PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix V7.2.0

Werner P. Schulz
06-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Klaus Knopper has finished the new version and supplied for download from the mirrors.

Werner P. Schulz
06-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Here you can see the differences between Knoppix V7.0.5 and V7.2.0 DVD version

simple comparison (http://www.wp-schulz.de/images/download/knoppix_72/kn-diff_simple)
with version-number (http://www.wp-schulz.de/images/download/knoppix_72/kn-diff_version)

both without listings of the libs.

klaus2008
06-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Hi, Werner!

Why are the packages libc6 and libc6-dev missing on your lists?

Werner P. Schulz
06-25-2013, 09:57 PM
The listings above are without the libs; but here the listings of the libs only

simple comparison (http://www.wp-schulz.de/images/download/knoppix_72/kn-diff_lib-simple)
with version-number (http://www.wp-schulz.de/images/download/knoppix_72/kn-diff_lib-version)

klaus2008
06-27-2013, 04:50 AM
You can read the release notes for Knoppix 7.2.0 / ADRIANE 1.5 at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix720-en.html

patelbhavesh
06-28-2013, 06:01 PM
I have created metalinks for this release .
Ideally download via bittorrent to reduce load on mirrors and in the spirit of sharing :-).
But if you are stuck behind a corporate or a university firewall you dont need to suffer for download speeds.You can download from multiple mirrors simultaneously and the speed limit is limited to your download limits only if you use metalinks for download.This also helps ensure the mirror load is spread across all mirrors.
Pls consider downloading via metalink compliant plugins of firefox like downthemall or aria2 client or any of your other favorite clients.
I have also written up instructions on using aria.
You can download metalink files in both formats , meta4(IETF approved) and older version 3 format from my site below.It also has detailed instructions.
http://bhavesh.freeshell.org/blog/worklog/456321720.html

Also if you run into any issues with my metalinks file pls use this existing forum thread (http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/30602-Downloading-knoppix-with-metalinks) to discuss this and I will fix any issues.

Jeffery Mewtamer
06-29-2013, 12:14 PM
I have downloaded, burned, and booted the new Adriane, and so far I have just two questions: Why was Firefox/Iceweasel removed from the Graphical Programs menu, and how can I manually restore its menu entry? Considering that Iceweasel is the only Graphical Application I still use, launching a full x session seems like overkill, not to mention that I find the rest of the desktop just gets in the way. I might be alone in this opinion, but it seems a siginificant downgrade in useability.

otropogo
06-30-2013, 07:07 PM
Corrupted copy of K7.2 en DVD on kernel.org?

I set Seamonkey to download the 3.8 GB (non-boot) version of 7.2 DVD en from kernel.org via http last night, and it seemed to be downloading steadily as I went to bed. But when I checked this morning, the browser download manager showed the download as finished, and the downloaded file showed as a complete iso in the download directory on my hard drive, but both browser and file manager showed the iso's size as only 1.5GB.

I then ran md5sum on the iso, and it returns the sum:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN2.iso

NOT the md5sum for the file listed on kernel.org:

836d36f87624c930a8ee375ca5492d69 *KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN.iso

Since Seamonkey thinks the file downloaded successfully, there's no way to resume the download, IF it was somehow botched. The logical conclusion seems to be that the file is corrupted or misnamed on kernel org.

I'd like to avoid having this happen again, so can anyone direct me to a mirror site where they know the file is available and passes the md5sum test?

patelbhavesh
07-01-2013, 06:56 AM

I set Seamonkey to download the 3.8 GB (non-boot) version of 7.2 DVD en from kernel.org via http last night, and it seemed to be downloading steadily as I went to bed. But when I checked this morning, the browser download manager showed the download as finished, and the downloaded file showed as a complete iso in the download directory on my hard drive, but both browser and file manager showed the iso's size as only 1.5GB.

I then ran md5sum on the iso, and it returns the sum:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN2.iso

NOT the md5sum for the file listed on kernel.org:

836d36f87624c930a8ee375ca5492d69 *KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN.iso

Since Seamonkey thinks the file downloaded successfully, there's no way to resume the download, IF it was somehow botched. The logical conclusion seems to be that the file is corrupted or misnamed on kernel org.

I'd like to avoid having this happen again, so can anyone direct me to a mirror site where they know the file is available and passes the md5sum test?
I have learned the hard way in the past is that downloading huge files via browsers is not fool proof.
So in this particular situation I can recommend that you run the following command in a windows command prompt or on Unix shell
wget ---complete <url from kernel.org of the iso>

wget is available on most OS'es including windows.
Before you discard your 1.5gb file i highly recommend trying the above command as it has worked for me in the past to resume a botched file download via browser.

it is unlikely that the file on kernel.org is corrupted as I checked the file size via curl command.But i cant be 100% sure though as I don't have the file yet myself.

otropogo
07-01-2013, 05:11 PM
I have learned the hard way in the past is that downloading huge files via browsers is not fool proof.
So in this particular situation I can recommend that you run the following command in a windows command prompt or on Unix shell
wget ---complete <url from kernel.org of the iso>

wget is available on most OS'es including windows.
Before you discard your 1.5gb file i highly recommend trying the above command as it has worked for me in the past to resume a botched file download via browser.

it is unlikely that the file on kernel.org is corrupted as I checked the file size via curl command.But i cant be 100% sure though as I don't have the file yet myself.

