PDA

View Full Version : How to install HP_LaserJet_1020 Printer in Knoppix?

gss
07-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Hallo,
I have the above mentioned printer I used to use in Win2000 and Debian Lenny. After my machine crashed I've got another one (second hand) and I've installed Knoppix 7.0 to HD everything is OK I can do a lot of things but printing is impossible!!!
At the very moment I have the Printer which is "seen" at the system as

HP_LaserJet_1020_USB_FN2J3XV_HPLIP HP LaserJet 1020 Local Printer HP LaserJet 1020 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended) Idle

and nothing more happens. No single word is printed however "Jobs" are "sent to printer" and they are "finished".

I've searched FAQ at knoppix forum with keywords "Installing HP LaserJet 1020" and the answer was "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I've tried to Install the printer in very different ways and the last attempt was as INSTALL file in "foo2zjs" driver I've downloaded from foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz says,
there are procedures for different distros and I took "Debian Notes" as one most alike to Knoppix

DEBIAN NOTES
------------
Install build-essential, tix, foomatic-filters, groff, cupsys, dc FIRST:
$ su
# apt-get install build-essential tix foomatic-filters groff dc
# apt-get install cups # For all others
OR
# apt-get install cupsys # For lenny and earlier

$ wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
$ tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz
$ cd foo2zjs
$ make
$ ./getweb 1020
OR other printer
$ su
# make install install-hotplug cups

$ firefox http://localhost:631

I have tried to follow above mentioned procedure and :-(

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ su
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# apt-get install build-essential tix foomatic-filters groff dc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package tix is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'tix' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package dc
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#

so there is no "dc package" in my system and without it the procedure from foo2zjs will not work.

I must admit that searching Knoppix forum gives no result: "The following words "dc" are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:"
and searching "dc packages" gave no usable results for it search for "Keyword(s): Package"

So can anyone say whether it is possible to use HP Laser Jet 1020 with Knoppix 7.0 and if YES please specify the procedure how to get it. Or I should buy another printer :-(

Every Help is Appreciated

Werner P. Schulz
07-09-2013, 07:48 AM
I would follow to manufacturer website
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

gss
07-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Thank you Werner ,
I've checked it before posting on forum.
The problem is Knoppix is not at the list of supported distros. I've took Debian 7 and the answer was:

You have selected Debian 7.0 using the HP LaserJet 1020 Printer.
Debian 7.0 supplies HPLIP 3.12.6 and it does support your printer.
As the version of HPLIP supplied with your operating system supports your printer, you may continue to use that version of HPLIP.

You may now optionally download the latest version of HPLIP to get access to new features and bug fixes.

I decided to reinstal HPLIP (or install it again) and after downloading the
hplip-3.13.6.run file I start the install procedure and
error: debian-testing version is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using debian-7.0 version packages.
anyhow I've tried to continue automatic installation

Warning: There are 4 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python-devel (Python devel - Python development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-image (CUPS image - CUPS image development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)

INSTALL MISSING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
warning: There are 3 missing OPTIONAL dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'network': libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'fax': dbus (DBus - Message bus system)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency for option 'scan': sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)

for my internet connection is rather slow (I use GSM network) so it takes some time to install what is needed.
and at the end I've got :

RUNNING PRE-PACKAGE COMMANDS
----------------------------
su -c "dpkg --configure -a" (Pre-depend step 1)
su -c "apt-get install -f" (Pre-depend step 2)
su -c "apt-get update" (Pre-depend step 3)
warning: An error occurred running 'su -c "apt-get install --yes cupsys-bsd"'
su -c "apt-get install --yes cupsys-bsd" (Pre-depend step 4)
OK

DEPENDENCY AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION
----------------------------------
Running 'su -c "apt-get install --force-yes -y python-dev"'
Please wait, this may take several minutes...

error: Aborted.

I tried another time and
the installation note was:
"NOTE: Disable the CD Sources in your apt sources.list or the install will fail and hang."
this is why I've failed the first time.

And sorry for my ignorance but I don't know how to disable CD Source in apt , I'm not very familiar with console .

Anyhow I suspect that the message
There are 4 missing REQUIRED dependencies. explains why I can not to force my printer to work in Knoppix.

