. Depending on the Windows OS you are using you should be able to see the share name and the server name in some fasion. In XP you may see for example
"sharename on 'Description (servername)'(F:)"

Note the sharename and servername. Now you need to ping the servername to find the IP address since your KNOPPIX box probably does not know how to resolve the servername. Enter the server name and IP address in your hosts file or use the IP address in your mount -t smbfs command for the servername.

I think that should work. Good Luck. Mike