Thanks for your reply. My own preference has always been to download with a download manager. But for some time now I've been unable to do this with Knoppix downloads.

I did try with kernel org, but ran into two problems

1. when I open the download url with the browser, the navigation bar lists only "knoppix.org".

2. when I go looking for the download by navigating the directories on kernel org, I'm unable to log in for access.

I'm not familiar with either the wget or the curl command, but I am familiar with incomplete downloads, and they typically appear with a text icon and the extension .part in my file manager. The 1.5GB file I described had the .iso extension and the proper icon.

Furthermore, when Seamonkey's download is interrupted, it typically resumes the download the very next time the browser is online. I tested this yesterday, and it works as expected. So, with all due respect for your curl test, I still think there's reason to believe that the file is mislabeled or corrupted on kernel.org, and would rather not tie up my bandwidth and use up my limited monthly download quota on a second attempt without some assurance that I'm downloading a good copy.

otropogo
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi Werner,

Would you please read my previous post on the problematical download from kernel.org and direct me to a mirror known to have a good copy (ie. downloaded iso successfully burned and tested) of the 7.2 en DVD iso?

thanks

Werner P. Schulz
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I did my download and md5sum without errors from
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/
but DE DVD ISO.

"ftp.uni-kl.de" is the server from "Technische Universität Kaiserslautern" where also KK teaches.

otropogo
07-01-2013, 11:39 PM
I did my download and md5sum without errors from
ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/
but DE DVD ISO.

"ftp.uni-kl.de" is the server from "Technische Universität Kaiserslautern" where also KK teaches.

Thanks Werner. I should probably have waited to hear from someone who's downloaded the en version successfully, but have gone ahead and started the download. I should know in about 90 minutes whether I've got the same problem as at kernel.org. I've looked at the two bootonly downloads' md5sums, thinking they might have been mixed up, but neither one matches the sum I get from my download.

otropogo
07-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Having lots of fun today. After half a gigabyte of K7.2 was downloaded from uni-kl, Seamonkey's download manager suddenly showed the download as "cancelled" (certainly not by me). And when I tried to resume the download, it started from scratch, with the same ETA as before, almost three hours. So I think I've wasted enough time for now.

And when I finished editing my previous post to reflect this, that was refused too, because of the administrator's time limit of 10 minutes for post edits (suggestion to admin - maybe you could tell the poster this when he begins to edit his message, rather than waiting until he's ready to save it).

otropogo
07-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Oh, there is one other interesting detail. The newly "cancelled" download also shows as a complete .iso file, with the proper icon, just like the one from kernel.org. As I mentioned previously, my experience up to now is that an incomplete download is given the .part extension and a text icon. But maybe linux or Seamonkey has recently been "improved" to create this misleading effect...

Capricorny
07-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Oh, there is one other interesting detail. The newly "cancelled" download also shows as a complete .iso file, with the proper icon, just like the one from kernel.org. As I mentioned previously, my experience up to now is that an incomplete download is given the .part extension and a text icon. But maybe linux or Seamonkey has recently been "improved" to create this misleading effect...

Why do you insist on sticking to Seamonkey when there are several other alternatives, including command line tools?

otropogo
07-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Why do you insist on sticking to Seamonkey when there are several other alternatives, including command line tools?

Probably because I'm familiar enough with Seamonkey from years of using Puppy Linux that I can usually detect when something has changed in the security settings and and other functions, such as control of the mouse wheel, and figure out how to reconfigure them.

I run Firefox occasionally, mostly to use plug ins not available to Seamonkey, like download helper. But I don't feel in control or safe with firefox. With Opera and Chrome it's even worse... Last time I used Opera, I had to get major help to set up a tool to use Google translate on web pages. And a few months later, I'd completely forgotten how to access it again.

So all in all, I'd say the reason is that I'm relatively comfortable with it, as I used to be with IE5.

otropogo
07-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Knoppix 7.2 EN download update

Last night I managed to download the complete iso of Knoppix 7.2 en via http from uni-kl using Firefox in Puppy Linux. The iso passed the md5sum test, the DVD I burned passed the testcd test, and I was able to do an "i" usbflash install to an 8GB SDHC card, which booted without issues, and seems to run ok.