Speaking frankly now I'm lost. I have no idea what to do now
I hoped to get some "how to" for there must be someone for whom this printer works
thanks in advance for any suggestions

Werner P. Schulz
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Knoppix 7.0 is an old version and isn't like Debian 7, it's more like Debian 6. But Knoppix is not Debian (http://knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it#Knoppix_is_not_Deb ian)

Try: select Debian 6.0 using the HP LaserJet 1020 Printer

Alternative use the new version of Knoppix: 7.2.0

gss
07-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Thank you for your explanations Werner. As I said before the problem is Knoppix is not at the list of supported distributions so I've took Debian 7, for as far as I know it is Debian based distribution not Red Hat based. Ok I was fooled by the version number (7.0) .
Anyhow I consider upgrading to Knoppix 7.2.0. Hope this will help.

gss
07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Welcome, I've upgraded the system (it took some 8 hours) and then I run as root
hp-setup setup found my printer and suggested downloading driver from http://hplipopensource.com installing the driver didn't help so I run
hp-check -t the proposed option was
hp-check can be run in three modes:
1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling the HPLIP supplied tarball
(.tar.gz or .run) to determine if the proper dependencies are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.
2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro supplied package (.deb,
.rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball has the proper dependencies installed to
successfully run.
3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode will check both of the
above cases (both compile- and run-time dependencies). Ihave choosen --both.
It comes out there was some mistakes in groups
MISSING ['lp', 'lpadmin'] and lack of some libraries and missing dependencies

Missing Required Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libjpeg62-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsnmp-dev' package is missing/incompatible

after correcting all this mess I was asked to reboot system to take effect of user group.
Finally I could print something :-)
Anyhow each start of the system needs to go to Printer Configuration from Menu -> Preferences and to choose my HP LaserJet 1200 printer. If no than "Generic Printer" is chosen and no printing at all.
So I think the best way is to try (as root)
hp-setup and then
hp-check -t and it could help to force this printer to work ;-)
thank you for the suggestions and help
gss

Werner P. Schulz
07-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Anyhow each start of the system needs to go to Printer Configuration from Menu -> Preferences and to choose my HP LaserJet 1200 printer.The option there "Printer => Set as default" doesn't work?

gss
07-12-2013, 08:21 AM
No. It doesn't. As I go to Preferences -> Printer Configuration then (on the CUPS page) Administration -> Manage Printers then choose my printer and (on printer page) I press Administration button and from the drop-down menu I choose "Set As Server Defaults" everything is fine for the current session. After restarting I have to repeat the procedure.
Anyhow the success is the printer is usable, and the firmware is loaded at the system booting (the printer must be "on"). That is great!
It would be nice to set it as Default Printer, but... maybe later on I'll try to do it.

Werner P. Schulz
07-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Not "Knoppix => Printer Configuration"
but "Preferences => Printing => Printer => Set as default"

gss
07-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Ok. But my printer is the only one (Printing-localhost) and the option "Set As Default" is inactive (gray not black). I can add some screenshots but I don'y know how to add images from my computer not from the net.

Werner P. Schulz
07-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Did you have selected the button "+Add"?

After installing your Printer do right-mouse-click to the printer symbol and mark - if not already done - "Enabled" and "Shared"

gss
07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
The printer is marked Enabled and Shared.

Werner P. Schulz
07-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Try once more "Preferences => Printing => [+Add]"
install the Laserprinter again, select this second installed printer and set it as default, shared and enabled.

gss
07-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks for your help Werner. I've performed some tests and:
after rebooting system there is no possibility to print for CUPS server is not started.
Even if I try to go to: Menu -> Preferences -> Printing nothing can be done for the answer is: printing is not available,
As I try to connect to localhost the answer is: can't connect to localhost
After Menu -> Preferences -> Printer configuration CUPS is invoked, started and then I can close internet browser
and go to: Menu -> Preferences -> Printing and then I can see my printer and with properties Enabled ; Shared.
Printing is possible.
I presume CUPS demon is not started at the starting of the system and this is the problem.
It's OK I don't need to print every time i start the computer but I need to know how to put printer in action
I have to check one more situation - the printer is switched on after the system boot. I need to know whether
the firmware is loaded just after switching the printer on (should be recognized by hot-plug) or some action has to be taken.
You know its the question of economy I do not need the printer be on all the time. Anyhow I use it at home and don't print a lot.
(I bought Laser printer when my children were at school and then I was very useful now I print something from time to time)

Werner P. Schulz
07-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Please post the content of '/etc/cups/printers.conf'

gss
07-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Ok /etc/cups/printers.conf says:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.5.3
# Written by cupsd
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<DefaultPrinter HP_LaserJet_1020_USB_FN2J3XV_HPLIP>
UUID urn:uuid:b64138b0-8988-3332-7fb6-7dbeebef5056
Info HP LaserJet 1020
Location Local Printer
MakeModel HP LaserJet 1020 Foomatic/foo2zjs (recommended)
DeviceURI hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1020?serial=FN2J3XV
State Idle
StateTime 1373615997
Type 8425476
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
AllowUser knoppix
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

Anyhow I checked the situation when printer is switched on after the system boot. It's OK firmware is loaded just after switching on the printer.
As for me the Thread can be closed. The printer is working and the only problem with starting CUPS before first printing is not so important - anyhow you have to do it only once. :)