PDA

View Full Version : simple question, yet hard to find an answer !

adyga
06-21-2003, 02:41 AM
I attached an additional HDD to my box + an additional CD-ROM drive, so how can I scan for new devices ? and after that mount them ?
too hard, I can't find an answer in the FAQ nor in the forum using search,
HELP ? :cry:

eadz
06-21-2003, 02:59 AM
There is no "scan for new hardware" program.

You will have to mount the devices manually. Ususally this is :

mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

where /dev/hdc is your cdrom drive, and you have created the directory /mnt/cdrom

fingers99
06-21-2003, 05:54 AM
Test them, just as eadz says as root. Then add an entry for each in your /etc/fstab (again, edit it as root) the lines in mine are:

/dev/hdc3 /mnt/hdc3 ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0

/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

Don't use these out of the crate, they're there only to give you an idea!

After you have them sorted (you may need man mount and/or man fstab) edit /etc/fstab and either reboot or as root do

mount -a

You can then -- if you like -- make clickeable icons in Kde from the right click > create new menu.

adyga
06-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks a lot for you help guys :D
I just found that /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/sr0 and this is a link to /dev/scd0, so logically I created a new link /dev/cdrom1 pointed to /dev/scd1, and added to fstab a similar to that of cdrom,
now my 2nd cdrom works :lol:
what is challenging now, if I would like to give up my sound card that is located on the motherboard and install a new one, how to check for it ? is it the same way, guessing inside /dev ??? ohh :roll:

Dave_Bechtel
06-21-2003, 08:54 PM
--This isn't exactly 100% applicable to HDs but it should work for CDROMs and soundcards and such:

' apt-get install discover '

I attached an additional HDD to my box + an additional CD-ROM drive, so how can I scan for new devices ? and after that mount them ?
too hard, I can't find an answer in the FAQ nor in the forum using search,
HELP ? :cry:

adyga
06-21-2003, 09:18 PM
wow, discover seems awesome, I installed the discover + discoverlib, hmm, I issued the command discover, nothing happens ? discover --devices, the same , what am I doing wrong here ? :roll:

monkeyman
06-21-2003, 11:26 PM
I would mention that we all have a "disk scanner", of sorts.
Just boot with the Knoppix CD and copy fstab as fstab.txt to your Home folder on the installed LINUX for reference.

Dave_Bechtel
06-22-2003, 08:25 PM
--If discover returns nothing new, I suggest you try playing a .wav or mp3 file and see if you get sound. ;-)

wow, discover seems awesome, I installed the discover + discoverlib, hmm, I issued the command discover, nothing happens ? discover --devices, the same , what am I doing wrong here ? :roll:

adyga
06-23-2003, 10:01 AM
thx dave for you nice advice :D
well that actually what I do usually after each experiment in Linux, to play a wav or mp3 and make sure the sound still alive at least :lol:
well, I am heading to England in the next few days, and I guess discovering such a great dist. like Knoppix is a good idea, specially that I am now completely bored with window$and how th things has to be upgraded just after install, and to add all stuff needed, but to be honest,I won't give up window$ at least for 2 things: Office, and some good games I like 3d shooter in window$.
greetz to all great Linux community :D

MorskNorsk
06-25-2003, 02:16 AM
...but to be honest,I won't give up window$ at least for 2 things: Office, and some good games I like 3d shooter in window$.
greetz to all great Linux community :D

I haven't missed anything with OpenOffice and Linux can run Quake and a slug of other games.

For sound you can disable the motherboards onboard sound in the BIOS. Once you put in a new sound card it should be fine as long as you know that it works with Linux and you load the right driver. Good Luck and have fun in England!