So it may be that my previous two failed attempts to download the iso via http from kernel.org and via ftp from uni-kl had something to do with the browser I used, Seamonkey 2.17.1.

I have run into one strange problem already with Knoppix 7.2 - when I try to open the "software center" app to download packages, nothing happens, I have to use Synaptic. In last year's version, it was the other way around - I couldn't get Synatpic to run, but Software Center did the job.

ruymbeke
07-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Hello,
If you are interested in trying Knoppix 7.2.0 within a VMware virtual machine guest
you may consider using using this vm which allows Knoppix to recognize the graphical hardware
acceleration and 3D rendering provided by VMware and use the compiz 3D effects (as the cube):
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/11589-ISO-boot-from-FAT-NTFS-USB-%28GRUB.exe-grldr-from-boot.ini%29?p=129607#post129607
Please provide some feedback.
Best Regards,
Gilles

otropogo
07-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Hello,
If you are interested in trying Knoppix 7.2.0 within a VMware virtual machine guest
you may consider using using this vm which allows Knoppix to recognize the graphical hardware
acceleration and 3D rendering provided by VMware and use the compiz 3D effects (as the cube):
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/11589-ISO-boot-from-FAT-NTFS-USB-%28GRUB.exe-grldr-from-boot.ini%29?p=129607#post129607
Please provide some feedback.
Best Regards,
Gilles

thanks. I am interested, but question my competence or the adequacy of my hardware. My usual machine is a ten year old pentium 4 with 2GB of 233MHz RAM and a chip video controller. Plus I don't feel I really understand the concept of a virtual machine, and especially it's limitations, adequately.

However, I've passed your suggestion and the series of links on to a friend who has played with both Knoppix and VM quite a bit, in the hope he'll be interested enough by it to download Knoppix 7.2 (he's asked me to give it a report card, and he should know better by now).

I'm mostly stuck on simple little problems, like figuring out how I can run virus scans on my downloads, websaves, and mail attachments under Linux, so that they don't infect my Windows systems. This may well be the one reason why I'm still running a three year old version of Puppy - Lucid 5.28 "lupuplus"- it supports X-fprot, unlike Knoppix, apparently.

Every year I try to figure out how to use ClamAV in Knoppix. Maybe this year I'll succeed, but I'm not very hopeful. If I do, maybe I'll go on to try to figure out why no one in the Debian camp has made similar update and real-time gui for Fprot or some other freeware AV app for linux.

otropogo
07-06-2013, 07:11 AM
... I'm mostly stuck on simple little problems, like figuring out how I can run virus scans on my downloads, websaves, and mail attachments under Linux, so that they don't infect my Windows systems. This may well be the one reason why I'm still running a three year old version of Puppy - Lucid 5.28 &quot;lupuplus&quot;- it supports X-fprot, unlike Knoppix, apparently.

Every year I try to figure out how to use ClamAV in Knoppix. Maybe this year I'll succeed, but I'm not very hopeful. If I do, maybe I'll go on to try to figure out why no one in the Debian camp has made similar update and real-time gui for Fprot or some other freeware AV app for linux.
Update: For the first time, I've been able to actually run ClamTK. The GUI works reasonably well, but there are some hitches. 1. I have no idea how to access the ClamAV documentation I installed. 2. the Gui tells me that there's a new version. I've checked the option to check for updates, and I've gone to the ClamAV site with Iceweasel to see that there is indeed a new GUI, v. 4.45 to my 4.41. But I have no idea how to install it. Apparently, Synaptic only offers 4.41. 3. the Gui also tells me that the signature database is current. Should I believe that? There's no date stamp, and I don't see any option to check this manually. With x-fprot, I just click on &quot;update&quot;, and the app goes online, without a browser, checks for an update, and downloads and installs it if there's a new one. So -still a bit klunky, compared to x-fprot, and with fewer scan options. But much better than nothing. OTOH, Software Center still does nothing.

otropogo
07-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Strangely, Knoppix 7.2 en displays a time that is 4 hours behind the actual clock setting of my PC. I've looked through the apps menus several times, and couldn't find anything that seemed to address clock settings. How can I correct the clock?

I've also been unable to download signature updates for ClamTK, although the scheduling window shows the updates as being scheduled. Both the gui version and the signature are flagged with a red dot and the words ""new version available", and "outdated", but there seems to be no way to fix the problem. No manual update option is shown for either, no online help files are available, and I have no idea where to find the ClamAV documentation I installed.

Werner P. Schulz
07-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Strangely, Knoppix 7.2 en displays a time that is 4 hours behind the actual clock setting of my PC.You can use the cheatcode "tz=..". Have a look at '/usr/share/zoneinfo' for possible entries. Knoppix 7.2.0 no longer use "tz=localtime" as default value.

otropogo
07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
You can use the cheatcode &quot;tz=..&quot;. Have a look at '/usr/share/zoneinfo' for possible entries. Knoppix 7.2.0 no longer use &quot;tz=localtime&quot; as default value.

Thanks Werner. I'd just logged on to report that I've found the Date and Time module tab in the Preferences menu. It showed New York as the current time zone setting, so this is presumably the default for the EN version, and presumably there's no adjustment for Daylight Savings Time, which would explain the 4 hour difference (I'm on Mountain DST). Any ideas why: 1. nothing happens when I click on Software Center 2. ClamTK doesn't update as scheduled or how to: 3. access the installed ClamAV docs 4. update the ClamTK gui to 4.4.5 (not shown on synaptic, but available for download at the ClamAV site) 5. manually update the ClamTK sigs?

itman007
08-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Can anyone confirm that 7.2 DVD terminal server works. Booting from the DVD and starting term serv, no clients will boot. All hang at probing for network.

itman007
08-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Could it be Broadcom issue as described here http://linuxgazette.net/176/krishnaprasad.html

otropogo
10-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Have just booted my USBflash install of Knoppix 7.2 for the first time in 64x mode, and discovered that all the menus are in German, although I burned the en version.

Although this is somewhat amusing and probably good for honing German computer terminology, it can be annoying and has possibilities for unpleasant misunderstandings.

Is there a way to change the setting in my persistent image so that the menus appear in English?

Werner P. Schulz
10-07-2013, 09:11 PM
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering

otropogo
10-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Thanks Werner

Harry Kuhman
10-08-2013, 10:36 PM

I set Seamonkey to download the 3.8 GB ....
I'd like to avoid having this happen again, ....

Before the Torrents were available I had about 50% bad downloads of the Knoppix ISO when using a browser. Including my very first Knoppix download. I tracked down that problem and it is an issue with some Linux based servers treating the file as a text file rather than a binary file and doing a translation on it, but that doesn't seem to be the problem here. But the important thing is that once the torrents started to become available, I never had to download with a browser again. I've had error free downloads since. My downloads are much much faster. And I've even been able to help people repair flawed downloads by restarting the torrent client and let it quickly repair the download by just bringing down a few needed parts (the poor guy had stopped his download as soon as the client reported 100% rather then letting the download finish cleanly, otherwise he would not have had a problem either).

BitTorrent clients are not only for illegal things, they can be quite useful for valid downloads such as Knoppix too. It should take only a few minutes to learn to set up a torrent client, far less time than time lost when you have to deal with a bad or aborted browser download. You get that time back with a much faster download. And torrent downloads can be stopped and restarted at any time. I never use "download managers", those things are more trouble than they are worth and often bring in unwelcome problems hidden in the applications. For best performance with a torrent client it can be helpful to forward an incoming port range on your router. (You are using a router, aren't you? Not using one is dangerous, nearly insane.) If you're unclear about what forwarding ports means than that will cost you a few more minutes to research and learn, but it will make the downloads go even faster and it will enhance your understanding of Internet protocols, and will be good knowledge for far more than just this.

To avoid problems like this, I strongly suggest that you use a torrent client and download Knoppix with the posted torrent links rather than taking it from any mirror server. Torrents add extra error checking (so much so that I don't even bother to do the MD5 check any more, although in all honesty it is still a good quick check to avoid making a coaster). If you do get a bad block of a file they will detect it and repair it automagically. You can shut down the download at any time, and when restarting it will check what you have and only download missing parts or parts that need repaired. You can ever pull off some tricks moving around files and use a torrent client to repair a bad download that originally came in through a browser, but it is far better to just use the torrent client for Knoppix downloads in the first place. Torerents avoid bottlenecks from a single source, they get you parts from all over the globe, so you can be downloading the files much faster than from a single source. back in the days of the Knoppix CD I used to have to search several servers before I could even find one where the estimated download time was less than 24 hours, my first Knoppix CD torrent download took me about 2 hours. And speeds have greatly improved since then.

Sure, some of you have not used a torrent in the past and it is slightly outside your "comfort level". Wasn't Knoppix or Linux new to you at some point too? Don't cripple yourself by sticking with a bad tool that doesn't do the job well when there are good tools available and people will to help you learn how to use them. Or, if you want to stay with the "I just want to download with my browser" mentality, then maybe Windows is a better choice for you.

By the way, typically when I see an error that talks about a file as large as a DVD ISO downloading but then showing up as a file smaller than 2 gig. it usually turns out to be a file size problem with either the application of the file system. Modern torrent clients have no problem with crossing this size barrier. So as long as you are not downloading to a file system that can't deal with files larger than 2 gig then just try using a torrent client and see if it isn't a lot better.

The Knoppix torrent tracker is here:
http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
and the torrents include all of the extra handy files like the md5 check sum and text documents, no need to track them down later.